What's new

Revisiting a Duke 3 in Best

So I dug out my old Duke 3 in Best that's been sitting unused for what seems like the better part 5-6 years, maybe more, can't remember the last time I used it. I remember trying to gel with it but it just seemed a bit scritchy/scratchy compared to the other brushes I routinely reached for (Thater (can't remember the model #) and my trusty old Saville Row 3824).

I think I'm going to give it another go though, as I feel like I didn't give it a chance. I face lather and I guess I'm used to soft brushes; my Thater and Savile Row are both really soft, like rubbing a marshmallow on your face. The Duke, while really densely packed, was just a bit more scratchy on my face and I remember it putting me off as I guess I'm used to soft. Anyway, it's a beautifully made brush and I certainly see why they are so popular. Thinking the Duke in Silvertip would be more to my liking. My Thater is on the left:
ThaterDuke.JPGThater Left Duke Right.jpeg

Last edited:
My Commodore X2 Best is perfect for me.
I wouldn't say it's scritchy, but it does have some scrub and face feel.
I love it due to this.
Badger brushes that feel like a cotton ball are not to my liking. And slimy gel tips are even worse...gross!

If you prefer the softer feel, the super or silvertip should suit you better.

I experienced something similar with my Chubby 1 in Super. I was expecting zero scratchyness so was a little disappointed when I first used it. It was superb in all other respects though and after a few shaves that scratchyness all but disappeared.

This leads me to believe there is definitely a break in period with ultra dense knots but that is a small price to pay for all the billowing goodness :)

It's got some use on it, I would use it in a rotation with the Savile Row and the Thater, but just found myself preferring the softer feel of the other two. I'm going to start using it again, though, and maybe; 1. I'll get used to it. or; 2. It will soften up with use. It is a nice brush, otherwise.

I have a Duke 3 Best and Chubby 2 Best. Both were scratchy when I first got then, but they get better with use. I don't mind a little scritch. Also like the Shavemac D01 3-Band.

Simpsons best has never disappointed me, but everyone has their preference. Brushes can be too soft, I I really like the Persian Jar 2 in 3-band super. Love the handle most of all 😊
I’ve heard that some people were having issues (excessive shedding and/or uncomfortable feeling) with Simpson brushes in best a few years ago but like you I have never been disappointed with them. I have both a Duke 3 and Chubby CH1 in best and both are great. And between the two of them I think I’ve had one hair shed

Ok, just finished up a shave with the Duke, and it was uneventful (I mean that in a good way). This thing is really dense, which I mean as a compliment to the brush. It is more scratchy than my Thater and my Savile Row's but it's not bad. I'm going to use it exclusively for a bit and see how it goes. I was going to use either Tabac or MWF, but I'm trying to conserve the Tabac as I love it and they changed the formula :sad:; MWF is ok, but I do prefer Tabac.

So, I went with a cream that I was recently introduced to by @Steve56 (thanks again, this stuff is awesome). But I can see why the Duke is so lauded for it's performance with hard soaps.

Anyway, just wanted to post an update and thank everyone for the excellent advice.

Duke SMN.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom