What's new

Grammys

I think I have achieved some kind of breakthrough in that I do not seem to care anything about the 2023 Grammys. I did not watch the awards show. For the most part, I do not know who won. I seem not to know most of the songs, albums, even artists who were nominated for awards. I do not care that Beyounce did not win record of the year or whatever folks are complaining about online. I have no opinion on Harry Styles. (I do sense that I each of these performers better in Destinys Child and One Direction, respectively.) I do notice that Mr. Styles, as far as I can tell, did not make the Rolling Stone list of 200 greatest singers. Beyounce was number 8 and the second highest living person on that RS list.

I should have reached this place when long ago Jethro Tull, one of my favorite bands of all time, won the Grammy for best Heavy Metal.

I suppose I am fooling myself to some extent. It would have been nice to see Molly Tuttle as best new artist and it would have been nice to see Bad Bunny break out with a win in a non-purely Latin category.

I don't follow artists/award shows since the dawn of the single release songs.

I always tell myself I am anachronistic when it comes to music, I was born in 1989 and I love pretty much everything before that year, very select exceptions from the 90’s, but anything past 2000 I don’t listen/care for.

I find hard to believe winners sell record number of copies (downloads) because they are actually good artists/singers. So much goes into publicity stunts and social media to market a certain artist or song.

Kids nowadays will listen to whatever makes them seem cool to everybody else, regardless if the music represents their values or way of thinking (if they have any😒).

Anyways, rant over…rock and roll is forever! 🤘

Yeah, I do not usually feel all that curmudeonly about the Grammys or about award music award shows in general, and I kind of like looking at the nonsense Rolling Stone puts out, and I generally think popular music is for the young, and I do not have much right to comment. Not sure why I am feeling more reactive this time around. I guess a lot of the acts seem like novelty acts!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm an old curmudgeon... I know it... I do like some "modern" groups.. but they play the music I enjoy from an earlier time. One such example: The Trucks/Tedeschi Band.. Derek Trucks reminds me of Duane Allman... but no one can replace him. I enjoy listening to complete albums...but I am thoroughly enjoying Dylan's newest release: Fragments... remastered, re-produced cuts from Time Out of Mind.. that did win some Grammys by the way. <eg> evil grin :devil:

Dylan's newest release: Fragments... remastered, re-produced cuts from Time Out of Mind.. that did win some Grammys by the way.
Time Out of Mind did win three Grammys, including album of the year--so I guess BD has Beyonce beat there!--best contemporary folk album, and best male rock vocalist performance. Interesting. Things ain't now like they used to be.

I'm also finding it increasingly difficult to care about the Oscars.
I suppose I am, too. But think part of it is there is more that there is so much good stuff out there in longer form TV series. I guess the 2022 Oscar nominees did seem a little weak over all. Maybe movies are not attracting the director talent that movies once did.

Legion

Staff member
When it comes to the Grammys, I agree with Ben Affleck.

Jennifer-Lopez-Ben-Affleck-Grammys-2023-Danving.gif

I do like some "modern" groups.. but they play the music I enjoy from an earlier time. One such example: The Trucks/Tedeschi Band.. Derek Trucks reminds me of Duane Allman... but no one can replace him.
Haven't watched any award shows for years. Deviance is more prevalent and I have other stuff to do (yawn), like Tiddlywinks.

So let me turn this to some folks that actually do have talent, TTB:

We saw them in Chicago right before COVID hit and they were terrific. I loved the ties to The Allman Brothers Band. Derek is the nephew of Butch Trucks who was one of the AB drummers. They did a perfect rendition of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. They also have two drummers like AB did. Great stuff.

Here is a pic that echos the one below, don't-cha think?

tedeschi-trucks-band-photo-mark-seliger.jpg

The-Allman-Brothers-Band-Live-At-Fillmore-East-1000x600.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I stopped watching music award shows about a decade ago. Mainly because I think 90% of the music put out in the last 20 years is simply crap. Mainstream record companies marketing the most beautiful people in the world and giving them auto tune and a few dance moves to sell records. I looked at the list of winners though and I recognized maybe half of them. I’m way out of touch with current music and I’m OK with that.

What really turned me off of current music was way back when rappers, rock, and pop started crossing over to Country. Kid Rock, Nelly, Darius Rucker, etc. ”hey, Country music is super popular right now. Ya’ll wanna be Country singers and ruin the genre even more??” That’s when I checked out. Moved to podcasts.

Needless to say…. Grammys…meh.

The last awards show I watched was the R&R Hall of Fame induction for Rush. Dave Grohl and the late Taylor Hawkins were so excited I expected them to have accident!

Now we catch the clips of whatever performance or movie interests us, but mostly just pass.

Same with most Christmas variety shows. We joke about being too old and out of touch! This year we watched some old Bing and Frank specials and enjoyed them immensely. Andy Williams has some great ones, too.

Non-binary person dances with a trans-woman in a satanic ritual performance called ‘unholy’ and they expect I’ll be watching? No thanks.
Oh my, this sounds even better than trying to play my Judas Priest records backwards when I was in high school! There had better be clips of this on YouTube!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hmh, never watched Grammy's or Oscar's. Personally, and this is maybe because I am an old fart, i do not care for most of the modern pop music...and in case I would hear some on the radio, I would not know who performs.
Still think that the music of my youth is the best....Pink Floyd, Allman Bros, Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc....looks I am getting old.

For me losing interest in the Oscars is more like being too old to have sex. I have been an ardent fan and watcher since the very early 1970's. I saw Isaac Hayes perform Shaft live (incredible) and the streaker with David Niven, and Paddy Chayefsky shut down politics at the podium. But I think Ricky Gervais hit the nail on the head during his last stint at the Globes, "You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world." And most modern films reflect that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A while back, we cut the cable access to live TV. Since then, instead of watching cable news or sports programs, I've been listening to music while I'm on B&B or typing in a chat room on WireClub. It's enriched my life more than I can possibly express.

I've learned more about Bob Dylan than I thought possible due to Eric / @Arbor Man 's thread. I'm listening to Springtime in NY right now. ;)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony crowd are just different groups all completely out of touch with real life who put on a show that (by evidence of ratings) no one cares about and no one wants to watch, and which consists entirely of industry insiders patting each other on the back and congratulating each other as if people actually did want to watch.
The Red Carpet should be a reminder of the embarrassment these people ought to feel, but don't in any way, shape or form.

Top Bottom