Razor:
Fatboy on the Loose #5
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: B&B Contributor's Brush
Soap: SV 70th
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230207_175914[1].jpg

Now that was a wonderful shave.

When @Tanuki first stumbled across the Fatboy on the Loose he had to use a butter knife to get it to open. I took it apart and straightened it up as best I could in my machinist' vise, polished it up with Simichrome and got it to shave nice, but it still looked kinda humble.

After a trip to BackRoadsGold for the Spa Treatment and some of Chris' magic she now shines and shaves great.

I have found that setting #5 works best for the entire shave, and left it there for both passes. The first WTG pass was so comfortable and close I almost stopped there, but my face was bugging me for another pass, and the lather that was warming up in my PAA brush warmer was perfectly hydrated, smooth and silky.

The Rudy Vey Contributor's brush is my favorite synthetic knot, soft with just enough backbone for scrub and painting.

The second ATG pass was just as comfortable as the WTG pass. After just shaving with all of my tech's, the only Tech I have that can make that boast is my FBT.

The Fatboy on the Loose was so comfortable that I decided on a third WTG pass on my neck and that was that.

The Witch hazel had that slick feeling with just a tinge of warmth, the Classic Vanilla stung very, very lightly, in a good way, and the Nivea balm was like a cozy blanket.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Tuesday SOTD

Razor:
Fatboy on the Loose #5
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: B&B Contributor's Brush
Soap: SV 70th
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
View attachment 1602368
Now that was a wonderful shave.

When @Tanuki first stumbled across the Fatboy on the Loose he had to use a butter knife to get it to open. I took it apart and straightened it up as best I could in my machinist' vise, polished it up with Simichrome and got it to shave nice, but it still looked kinda humble.

After a trip to BackRoadsGold for the Spa Treatment and some of Chris' magic she now shines and shaves great.

I have found that setting #5 works best for the entire shave, and left it there for both passes. The first WTG pass was so comfortable and close I almost stopped there, but my face was bugging me for another pass, and the lather that was warming up in my PAA brush warmer was perfectly hydrated, smooth and silky.

The Rudy Vey Contributor's brush is my favorite synthetic knot, soft with just enough backbone for scrub and painting.

The second ATG pass was just as comfortable as the WTG pass. After just shaving with all of my tech's, the only Tech I have that can make that boast is my FBT.

The Fatboy on the Loose was so comfortable that I decided on a third WTG pass on my neck and that was that.

The Witch hazel had that slick feeling with just a tinge of warmth, the Classic Vanilla stung very, very lightly, in a good way, and the Nivea balm was like a cozy blanket.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~
Love that brush, sir!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One Blade in February
Mixed Metal Fatip Friday

Razor:
Piccolo SE with SR Brass 36 gram handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6)
Brush: Omega 618
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
ASL: Proraso Red
20230210_182425[1].jpg

Tonight's shave was with an old friend, and a familiar blade.
My SE attacked three days of stubble with a roar, the combs guiding the blade down my face and around my jawline in a way that can only be described as magical.
After the first WTG pass, I dipped the Omega in my water mug to thin the lather a bit, then lathered up for second ATG pass.
Once I started on the ATG pass, intuition took over and the SE went freestyle until the roar went silent.
My face is smooth as ever, and my neck is close behind, having survived the onslaught without any apparent damage.
The Witch hazel let me know the shave was close, the Proraso Red reminded me just how close it was, and the Nivea balm was very welcome.

The SE is efficient first with comfort taking second place, I won't have to shave until Monday.

Have some Great Shaves
~doug~

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
One Blade in February
Mixed Metal Fatip Friday

Razor:
Piccolo SE with SR Brass 36 gram handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6)
Brush: Omega 618
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
View attachment 1604165
Tonight's shave was with an old friend, and a familiar blade.
My SE attacked three days of stubble with a roar, the combs guiding the blade down my face and around my jawline in a way that can only be described as magical.
After the first WTG pass, I dipped the Omega in my water mug to thin the lather a bit, then lathered up for second ATG pass.
Once I started on the ATG pass, intuition took over and the SE went freestyle until the roar went silent.
My face is smooth as ever, and my neck is close behind, having survived the onslaught without any apparent damage.
The Witch hazel let me know the shave was close, the Proraso Red reminded me just how close it was, and the Nivea balm was very welcome.

The SE is efficient first with comfort taking second place, I won't have to shave until Monday.

Have some Great Shaves
~doug~
I guess I should purchase some Proraso Red splash to match my Proraso Red soap. I just tried the soap for the first time and really enjoyed it. 😁

Enjoy your weekend, Doug!

Perfect description of the SE - That's just how I'd describe the experience using the SE @Guido75 generously gifted me.

It looks A LOT better with your handle than the somewhat slippery black plated stock one :drool::drool::001_tt1: Very nice!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One Blade in February
Two Tone Sunday

Razor:
Two Tone Slim J3 #4
Blade: Gillette Platinum (7)
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: PdP 63
20230212_105004.jpg

Man I feel like James Bond today. Not only is my newly re-plated by Back Roads Gold Slim a visual stunner, it shaves GREAT!
Yeah, I know the Slim that 007 used in Goldfinger was a J4, but I wasn't on a jet plane.

I went for a two pass WTG/ATG shave, but it morphed into a third cleanup pass using nothing but water and the residual lather left after the ATG pass.
The razor is that comfortable on setting #4. I might click it up to #5 or #6 for the next shave to see if it stays comfortable on the higher settings or just needs a fresher blade.
Today's shave was pretty darn close.
The fresh blade will have to wait until next month, this is One Blade in February after all.

