What's new

Razorock Lupo, your thoughts and opinions on this de razor?

Let me qualify my statement above. Had I not recently purchased my RR GC 68-P and my GC 84-P, I'd probably purchase the Lupo 72.

I just think there's too much overlap in performance to justify the purchase.

I also believe the Game Changer and Lupo series of razors are the best bang for the buck on the market.

b/r

ON_1
I agree, and truly think the Lupo DC might just be the best overall; it is a unique offering that covers a lot of bases for me. As I have been posting, I've lately been loading mine up with a Kai and my Lupo .95OC has been getting lonely. With a mild blade, the DC is a easy daily driver. I often start on the .72OC side for initial pass and clean up on the .95SB side. I really think it is a uniquely GREAT razor.

R

romsitsa

The Lupo "is the same" as the Wolfman, because hype sells.
The Wolfman is basically a Gillette Tech, only more work hours are involved in finishing.
So the Lupo is a better (than mass produced garbage) looking Tech for those who do not want a used Tech.

The Wolfman is basically a Gillette Tech, only more work hours are involved in finishing.
So the Lupo is a better (than mass produced garbage) looking Tech for those who do not want a used Tech.
I disagree with this. My experience is based on Lupos 72sb and 95oc and a prewar Tech.

The Lupo and the Tech are both three piece razors. They feel totally different in the hand, and totally different on the face. Both Lupos are more aggressive than my Tech, but also more smooth-gliding. I'll admit that the latter is likely due to a better finish, but may also be because of the increased weight.

I enjoy them all, but they aren't the same thing to a hobbyist.

I just got a Lupo 72 Super Kurl and tried it twice so far. I am VERY impressed. That handle is fantastic and much better than expected. I had a spare Ti Halo handle I tried also and not sure which I prefer yet. It looks really good and shaves great for the price. I haven't found anything to beat my Timeless Ti 68 scalloped but this Lupo really performs! It feels sort of in between the Timeless 68 and 95 I use. It's more efficient than the 68 but not quite as smooth. Very good jawline razor. No fancy box and not as perfect a build or polish as a Timeless but for the price it's a wow!!! Actually it gives the shave I expected from the blackbird lite hype. I personally can't say one good thing about the blackbird for me other than they're made in USA. The look, weight, handle, performance all didn't work for me. The Lupo is a terrific deal and immediately took the #2 slot behind my Timeless titanium. I bought a Timeless Aluminum (very nice), Flexi Pearl (needs more trial but good), and the Lupo all recently and the Lupo 72 is the best of the 3! I was so impressed by the Lupo & the Super Knurl handle I decided to order a Superslant when they came back in stock the other day. It comes with the same handle. Excited to try a slant. Hopefully that ends my RAD until my name comes up on Wolfman. We'll see if a WR2 .95 SB / scalloped cap with a Timeless Ti crown handle can knock them all down a notch and take #1. The Lupo 72 is a great razor in my book!

😂 a razor surely can't "hype" me.. no matter how much i love a good shave. there are definitely more important things in this world. there are in fact good, or less good razors out there though. the lupo, is at least one of the better ones. that, i am very certain about. completely without any kind of hype involved. if the lupo stainless steel or wolfman wr1 razors are in any way like a gillette tech i don't know for certain, because i simply don't own a wr1 or a gillette tech. after closely inspecting some pictures of these heads from a side angle, and comparing the blade alignments plus the way these razors bend a blade, i'm pretty sure neither the wolfman nor the lupo, is a exact copy of a tech. lupo's and wolfman wr1 razors, pretty obviously, bend the blade in quite a different way.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Having shaved with my Lupo 95 a bit since acquiring it 2 weeks ago I find myself learning to get the most from it. The supplied HD handle is much too heavy for the razor and for my first 2 shaves effected performance. Now that I am more used to it I find that I am getting excellent shaves although I am thinking of acquiring a different handle (possibly the thin bar or titanium haloed handle mainly due to the weight). An excellent razor altogether

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am thinking of acquiring a different handle (possibly the thin bar or titanium haloed handle mainly due to the weight). An excellent razor altogether
Against my preference for wide, long and heavy I also prefer rather thin and lightweight handle for the Lupo head. It is a rather small and flat head, after all. I like the Yaqi 88mm stainless steel and the Yaqi Milano handle (both rather thin 11 or 12mm) handles for the Lupos and Yaqi Clones a lot. Your hunch with the thin bar is IMO spot on. Also, and in general always, a good fit is the Timeless Ti Crown handle.

Used the Lupo 72 SB 3 times now. First with super knurl. Was better than expected but little heavy. 2nd day was the ti halo handle w some o-rings for grip. Very good. Today I used Timeless ti crown handle and was best so far. But my hand is used to that handle and lighter weight. That handle just can't be beat for me. I highly recommend it also, for every razor haha. Every use I love this Lupo even more. It just shaves amazingly for me. Even more so with lighter handle. YMMV

The Tech and the Wolfman WR1 bear little in common.

However, the Wolfman WR1 and the Lupo are, in fact, very similar, certainly in the way they shave. That part is not hype.

I recently did a four-shave side-by-side comparison of a Wolfman 0.61 with a Lupo 0.58 and (for me) they are essentially the same razor except that the Lupo is better under the nose. Oh, and it costs a fraction of the Wolfman.

But neither of them is like a Tech.

