What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

a nice, back home shave this morning. be seeing you.

P1030297.JPG

This has already played out, so I ask this for the sake of others in the future: isn’t asking for a shaving gift a violation of restraint? I know it is in the monthly GRUME, even hinting to family what you want for your birthday.
Yes, it qualifies for a disqualification.

But, if someone were to give away stuff as a loaner, exchange or gift (like samples of soaps, razors, brushes) with no expectations of money or anything else in return, then both persons should be safe.

If the aim is to share the good stuff amongst each other or even one way, then it shouldn't disqualify anyone.

"Asking or hinting" for a gift can disqualify, but if someone is willing to give something on his own accord, then it shouldn't disqualify anyone.

Purchase, entering PIF and hinting something to be given as gift beats the purpose of restraint, but sharing and giving as PIF would be ok, I think.

Hi,

The key here is the spending of money. Even for shipping. That's where the PIF Problem comes in. And, shipping costs money. It isn't fair for the PIFfer to Pay that as well as give away an item. However, if the PIFfer does wish to pay the shipping, then I say that's OK.

And, chatting about wants and needs is OK within our Village here.

Trading needs to occur over on the BST. but pointers to a WTT thread in the BST posted here is just fine.

Stan

Last edited:
Hi,

Updated List

1. The Supervisor
2. KQY61 - No Exception
3. sjblon - No Exception
4. Tillerman - No Exception
5. Noodles - A/S
6. Patrick McGoohan - Always Exceptional
7. VerbaVolant - No Exception
8. bjm - Exception: razor handle
9. elmo_koffman - exception: blades
10. Jim99 - Exception: Italia soap
11. Pepin - exception vintage razor
12. gdawg55 - Athena Razor
13. La Malice - Shaving bowl
14. 02FLHTCI- No Exception
15. DEaficianado - razor handle
16. DougK - no exception
17. wmadoty - No Exception
18. Sandorfi - Exception Vintage Gillette new
19. ewk - NO EXCEPTION
20. Crisp Rat - no exception
21. Esetter - no exception
22. Chef455 - Exception Lucky Tiger if Supply Runs Out
23. JeffJ - No Exception
24. EB Newfarm No Exception
25. JWCowboy No Exception
26. Trollky - tube of Proraso cream
27. MaineYooper - vintage razor
28. (Porkins). CzechCzar - exception TBD

30. Balin - "The Duke" Exception - Shaving brush
31. JAHE - Exception - modern razor
32. Sotiris_A - No exception
33. Tjsgarden-Exception- razor
34. Contact_vs_Feedback - Vintage razor
35. KW Driver - Exception - Linseed oil/sealers for brush repairs.
36. Cantujm -Exception- Wolfman Razor
37. Bobbyb - No Exception
38. ByDoms - No exception
39. Ruva - razor
40. Jamesearthdrum - Geo Trumper Coral Skin Tonic
41. cryhavoc - shaving brush
42. T.Orso - witch hazel
43. Heron - shave soap
44. Guido75 - balm
45. Whisky - No Exception
46. Doc4 ... exceptions are for wimps
47. linty1 - no exceptions
48. Alum Ladd - Nivea post shave balm
49. JKaboom - LEA 3in1
50. Berwick12 - No Exception
51. Chandu - No Exception
52. kjbarth - no exception

54. Fred D - No exception
55. bartje-p - Blackbird (regular) SS plate and balm if it runs out (have 2 spares)
56. LJBraaten - Vintage Razor
57. sirplatypus - blades

Out(ed) as Warders

29. awk_m4 - No Exception - Bought stuff for sons and dipped in
53. Markdad2 - No exception - Muhle Rocca Stainless

Note that #1 is now The Supervisor. Every time I update the list, I'll put another character from the show in the #1 spot.

Be Seeing You!

Stan

Stan @KQY61, would an unsolicited PIF put me out if I offered to pay for shipping? A fellow brother approached me this morning and very kindly offered to send an artisan soap sample (not final yet) and wanted to take care of the whole transaction, but my take was if you take care of the soap let me at least cover your shipping expenses.

Given the unsolicited nature I think I am safe. I was the recipient of an extraordinarily generous gift last year during GRUME November and I covered customs and taxes and still was in - hence my chain of thought.

Thanks,

Guido
Hi,

As I mentioned a bit earlier, it's the spending of money. Including gift cards. It's always been such on the year-long to keep it easy to figure out.

There's also the other rule: If You Have To Ask.... ;)

The idea here is to simply use what you have for the duration. The only real issue then is if you have one of something and it fails, then you have to do something about that. And, trading is always good, of course. Ihave found that selling is also a good idea. Oftentimes we have too many/much of something.

Stan

Hi,

As I mentioned a bit earlier, it's the spending of money. Including gift cards. It's always been such on the year-long to keep it easy to figure out.

There's also the other rule: If You Have To Ask.... ;)

The idea here is to simply use what you have for the duration. The only real issue then is if you have one of something and it fails, then you have to do something about that. And, trading is always good, of course. Ihave found that selling is also a good idea. Oftentimes we have too many/much of something.

Stan
Thanks Stan. I’m cool with that. I just didn’t want to put too much burden on the gifter in terms of shipping - that’s all.

Guido

So I finished The Prisoner series. Very good, very silly, very scary...

Overall it was fun though
My wife, who overhears the TV while I’m watching, said, “It’s the same thing, over and over. Why do you keep watching it?” My response, “ It’s a commentary on our culture, and the preoccupation of individualism versus herd mentality or conformity. Yes, it is a bit overdone at times, but that’s a reflection of the 60s rebellion against authority. I watch it to see how much our western culture and myself have change or stayed the same.” And of course, you all are watching it.

Be seeing you!

@cryhavoc How many shaves do you get out of your injector blade? I think I'm doing something wrong I'm going to try to use an injector blade tonight but I have yet to get a good shave from injector blades
On average I get about 15 give or take but sometimes the blades keep going. As long as they stay sharp and don't tug I keep using them. Make sure you use the correct angle with an Injector, keep it flush to the face and it should give a good shave.

Top Bottom