What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
(P)lace the blade on /over the pins then push down between the pins. the blade drops, then grab the head/blade at the ends and drop the plate on and tighten. No worries on the blade breaking.

Yup, pretty much what I do. Pretty much what I do with any razor, come to think of it.

I remember the old PAA Alpha Ecliptic Oxblood Bakelite tilted slant had tight pins, too. Since it was bakelite the pins eventually got shaved down a little. That's not happening with the Superslant. Before I hit on a technique for loading, though, I did bend the inner tabs on a blade, but it didn't affect either the blade integrity or the shave.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yup, pretty much what I do. Pretty much what I do with any razor, come to think of it.

I remember the old PAA Alpha Ecliptic Oxblood Bakelite tilted slant had tight pins, too. Since it was bakelite the pins eventually got shaved down a little. That's not happening with the Superslant. Before I hit on a technique for loading, though, I did bend the inner tabs on a blade, but it didn't affect either the blade integrity or the shave.

O.H.
I'm heading off now to reread the thread with the loading and unloading suggestions posted earlier.

@Phoenixkh I do pretty much the same thing as other guys.
Kind of push the blade down between the pins then go to the edge and try to hold each side in a pinch with my thumb and index finger.
Sometimes it feels a little tricky getting it back off with wet hands. I lay the cap on something soft and try to to hold the blade a little bit on the ends while pushing down on the center pin, or such.
I've really been getting good shaves with the L3.
I'm really not so sure I totally like the shaving with a slant as much as a regular razor but can't deny the results. Very close shaves

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had zero problems loading the blade. I haven't taken it apart yet to see how or if the blade disengages by itself or if it needs some assistance. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I am itching to use the SuperSlant. My plan, if I can hold out, is to wait until the L2++ base plate arrives this coming Wednesday and use that base plate first. I did finish reading the entire thread and the L3 doesn't appear to be too daunting but I am a bit cautious. I suspect I'll get along with either and end up with a preference for one over the other.

I just received the used SuperSlant L3 the other day. I have the L2++ base plate on the way. I do have a question. I loaded a Wizamet in it and noticed, like @Filudo ,the blade gets sort of smashed into place. That is probably a poor choice of words, but it is a slant, after all, and the blade has to conform to the top cap and the base plate.

My question: I usually disassemble my razors, clean and dry them and finally reassemble them with the same blade, flipped, or change to a new blade after every shave. With the blade having that much pressure applied, as you disassemble it, how do you get the blade out or is that easier than I'm imagining? Secondly, is the blade weakened to such an extent they will snap in half or be misshapen if I follow my normal routine, taking the razor apart for cleaning, etc. after every shave.

I'm sure I will figure this out as I use the razor but I'd appreciate the group's collective knowledge. Any advice would be welcome.
I did not take the blade out as usual, rinsed in hot water then dipped into alcohol.... and air dried..... Feels strange , but I don't want to play putting the blade in every time (for now).....

After writing off slants after parting with my Wunderbar some time back which I only got on well with half the time, I decided to pull the trigger on purchasing the L2++ they have up on Italian Barber...figure some variety to my gear is never a bad thing

Old Hippie

After writing off slants after parting with my Wunderbar some time back which I only got on well with half the time(...)

For sure they're different razors! I've got the Wunderbar up for next week, after several weeks with the L3SB. I hear that "half the time" thing; I will be able to get through three shaves easily with the WB, but after that it'll be time to return to the Superslant or the Konsul for a while.

I have been thinking of the L3SB as "Dr. Superslant" because it's so little prone to nicking that I use it to heal up after using some other razors.

O.H.

This thread popped up just as I was about to shave and reminded me that I have a Superslant L3 that I haven’t used yet. So I did this time. I’ve never used a slant before except the ATT X1, which isn’t at all this sort of slant.

It’s interesting. Nobody died. It feels very, very smooth and it’s crazy efficient. Quite remarkable. There’s a kind of feeling that it’s so efficient you sense you might irritate your skin if you make extra strokes on an area, but actually you don’t need to and I think you have to adjust your mindset that it’s not going to be necessary when it is with other razors. Also I wouldn’t describe that as blade feel or irritation - it was very gentle and there was little blade feel. It was just a kind of awareness that you shouldn’t overshave with it - hard to say exactly what made me sense that.

I only needed two passes, which I never do even with my Wolfman WR2 1.55. Super-close shave, very calm skin and no sting at all from aftershave. Except…it bit me a couple of times, without warning, going across the grain on my neck. I will live; please don’t worry.