I received a Lupo DC head today. The 95 side is definitely more aggressive than the 72 head. It was a very nice shave. Similar result, but a little more aggressive and not as comfortable as my Timeless Ti 95. Had a couple tiny nicks on neck sideways but user error I'm sure. For a first use it was very good. I wouldn't want any more aggressive. These Lupos are excellent, especially for the price. However, after shaving with the Superslant the last couple of days it's going to be tough to use anything but it for awhile.

Had to use the Timeless ti95 today to compare to the Lupo DC. The Timeless did no better of a shave and took more touch up around my chin resulting in a little irritation. I was trying too hard to get the same smoothness as the Lupo DC. The Lupo DC is more efficient than the Timeless 95 for me. Probably due to the OC. But for a normal shave with the 95 it is more comfortable and almost as smooth shave result. The Lupo DC has knocked the Timeless down a peg!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Had to use the Timeless ti95 today to compare to the Lupo DC.
I just read in another thread that you are likely referring to the SCL/scalloped head version.

My first Timeless was the version "The Gift" with this kind of bar and the Pineapple handle. Turned out I like neither.
But I already repeated this several times, the OC version of the SS/Ti Timeless .95 heads is divine.

You basically get more efficiency but it still feels very safe and smooth, almost like a bar. I attribute this due to the "bent" way the the "teeth" are actually formed in their case. One still gets a bit more exposure, particularly when exerting a little bit of pressure.

Alternatively, you can get the Slim plate (again, OC recommended). But this one is hard to recommend, because while I do like it the most, it is a bit difficult to shave smooth with (holding a shallower angle without guidance, basically) if you want to feel next to nothing, but actually it excels at going steep to vertical when scraping away stubble remnants etc..

It's quite a different type of plate.

Titanium is not available as Scratch&Dent head IIRC, unfortunately. You might rather get a full SS head S&D maybe. It might be worth a try if you like Timeless otherwise.

This said, the Wolfman clones by Razorock and Wolfman clones in general are damn awesome and usually a lot cheaper.

I just read in another thread that you are likely referring to the SCL/scalloped head version.

My first Timeless was the version "The Gift" with this kind of bar and the Pineapple handle. Turned out I like neither.
But I already repeated this several times, the OC version of the SS/Ti Timeless .95 heads is divine.

You basically get more efficiency but it still feels very safe and smooth, almost like a bar. I attribute this due to the "bent" way the the "teeth" are actually formed in their case. One still gets a bit more exposure, particularly when exerting a little bit of pressure.

Alternatively, you can get the Slim plate (again, OC recommended). But this one is hard to recommend, because while I do like it the most, it is a bit difficult to shave smooth with (holding a shallower angle without guidance, basically) if you want to feel next to nothing, but actually it excels at going steep to vertical when scraping away stubble remnants etc..

Titanium is not available as Scratch&Dent head IIRC, unfortunately. You might rather get a full SS head S&D maybe. It might be worth a try if you like Timeless otherwise.

This said, the Wolfman clones by Razorock and Wolfman clones in general are damn awesome and usually a lot cheaper.
Thanks for your comments. Yes mine is the scalloped ti 95 base. I like it and it's always satisfied me until recently. Since using the Superslant and now the Lupo DC I've found the Timeless 95 just doesn't shave as close sideways under my chin. The ti 68 (also scalloped) actually does better there for me than the 95. Overall I prefer the 68 over the 95. Maybe my angle under chin needs to change with the 95.

I'm sure you're correct on the 95 OC doing better. Before the Lupo DC the only OC I had ever used was the R41 and it was too much for me as a daily razor so I have been leary of buying OC. The Lupo 72 OC isn't bad at all.

I'm not going to spend any more on Timeless right now because my Wolfman spot is due soon, really like the Lupo and in love with the Superslant. The L1++ is fantastic and I'm waiting on an L2++ base now.

I may sell the Timeless 95 base eventually but keep the 68. I agree these RazoRock razors are awesome. My overlooking them was a mistake.

It turns out my problem with the Ti 95 was technique. It had always worked great before, but I've been using too many razors lately that use a shallower angle. Once I put the timeless back to a steeper angle especially on my neck it was bbs like the Lupo, but a more comfortable shave. I will get a Ti OC .95 base sometime, it would get me to the same result quicker. Or maybe try trading my scalloped base for an OC if I ever see one.

Iridian, you were right on the money about the Timeless Ti OC. It is much more efficient and not harsh at all. Super fantastic shave. I'm sure I'll eventually get rid of my ti95 scl base. The Lupo DC did so well it also helped end my hesitation of open combs. The OC works much better for me on hard to get trouble spots.

I like it for the light weight (do not like heavy razors) but wish it had a longer handle. It is hard to find a substitute long aluminum handle so I'm going to try a cheap Gillette Sterling plastic handle.

I've got the Lupo .95 SB on a Super Knurl handle. Loaded with my preferred Bic chrome blade it cuts like a lightsaber.

Mine is on 'special occasion' duty only. My beard is pretty light and I prefer to shave daily so I use a Mentor for that.

The Lupo leaves my face like glass after one pass and I could probably go 48 hrs until the next one if I had to. Just 'off the chart' efficiency.

Post-shave is the best of any of my razors since it doesn't require additional passes, buffing or touchups.

It truly is an amazing tool. It just shaves too close and requires too much focus for me to use it everyday.

Top Bottom