What's new

How Do You Pronounce That?

This thread reminded me when I was trying to find the correct pronunciation of Xiaomi. In my country we pronounce it ''Kseeaomi'', I guessed English native speakers would call it ''Zeeaomi''. Apparently the correct Chinese pronunciation is ''Seeaomi''. So in order to find the correct pronunciation of Yaqi you will need to find out how Chinese pronounce Qi which is ''kee'' if I am not wrong.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I pronounce it Ray So Rock. But more emphasis on sounding like a Z in So. RayZoRock. No idea what is correct. I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone say it out loud before.

The other one I say Yak (like the animal) E. YakE. Yaqi. I‘ve never heard anyone say that out loud either. Come to think of it I’ve never said ether one out loud myself.

images.jpeg

I confidently use whatever pronunciation makes sense inside my little brain. I am likely wrong quite often.

Fragrances are much worse. Some that I own, I don’t even try. Here is the proper spelling of a cologne I call “Herman by ELdO”… Hermann A Mes Cotes Me Paraissait Une Ombre Etat Libre d'Orange. Quite a mouthful!

In the islands was used to tourists never pronouncing anything correct :)
And then when the pidgin gets flowing nobody can understand you correcting them either :)

always with a smile though

What about Yaqi? I’ve been saying it as if it rhymes with hockey. But I know that Qi is pronounced like chee in English, so I wondered if it’s really pronounced yah-chee.

You're right. One of the Chinese members on B&B mentioned that it's pronounced yah-chee.

I looked it up in a Mandarin/English dictionary and it translates as "Elegance".

Top Bottom