What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2023

My lack of posts in this thread is the direct result of an ongoing "mini-plague" at the Black Adder household. Just haven't found beer or food very appealing the last few weeks. Anyway...
20230205_225741.jpg

20230205_225707.jpg

George Hunter Dark Chocolate Stout from Castle Danger. 8%. Dark chocolate and coffee with an underlying lactose sweetness. Nothing to really set it apart from other milk stouts. I tried, but I really couldn't get a good can label photo.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My lack of posts in this thread is the direct result of an ongoing "mini-plague" at the Black Adder household. Just haven't found beer or food very appealing the last few weeks. Anyway...
View attachment 1601423

View attachment 1601424

George Hunter Dark Chocolate Stout from Castle Danger. 8%. Dark chocolate and coffee with an underlying lactose sweetness. Nothing to really set it apart from other milk stouts. I tried, but I really couldn't get a good can label photo.
Hope you feel better soon, Don. 🍻

20230207_121443.jpg

I think this is how I'll be buying beer from now on. Singles, to try when I want. I can't get my brother-in-laws into craft beers, and I catch flak for having too much stored up...

20230207_173232.jpg

From Ommegang. Interesting and different, standing out a little from your typical imperial stout. Good on the nose, chocolate, vanilla, and cranberry, with underlying coffee. Slight boozy burn on the finish.

Hope you’re feeling better. I’m so far behind, I’ll never be approved for the 2024. I think I’ve had 8 beers all year so far.

Well, you're a few beers ahead of me! I don't know what it is, just a general "yuck" feeling that won't go away; tests show me Covid negative....

What did you think of French Toast Bastard?

20230211_181902.jpg

From Brewery Fortuna out of Poland. At least it's a Baltic porter FROM the Baltic region. 9%, with a raisin/plum sweetness, molasses, and a hint of anise. Slight chocolate note. Full, rich mouthfeel. Pretty good bargain... a solid pint and change for less than $5. No way I'd have gotten an American craft brew for less than $6.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What did you think of French Toast Bastard?
It’s not bad. Sweet but not cloying so. The Vanilla really comes through. That’s the only beer I had before going to bed. Haven’t been feeling 100% myself. I’m starting off today with this, Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout. First impressions are ok. It’s kind of one dimensional, I get the stout but not the barrel aging in the taste. Interesting that the van says aged for 6mo and the box says aged for 3mo. I’d drink it again, but wouldn’t go out of my way to find it.
ED80F372-4D09-4870-AC11-DDD095DE4FF0.jpeg

Last edited:
With the coming of St. Patrick's Day, Irish ales are showing up on the shelves. I enjoy the style and what it offers:

20230213_235136.jpg

This was tasty, inviting on the nose, deep copper color. Sweet (not over the top), with a cracker-like flavor leaning heavily toward cereal grains. Dry finish that tempers the initial sweetness. I'll have to get a six 👍.

Top Bottom