What's new

Am I using this correctly?

Bought this for 12.00 at a thrift store. It said on the sticker shaving mug. I now have now started to collect shaving mugs also...will it never end.:rolleyes: What I do is put very hot water just until it starts to come up through those holes, lather my soap on brush, apply to face and repace brush as seen. It keeps the brush and lather on the brush warm and also keeps the brush moist with the water coming through.
Is this how it supposed to be used? It looks nicer then the pics show. It also say Germany on the bottom. Thanks for any info!:tongue_sm

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

G

gone down south

The holes are to allow water to drain down out of your brush, I think.

From what I gather, you would put your brush in the large opening to keep it wet and warm between lathering for your next pass. Of course the handle is supposed to stick out. And the smaller holes are for the soapy water to drip back into the mug. So you always have hot lather when you shave.

From what I gather, you would put your brush in the large opening to keep it wet and warm between lathering for your next pass. Of course the handle is supposed to stick out. And the smaller holes are for the soapy water to drip back into the mug. So you always have hot lather when you shave.

Thank you sir, I will give that a try also. :tongue_sm

I believe the concept of using a scuttle to keep a brush warm is a fairly recent idea, originated by Dr. Chris Moss who came up with the idea for the Moss Scuttle.

The scuttle you have there is a very old design which was made to bring hot water and soap to your room for shaving in the days before running hot water. You'll notice that the Moss Scuttle (or any copy thereof) does not have holes in the bottom of its dish. Your scuttle does have these holes, because that section of the scuttle is meant to hold your soap, and let the water drain off of it so it doesn't sit in water. You dip your brush into the hot water of the main reservoir and then scrub it over the soap in order to make your lather.

I haven't seen a scuttle design like that before; it looks more like a moustache cup than a scuttle except for the holes. Usually the brush reservoir is to the side and under the soap holder. A lot of sellers on eBay try to sell moustache cups as shaving mugs anyway, and they obviously don't work well. Interesting to see how this one works.

I believe the concept of using a scuttle to keep a brush warm is a fairly recent idea, originated by Dr. Chris Moss who came up with the idea for the Moss Scuttle.

The scuttle you have there is a very old design which was made to bring hot water and soap to your room for shaving in the days before running hot water. You'll notice that the Moss Scuttle (or any copy thereof) does not have holes in the bottom of its dish. Your scuttle does have these holes, because that section of the scuttle is meant to hold your soap, and let the water drain off of it so it doesn't sit in water. You dip your brush into the hot water of the main reservoir and then scrub it over the soap in order to make your lather.

Thank you for your input, I find find that very interesting.

I haven't seen a scuttle design like that before; it looks more like a moustache cup than a scuttle except for the holes. Usually the brush reservoir is to the side and under the soap holder. A lot of sellers on eBay try to sell moustache cups as shaving mugs anyway, and they obviously don't work well. Interesting to see how this one works.

Looks like a moustache cup to me (saw one on Antiques Roadshow a while ago). Shaving mugs to me should look like this

Looks like a moustache cup to me (saw one on Antiques Roadshow a while ago). Shaving mugs to me should look like this
It does look a little like one, but the "mustache" part would have one hole on the rim to allow liquids to reach the mouth, not three holes right in the middle where the mustache would sit.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look a little like one, but the "mustache" part would have one hole on the rim to allow liquids to reach the mouth, not three holes right in the middle where the mustache would sit.

full
Coffee shaving...hmmm interesting...:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people are getting confused here. There's a difference between a shaving mug and a shaving scuttle.

mug looks like
attachment.php

scuttle looks like
proxy.php

you build lather in a scuttle/keep your brush warm, you transport water and keep soap in a mug

mug looks like
attachment.php

scuttle looks like
proxy.php

you build lather in a scuttle/keep your brush warm, you transport water and keep soap in a mug

I see a traditional scuttle, and a new-design modern scuttle, and no mugs.

proxy.php

There's a shaving mug.

proxy.php

There's another one.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am wondering how to use one of those also.

I can assume for the first picture that I would fill the bottom part with water. I will then leave my brush in the water. When ready I will lather in the bowl on top. Having the water will keep my lather warm.

Second one is where I am unsure. Here's what I think, let me know if I am not doing this properly.

Same than the other scuttle I will fill it with water. I will have a puck of soap on top and I will use it to face lather.

mug looks like
attachment.php

scuttle looks like
proxy.php

Maybe it's the difference between US and Aussie English, but both of those objects you showed are considered shaving scuttles. One is the old fashioned type, and the other is the newer design created by Chris Moss. the word "scuttle" was applied to the first item shown in your post, long before the Moss scuttle was invented. A shaving mug (here in the states at least) is simply a mug that you can keep soap in or build lather in.

What I do is put very hot water just until it starts to come up through those holes, lather my soap on brush, apply to face and replace brush as seen. It keeps the brush and lather on the brush warm and also keeps the brush moist with the water coming through.
Is this how it supposed to be used?

I'd say how it is "supposed to be used" is irrelevant. What's important is how well it works for you.

I have a similar one, but the "pocket" is a little deeper and has no holes. I face-lather, and it it does a great job of keeping my brush warm between passes.

Top Bottom