What's new

My Review of the Truefitt & Hill shave cream lineup

Hey again everyone, just finished up a sampler pack of each of Truefitt & Hills shaving cream lineup and am ready to give my review on the cream itself and the various scents they come in. My overall impressions are simply put that it is a very nice performing and scented cream. As I'll get to later, its the best performing cream I've ever used and the scents are classy, aromatic - cologne type scents that are a perfect 5/10 in scent strength. It's formulation however is not a particularly natural or clean one and even contains parabens (minus the ultracomfort cream).

Performance:
This product is a great performing cream. It is not the most product efficient cream and requires a little more cream than usual to get the lather I like but the slickness, feeling of protection, post-shave and especially residual slickness are the best I've ever gotten out of a cream. The lather is dense and silky, doesn't leave residue on the face or the razor and rinses off with a gentle splash of water. It can take a slightly above normal amount of water and as expected doesn't really dry up or degrade over the 10-20min it takes to shave and clean everything up. The post-shave is very good. My skin is smooth, clean, supple and my skin didn't react to any of the fragrances. The residual slickness in particular easily eclipses every other cream I've ever used, in fact its better than many soaps I've used too. Overall, this product is an excellent performer and if scent doesn't matter to you, I can easily recommend it on this basis alone.

The Scents:
1805: Good
This is your typical, oceaninc aquatic cologne scent but very pleasing. Not too sweet, not too cloying. Just nice and fresh. Very reminiscent of an up market mens body wash. Think Ocean/sea salt type scents but rather bright and airy with fruity notes mixed in. Not my favourite out of the line-up but a great all-round scent.

Apsley: Excellent
A bit difficult to describe scent, to me its a dry woody accord with some mild citrus, vetiver and musk notes that combine together to make something like a green tobacco accord. The darkest scent (but not really a dark scent) in the lineup. Its not particularly ashy or incense like but instead just a nice, masculine aroma that swings between tobacco-esque and woody cologne. I really liked it, its quite unique and cedarwood is one of my all time favourite notes. I'm not sure this will be a complete crowd pleaser but for me, its a nice elegant woody fragrance that doesn't have the sharpness and ash-like, burning wood quality that some other similar scents have.

Grafton: Ok
This is just a soapy, green, fougere like scent. Its basically the perfect medium of fougeres, its woody but not overly so, not particularly strong on spice or floral notes, just kind of green and cologne like. Its soapy, powdery, herbacious, light, somewhat woody, sort of spicy and thats it. If you like Drakkar Noir, Rive Gauche, Polo Green....you'll like this and find it to be a pleasant middle ground between all of the 3. I don't mind it, but its just ok to me. Not something I would buy a full tub of personally.

Sandalwood: Excellent
A brisk Sandalwood cologne scent that to me melds Creed Santal and Creed Aventus in nearly a perfect 50/50 ratio. I like both fragrances but together they make something thats right up my alley. Make no mistake, this has nothing in common with Sandalwoods from TOBS, DRH, Proraso etc. This is absolutely a fresh, sweet, effervescent cologne scent with unmistakable melon and pineapple notes and a sweet sandalwood accord thats not woody or creamy at all. The sandalwood stops the cologne from entering gourmand territory but its not a woodsy, amber type fragrance. I really enjoyed this one but would probably prefer to grab the AS or EdT more than the cream. Thats how much I like this scent, which is unusual since I don't tend to like scents like this one, but they really did a good job on this imo.

Trafalgar: Bad
Smells like musky, musty non-existence to me. Like an old book that has been abused for 20 years and then forgotten on a shelf in the library for another 20. Dusty, dry, somehow a little sweet that even takes on vanilla characteristics at times. Just can't recommend it at all. A really odd combo of scents that each work to make the other smell worse.

