What's new

New to DE shaving...and I'm Hooked.

Get one of each
1 Vintage (Gillette Tech or Redtip)
1 Open comb (Muhle R41)
1 Slant (Merkur 39C)
1 Adjustable (Merkur Progress)
1 Mild closed comb (EJDE89 or Muhle R89)
You know, the classics...

So for fun I took stock of the favorites in the Top 3 Fave thread and compiled the data... top was Gillette Tech, followed by Razorock Game Changer and Razorock Lupo, with Rockwell 6S/C as close runner up.

So I'm going to make a vintage Tech my next razor! See if I can find a nice one :D

So for fun I took stock of the favorites in the Top 3 Fave thread and compiled the data... top was Gillette Tech, followed by Razorock Game Changer and Razorock Lupo, with Rockwell 6S/C as close runner up.

So I'm going to make a vintage Tech my next razor! See if I can find a nice one :D

I'll be the first to admit that I am a Tech fanboy, and it is a great place to start (and finish, if that is possible 😄😄😄)

Of course there are modern razors that also perform very well, and another of my favorites is the Game Changer 68P. Rounding out my top three would be the Feather ASD2, which to me is essentially a modern Tech knockoff, beautifully made from stainless steel.

Great choice and happy shaves with your Tech. You should be able to easily find a nice one for around $20US or even less, depending on condition.

And so it begins...
white-rabbit-hole-header.jpg

Thanks guys for your time and guidance. Its fun, and I have to say its a nice thing. We as men don't usually get to pamper ourselves, and do something that is just for us that doesn't involve someone else in some way.

That said, my wife can't stop running her hands over my smooth face after a shave now... I may go back to head shaving.... :D

Welcome to the rabbit hole! I can’t offer much advice on new razors… but among my favorite vintage razors are my Gillette fat handle Techs made in Canada. Great for someone new to the sport!

Welcome!
I'm a relative newcomer myself, having converted to wet shaving a couple of months ago after decades of cartridge razors, electric shavers, etc.
Lots of good advice already in this thread. I agree with those who said don't add too many variables. Stick with just a few blade/razor/soap combinations so you can get a good read. I actually have gone to the extreme of keeping a spreadsheet with columns for Blade/Razor/Soap/Brush/Number of uses per blade/Comments. Not that I'm Mr. Scientific but it does help me keep track of blades I like and don't like, etc.
Blade samplers are a great idea, as you've discovered. It's funny how some blades that almost everybody likes (Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue) didn't do a thing for me and some that others don't care for (Derby Extra) work just great for me in my razors with my face.
Anyway, have fun with it. I know I have. I genuinely look forward to shaving now every day, which I used to view as just a chore. I get a kick out of the process now; lathering up the soap (or not in the case of Cremo, which I love), even choosing which razor and blade to use, etc. It's my Morning Moment Of Zen, with nobody bothering me - aside from my cat sometimes and he's forgiven - and I get the cleanest shave in my life. And I'm turning 70 this year so I've had a lot of shaves!
Good luck and have fun!

Okay, I will chime in here. Since you are in Canada, Karve & Italian Barber would be good choices (I haven't tried a Henson). For Karve I would recommend the Overlander either in Aluminum or Brass. I have both and had the Brass plated in 24K gold. It's an excellent mild but efficient razor, little to no blade feel. As to Italian Barber, I have only had the Game Changer in the .68P and the .84P of the two I would recommend the .68P. It's mild and efficient but has a little blade feel.

I only have 4 years into "Wet Shaving" and it's addictive. My advice would be to buy a good razor, use it for some time before you try something else. As many have stated, this hobby is a big, big rabbit hole you can fall into. I did just that, bought multiple vintage Gillette razors then started buying modern DE razors. Then I fell into the hole buying soaps, brushes, bowls and I then got into Vintage Schick Injectors. My meds kicked in and I sold most of what I had bought after I figured out my favorites. I slipped recently and started buying Vintage Schick Injectors again. As you can see it's a never ending cycle. Just learn to control your urges for more equipment, soap, brushes and bowls.

Yes, it is unusual for a man to be able to pamper himself. This wonderful hobby allows for that.

Top Bottom