Even though my Two Tone Slim was the star of the show, my PJ2 deserves an honorable mention.
When I got it, it was the most expensive brush I had ever bought, and I was disappointed with it's performance at first, too much scritch and the backbone of a tree trunk.
I weathered on and kept putting it into the rotation, at least once a week, even though I was severely unimpressed with it.
Hey, I wanted to get my money's worth!
Then guess what, all of a sudden it turned into a ***** cat's paw, the scritch went away, it lost half it's backbone, and is now my favorite brush. Go figure.

The Witch hazel let me know I had a close shave, the Proraso Red had a calming slow burn then soothed, and the Nivea balm sealed the deal.

Have a Great Two Tone Shave

~doug~

This is probably a dumb question, but the handle you used with the Fatip OC - is that custom made M4.5 for it or are you using a M5 made handle? You being a machinist I am assuming you want snug fittings rather than hobbyist flimsy ones, but I could be wrong of course.

I think it looks amazing on the Special Edition by the way!!

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This is probably a dumb question, but the handle you used with the Fatip OC - is that custom made M4.5 for it or are you using a M5 made handle? You being a machinist I am assuming you want snug fittings rather than hobbyist flimsy ones, but I could be wrong of course.

I think it looks amazing on the Special Edition by the way!!

Guido
Guido, one of my machine shop instructors always said the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
I also learned over the years that I rarely got loosely threaded parts rejected, but the tight ones always came back.

No one wants tight threads!

There is a general rule of thumb when it comes to ID threads that 65%-75% full thread is 95% as strong as a 100% thread, but takes half the energy to form the threads. In many alloy steel and bronze applications a 55% thread is all that is necessary.

Sometimes when I get the tolerances just right, I do get an M5 thread to fit a Fatip M4.5 to fit plenty snug, but now always. :thumbsup:

~doug~

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Guido, one of my machine shop instructors always said the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
I also learned over the years that I rarely got loosely threaded parts rejected, but the tight ones always came back.

No one wants tight threads!

There is a general rule of thumb when it comes to ID threads that 65%-75% full thread is 95% as strong as a 100% thread, but takes half the energy to form the threads. In many alloy steel and bronze applications a 55% thread is all that is necessary.

Sometimes when I get the tolerances just right, I do get an M5 thread to fit a Fatip M4.5 to fit plenty snug, but now always. :thumbsup:

~doug~

Is that industry specific, Doug? Because that made me cringe a bit. Also, is that 65%-75% in terms of truncated threads, or length of engagement?

If it's length of engagement, the key is for it to at least equal the major diameter. That way, the total cross sectional area of all threads in play, equals the cross sectional area of the bolt (assuming it's solid), and a bolt will snap before threads are stripped. So if thread engagement was designed to be D x 1.5, then yes, D x 1.0 to D x 1.1 is going to be good enough in a lot of instances, assuming similar materials/tensile strength on both parts.

Different rules for dissimilar metals though.

If it's truncated threads, it very much depends on the materials in play. Let's assume one has a higher tensile strength than the other. The weaker material can suffer a somewhat truncated thread and retain overall strength, as the load from the full thread, is still acting at close to the thread root in the weaker material, and the stronger material can withstand a thread acting a little further away from the root. If however the stronger material has the truncated thread (lets say it's missing 25% off the top, i.e. 75% thread depth), the weaker material's thread quickly loses strength, as the thread cross sectional area at the extent of the thread engagement (and therefore shear strength of that thread), has also dropped by 25%.

Apologies for the hijack. :blushing:

Sometimes when I get the tolerances just right, I do get an M5 thread to fit a Fatip M4.5 to fit plenty snug, but not always. :thumbsup:

As a complete non-machinist, non-mechanical engineer, and non-materials scientist I follow the doctrine "if it feels good, do it!" when it comes to fitting cross-standard razor parts together.

For the most part, it don't feel very good to me. I mainly stick with Fatip Piccolo and other 4.5M for Fatip heads. I keep M5 and 10-32 away from my vintage Gillette.

But...

I am extremely fortunate to have a number of exquisite Rosseforp short 'n' skinny (and light) handles that didn't arrive with specifications/documentation for their female threads. One is the perfect finishing touch for my brass Karve. A couple others are great to provide quality and variety for vintage Gillette heads. And several are right at home cozying up to M5x.8 heads made by the usual modern suspects.

I haven't tried any of the Rosseforp handles on my Fatip heads, so that has been duly added to my near-infinite shaving hobby to-do list. :001_rolle
This is probably a dumb question, but the handle you used with the Fatip OC - is that custom made M4.5 for it or are you using a M5 made handle?
So thanks, @Guido75 !! I needed more questions to ponder in DE-space. :punk:

I do get an M5 thread to fit a Fatip M4.5 to fit plenty snug, but now always
Which is my layman experience as well - a fat handle is quite ok on a Fatip. Although I tend to keep Fatip with Fatip handles.

As for @Tanuki - interesting that you keep M5 away from your vintage Gillettes. I use after market handles more than the OEM ones (although not lately I must admit). What’s the reasoning if I may ask? (always more to learn!)

Guido

I have not tried every M5 handle in my collection, but the ones I have tried either don't snug up or just feel wrong.
Ah, ok - I might have been lucky then. My handles do not feel overly fit. And must admit that more recently I have revisited my approach and find that OEM with the right razor is more period fit.

Thanks!

Guido

Top Bottom