Ultimate Comfort: Good
Technically unscented, this cream features lavender essential oil as a skin conditioning, soothing and anti-septic agent. perhaps a 0.5/10 strength lavender scent that like most lavender scents is quite a dark, masculine floral that smells like fennel mixed with anise to me. Barely noticeable, I had to really take a second to look for it. For all intents and purposes this cream is unscented. I only really noticed a 'scent' at the very end of the shave when rinsing everything. The formulation also (apparently, though I'm not sure if this is a website error or not) omits parabens and some of the other synthetic chemicals and features real, organic lavender oil. If you need an unscented option, this is it.

West Indian Limes: Excellent
The nicest straight up citrus scent I've used so far. Its not a sweet, candy/lolly like scent that has more in common with skittles, lemon sherbert or all-purpose cleaner but rather a tart, zesty, bitter lime scent. To me, there is even a mild doughy accord that adds a subtle green-earthiness to the scent as the brightness and sharpness of the lime cuts through. I really was bracing for another yuck tier cream that I could barely stomach since it was so sweet but again was pleasantly surprised. You get the full lime scent too, lime oil, lime peel, lime juice and lime flesh. They all come together here. There are other citrus notes in the composition, but I could only pick out a very distinct lime and an earthy, doughy scent in the base. Comes off a little medicinal but in a pleasant way, kind of like bayrum (note: it doesn't smell like bayrum just comparing the pleasant medicinal esque vibe it gives.

In summary, I really liked almost all of them. The scents range from crazy good to quite bad depending on tastes but the performance is unmistakble. The ingredient formulation could be better and I hope they clean it up but that seems like wishful thinking. What have you guys thought about them?

Last edited:
Very nice. I've been meaning to try their sandalwood.
It is a very classic take on it and concur that it does stand alone - my fave Sandalwood.

I’m a big user of 1805 in their cream tub and Apsley & Sandalwood in soap puck. For some reason, SW in tube form regularly dried on my face during use.

I’d give another tube a go at some point soon; maybe for an upcoming trip to Tokyo

It is a very classic take on it and concur that it does stand alone - my fave Sandalwood.

I’m a big user of 1805 in their cream tub and Apsley & Sandalwood in soap puck. For some reason, SW in tube form regularly dried on my face during use.

I’d give another tube a go at some point soon; maybe for an upcoming trip to Tokyo
Do you notice a difference in scents between the creams and soaps? Some companies use different fragrances between the two despite naming them the same. Would you say the performance is the same too? Just curious

Do you notice a difference in scents between the creams and soaps? Some companies use different fragrances between the two despite naming them the same. Would you say the performance is the same too? Just curious
The only difference really is strength from what I can tell. The tubs carry the strongest scent, followed by the tube, and then the puck.

By strongest, I mean it is heavier but still dissipates after a modest time. The fragrance from the puck will have pretty much faded out and become undistinguished once you move onto a splash or balm.

As for performance, I prefer the lather I generate off the puck, as I can control it better. Cream (IMO) is the best format to enjoy the fragrances; also best for a relaxing yet lazy kind of morning.

Apsley, as far as I know, is the only soap Truefitt’s reformulated. I never had an issue with my Sandalwood puck, but Apsley is on another level.

Hey again everyone, just finished up a sampler pack of each of Truefitt & Hills shaving cream lineup and am ready to give my review on the cream itself and the various scents they come in. My overall impressions are simply put that it is a very nice performing and scented cream. As I'll get to later, its the best performing cream I've ever used and the scents are classy, aromatic - cologne type scents that are a perfect 5/10 in scent strength. It's formulation however is not a particularly natural or clean one and even contains parabens (minus the ultracomfort cream).

Performance:
This product is a great performing cream. It is not the most product efficient cream and requires a little more cream than usual to get the lather I like but the slickness, feeling of protection, post-shave and especially residual slickness are the best I've ever gotten out of a cream. The lather is dense and silky, doesn't leave residue on the face or the razor and rinses off with a gentle splash of water. It can take a slightly above normal amount of water and as expected doesn't really dry up or degrade over the 10-20min it takes to shave and clean everything up. The post-shave is very good. My skin is smooth, clean, supple and my skin didn't react to any of the fragrances. The residual slickness in particular easily eclipses every other cream I've ever used, in fact its better than many soaps I've used too. Overall, this product is an excellent performer and if scent doesn't matter to you, I can easily recommend it on this basis alone.