I’m so impressed by the results with this razor that I am itching to grow the hair back and have another go. Maybe there really is something to this wonky razor fad. The head also has a lot of mass and that should aid efficiency too. I want to see what was wrong with my technique that caused the bites (looked like bad nicks but actually cleared up with a couple of splashes of water). My impression is that you need to keep the skin surface flat, or at least not concave, as it felt like maybe the corners of the blade were what bit me. And I think you have to use it steep, which I normally do but I’ve been using neutral angle razors a lot lately and I might have lapsed. Anyway I need to adjust something in how I shaved that area with this razor but the overall results were so good that I know it’s well worth figuring out and even worth it if I have to shave in a slightly different manner with this razor than with others. I did complete the shave to a perfect smoothness in about half the time I normally spend - that alone has to be worth it.

Apart from the shave, the razor was extremely easy to load, didn’t feel unbalanced despite the heavy head, good grip from the handle. I used a fresh Feather blade, by the way.

So, anyway, that’s the first shave report from a completely inexperienced slant user tackling this rather sinister device. Tips and advice welcome, although I’m very sure I will get along delightfully with this thing.

View attachment 1597979
Great review. Thanks for well told slant innocent perspective.

My SuperSlant L2++ arrived today! I already had an L3 base plate from my misadventures with Gifts & Care. To be fair to them, they owned up to their error, and I have nothing bad to say about their customer service. Or - almost nothing. When I emailed them to verify that the advertised "SuperSlant Head" was in fact the entire head, they assured me that they would be shipping me two pieces. As it turned out, I received only the base plate. Anyway, as I said, they rectified their error and corrected the listings on their website.

So now to my new SuperSlant. I'm going to try the L2++ for tomorrow's shave. Following advice in the posts above I loaded a new Israeli Personna Red blade without any issue. It did make a rather satisfying crunch as I tightened up the handle. It arrived with a RazoRock HD handle, but I find that one a bit too short. I have several other handles and will start with the RazoRock Bulldog, which at 90 mm is pretty much the perfect length for me, but it is fairly heavy at 2.8 oz. My question for those of you shaving with the SuperSlant is - do you find it works better with a heavy handle or with lighter one?

For the handle, when I received my WB 2 yrs ago{?}, it came with a stainless handle. Used it a few times then switched to the RR Ti Halo handle. The length didn't work for me, I ended up with a timeless crown ti handle. When the L2++ arrived, the timeless handle was used from day one following the WB experience. I did try the Ti Halo on the L2++, after a few strokes, the crown went back on. It's all personal choice, I find the lighter,shorter handle works best for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The used SuperSlant L3 I purchased on BST came with the stock UFO SS handle. I immediately switch it out to the Timeless Ti Crown handle w/base in polish finish I had sitting around for its arrival. I did order a L2++ base plate only from The Italian Barber because I'm still not quite sure if the one from Gifts and Care will show up. I worked out the cost details with them too... I will order from Gifts and Care again.. They are a great source for people in the States. Yes, you have to wait for the shipping, but their prices are excellent.

I did go ahead and use the L3 for yesterday's shave. It's now almost 3:30PM here and I shave yesterday around 4:30, so 23 hours ago. Can I feel the whiskers on my face? Of course.... but I know, based on feel... this shave would have lasted 12 hours, give or take.

The shave itself was very nice. I can't say "wonderful" yet because it's still new to me. As I've mentioned in my journal, the only thing I have to determine is the stroke angle on my upper lip and chin. The slanted blade attacks those areas a bit differently than any of my other razors. This isn't a bad thing to me, just something I'll figure out, probably next shave as I experimented as I went along.

I don't have the experience many of you do with DE slants. I do have the very fine ATT X1 AC slant and I can say, it's wonderful. I believe the SuperSlant is one or two shaves away from being Wonderful as I work on my technique.

Old Hippie

My question for those of you shaving with the SuperSlant is - do you find it works better with a heavy handle or with lighter one?

The final point that made me push the button for the L3 was that it came with the UFO handle. I like that handle a lot. I like the way I can get a grip with my pinkies on the end of the handle, I like the deep diamond knurls, I like the length and I like the way the mass is not all the way at the bottom of the handle. I have RR's homage to the Thin Bar, but for me too short. Keeping it as a travel handle, though.

I've struggled with the HD handle; too short and too heavy. I've also struggled with the Bulldog; just a bit too long. But on the other hand I like the Radio Knob handle that lives on my Wunderbar, and I also like West Coast's 84S handle which really has a chunk of steel on the end.

Consistency? What is this word you use? :)

O.H.