The Scents:
1805: Good
This is your typical, oceaninc aquatic cologne scent but very pleasing. Not too sweet, not too cloying. Just nice and fresh. Very reminiscent of an up market mens body wash. Think Ocean/sea salt type scents but rather bright and airy with fruity notes mixed in. Not my favourite out of the line-up but a great all-round scent.

Apsley: Excellent
A bit difficult to describe scent, to me its a dry woody accord with some mild citrus, vetiver and musk notes that combine together to make something like a green tobacco accord. The darkest scent (but not really a dark scent) in the lineup. Its not particularly ashy or incense like but instead just a nice, masculine aroma that swings between tobacco-esque and woody cologne. I really liked it, its quite unique and cedarwood is one of my all time favourite notes. I'm not sure this will be a complete crowd pleaser but for me, its a nice elegant woody fragrance that doesn't have the sharpness and ash-like, burning wood quality that some other similar scents have.

Grafton: Ok
This is just a soapy, green, fougere like scent. Its basically the perfect medium of fougeres, its woody but not overly so, not particularly strong on spice or floral notes, just kind of green and cologne like. Its soapy, powdery, herbacious, light, somewhat woody, sort of spicy and thats it. If you like Drakkar Noir, Rive Gauche, Polo Green....you'll like this and find it to be a pleasant middle ground between all of the 3. I don't mind it, but its just ok to me. Not something I would buy a full tub of personally.

Sandalwood: Excellent
A brisk Sandalwood cologne scent that to me melds Creed Santal and Creed Aventus in nearly a perfect 50/50 ratio. I like both fragrances but together they make something thats right up my alley. Make no mistake, this has nothing in common with Sandalwoods from TOBS, DRH, Proraso etc. This is absolutely a fresh, sweet, effervescent cologne scent with unmistakable melon and pineapple notes and a sweet sandalwood accord thats not woody or creamy at all. The sandalwood stops the cologne from entering gourmand territory but its not a woodsy, amber type fragrance. I really enjoyed this one but would probably prefer to grab the AS or EdT more than the cream. Thats how much I like this scent, which is unusual since I don't tend to like scents like this one, but they really did a good job on this imo.

Trafalgar: Bad
Smells like musky, musty non-existence to me. Like an old book that has been abused for 20 years and then forgotten on a shelf in the library for another 20. Dusty, dry, somehow a little sweet that even takes on vanilla characteristics at times. Just can't recommend it at all. A really odd combo of scents that each work to make the other smell worse.

Ultimate Comfort: Good
Technically unscented, this cream features lavender essential oil as a skin conditioning, soothing and anti-septic agent. perhaps a 0.5/10 strength lavender scent that like most lavender scents is quite a dark, masculine floral that smells like fennel mixed with anise to me. Barely noticeable, I had to really take a second to look for it. For all intents and purposes this cream is unscented. I only really noticed a 'scent' at the very end of the shave when rinsing everything. The formulation also (apparently, though I'm not sure if this is a website error or not) omits parabens and some of the other synthetic chemicals and features real, organic lavender oil. If you need an unscented option, this is it.

West Indian Limes: Excellent
The nicest straight up citrus scent I've used so far. Its not a sweet, candy/lolly like scent that has more in common with skittles, lemon sherbert or all-purpose cleaner but rather a tart, zesty, bitter lime scent. To me, there is even a mild doughy accord that adds a subtle green-earthiness to the scent as the brightness and sharpness of the lime cuts through. I really was bracing for another yuck tier cream that I could barely stomach since it was so sweet but again was pleasantly surprised. You get the full lime scent too, lime oil, lime peel, lime juice and lime flesh. They all come together here. There are other citrus notes in the composition, but I could only pick out a very distinct lime and an earthy, doughy scent in the base. Comes off a little medicinal but in a pleasant way, kind of like bayrum (note: it doesn't smell like bayrum just comparing the pleasant medicinal esque vibe it gives.

In summary, I really liked almost all of them. The scents range from crazy good to quite bad depending on tastes but the performance is unmistakble. The ingredient formulation could be better and I hope they clean it up but that seems like wishful thinking. What have you guys thought about them?
These are spot on scent descriptions, well done! (I haven't smelled Trafalgar and Ultimate Comfort, though).

Regarding Apsley, it is a dupe of the Terre d'Hermes fragrance (in the EdT version). There is perhaps a tad more grapefruit than orange in the scent of the cream, however, to me it is otherwise still a super close match with the EdT. I totally dig it. Totally!

Abother favourite of mine is 1805. Tard and fresh, just as the OP has described it...

Coincidentally, I had planned to do a "T&H focus week" in course of this month or in March when I spotted this thread... I'll post a link here when I open the thread... Perhaps you might join me😉

Cheers!

great report, thx!
and their sampler pack is a really good way to explore!
t&h limes also a favorite here!

truefitt hill limes july 1 2013-3252s.jpg

These are spot on scent descriptions, well done! (I haven't smelled Trafalgar and Ultimate Comfort, though).

Regarding Apsley, it is a dupe of the Terre d'Hermes fragrance (in the EdT version). There is perhaps a tad more grapefruit than orange in the scent of the cream, however, to me it is otherwise still a super close match with the EdT. I totally dig it. Totally!

Abother favourite of mine is 1805. Tard and fresh, just as the OP has described it...

Coincidentally, I had planned to do a "T&H focus week" in course of this month or in March when I spotted this thread... I'll post a link here when I open the thread... Perhaps you might join me😉

Cheers!
wow I didn't really get TdH at all...but now that I think about it...it is in the ballpark. Though I would say that TdH is a much dryer, orange forward scent. I would also say that for me, I didn't make the connection until you mentioned it and at least for me, I don't think the cream is a particularly close dupe.

While I've always liked the performance of T&H creams, I've always found that their scents are not as good as the TOBS creams that I like. I think the Lime scent is downright fakey. Given the price difference between T&H and TOBS, I've dropped use of all T&H creams as they had nothing to offer me.

While I've always liked the performance of T&H creams, I've always found that their scents are not as good as the TOBS creams that I like. I think the Lime scent is downright fakey. Given the price difference between T&H and TOBS, I've dropped use of all T&H creams as they had nothing to offer me.
Fair enough. They are pretty pricey creams. I completely disagree with you in regards to the lime scent where I thought TOBS lime was genuinely awful and far to synthetic and sweet for my taste where as this one was much more natural to my nose. Just another YMMV thing.

Fair enough. They are pretty pricey creams. I completely disagree with you in regards to the lime scent where I thought TOBS lime was genuinely awful and far to synthetic and sweet for my taste where as this one was much more natural to my nose. Just another YMMV thing.

Yes, absolutely. Everybody's schnoz is different. As an example, I'm going through some samples of Stone Cottage creams right now. The scents range from "meh" to downright disgusting, based on my nose. I'm sure others love it.

Yes, absolutely. Everybody's schnoz is different. As an example, I'm going through some samples of Stone Cottage creams right now. The scents range from "meh" to downright disgusting, based on my nose. I'm sure others love it.
So true, that some of us love Stone Cottage scents. In particular, Hespirede. It may be Jersey, not London, but he nailed that scent. Have you tried that one?

So true, that some of us love Stone Cottage scents. In particular, Hespirede. It may be Jersey, not London, but he nailed that scent. Have you tried that one?

No, I haven't tried that one. The Cedre Noir is decent, so I may buy one of those.

Top Bottom