For the handle, when I received my WB 2 yrs ago{?}, it came with a stainless handle. Used it a few times then switched to the RR Ti Halo handle. The length didn't work for me, I ended up with a timeless crown ti handle. When the L2++ arrived, the timeless handle was used from day one following the WB experience. I did try the Ti Halo on the L2++, after a few strokes, the crown went back on. It's all personal choice, I find the lighter,shorter handle works best for me.

Lighter, shorter, Ti... I'm with jcmGT all the way.

My Superslant L1++ arrived today. No trouble loading a blade and it was quiet tightening it up. I used an Astra SP with one use on it. The gap looked big, but there was almost no blade feel and it shaved extremely smoothly. I used it with the super knurl handle it came with this time. I'll try the ti Halo and wind up with the Timeless crown handle anyway haha. A 2 pass shave would've been plenty but I did 3 anyway. Super shave, no irritation, very mild feeling razor. I think it would take a lot of effort to cut yourself at all. Even ATG sideways on neck it plowed through smoothly. I wouldn't be afraid of trying an L2 or even L3 now but I'm not sure I need to. I removed the blade and dried it all out, and the second time I put the blade in and tightened it up it was really creaking and crunching. First time I ever tried a slant and very happy with it. It looks intimidating but it's mighty smooth!

First shave is in the books with my L2++. I had already loaded a new Israeli Personna Red blade yesterday when it arrived, so I was all set to go after my shower this morning. I lathered up with my Yaqi Moka 2 band badger brush and some RazoRock Son of Zeus soap. Despite being an inexpensive brush and soap combination, it is an extremely pleasurable way to start a shave. Starting at my sideburns was a bit challenging, since with the SuperSlant (as with all slants) I find it tough to tell when I have the blade running straight across rather than at an angle. Also, the razor does look quite daunting. Nevertheless it proved to be extremely tame. I had less trouble maneuvering it on my upper lip under my nose than I expected, despite the larger than usual mass of both razor and nose. My usual two pass shave plus touch-ups was extremely smooth and comfortable. As I sit here a couple of hours later, I would say that it was a very efficient shave, but not a perfect BBS result. Yesterday's shave with my Karve Christopher Bradley G Plate and a Feather was ever so slightly closer. That said, this is only my first shave with the SuperSlant, I used a different blade, and some days I just manage to shave closer than others for no apparent reason.

I plan to continue with the L2++ and the Personna for the next few shaves to see how it goes. At some point I will switch to the L3, and I also may try different blades. Oh, and I also forgot to comment on the handle. Today I used a RazoRock Bulldog instead of the HD handle that came with the razor. It seemed to be a good pairing and I think I'll stick with it for a while. At some point once I have a better feel for the SuperSlant I will try some other handles; I'm particularly interested to see how it pairs with a lighter handle like the Titanium Halo. Currently I have that handle on my Lupo .95 OC and really like that combination.

After trying the Superslant and the intimidation from it is now gone I think I'm going to order an L3 base plate when back in stock. The L1++ is so smooth and from what most of you have said of the L3 I think it would be worth a shot. I emailed IB and Michael says 5 to 6 weeks from now L3 plates back in stock. The L2++ is still in stock but I may as well wait on the L3. Also waffled back to the 1.05 on the WR2 instead of .95 when my time comes soon. I guess the slant has made me braver haha.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
After trying the Superslant and the intimidation from it is now gone I think I'm going to order an L3 base plate when back in stock. The L1++ is so smooth and from what most of you have said of the L3 I think it would be worth a shot. I emailed IB and Michael says 5 to 6 weeks from now L3 plates back in stock. The L2++ is still in stock but I may as well wait on the L3. Also waffled back to the 1.05 on the WR2 instead of .95 when my time comes soon. I guess the slant has made me braver haha.
My L2++ base plate will be here Thursday, It will be interesting to note the difference in the face feel between it and the L3.

On another matter: I have decided to stick with the Wolfman WR2 .95. I think it will be sufficient for my face. I check my email every day to see if Tara has contacted me. ;)

My L2++ base plate will be here Thursday, It will be interesting to note the difference in the face feel between it and the L3.

On another matter: I have decided to stick with the Wolfman WR2 .95. I think it will be sufficient for my face. I check my email every day to see if Tara has contacted me. ;)
I will be very interested to hear your take on the L2++ vs the L3 Superslant! Who knows, I'll probably change my mind again before the WR2 order. I've been going back and forth between 1.15, 1.05, and .95 for weeks. I keep checking also, should be soon. :)

Just got mine. Loading wasn't a problem. Just sorta did it upside down. Definitely feels odd to tighten, as you're sorta worried you're going too far. But, I have what may seem like an odd and silly question... it's a DE razor but does the side you choose matter since it's slanted?

Top Bottom