What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

We'll be gone for 7 weeks in total, including our week trip to Slovenia to see our oldest son and his wife... 6 weeks in Bali. I don't know what I'll bring with me this time around. I sold my two Mistura brushes I took last time. I've added some very nice DE razors since that time... and one AC, the ATT X1. I will take the ESC Claymore Evo for around my nose. It would be the path of least resistance to take that one along with the X1.

As of this moment, I'll probably do that and take my two synth ESC Ultimate G4 brushes, Canada Shaving Soap, Timeless blue bowl and an assortment of AC blades. Those are all easily replaceable. I'd love to take my Athena but those are harder to come by. I still have two months to decide.
Since mine is a permanent move I’m in two minds whether it’s more risk to take a valued razor in checked luggage or have it moved together with our furniture, etc. Leaving at home isn’t an option when you are between homes.

Can you really live for 7 weeks with only two razors and two brushes?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since mine is a permanent move I’m in two minds whether it’s more risk to take a valued razor in checked luggage or have it moved together with our furniture, etc. Leaving at home isn’t an option when you are between homes.

Can you really live for 7 weeks with only two razors and two brushes?
I did 4 weeks last time with just my Claymore Evo... and those two SOC Misturas.... I went back to my SV 2.0 brushes immediately upon our return.... I felt at home again. I know I'd miss my other razors, that's for sure. I wouldn't want to take anything with me that couldn't be easily replaced... Being in between houses when moving would make choosing more difficult for the reason you stated. Airlines don't lose luggage all that often these days, but there is always that risk... movers? They seldom steal things, at least the few times we've used them.

Add to that, what you mentioned is also a concern.. How many months before you find another house? Not easy choices.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Have you tried your Superslant yet, Kim? I’m planning to use my L3 again tonight. It was quite remarkable on my first shave - insanely efficient but it doesn’t feel like it. You could probably cut off an ear and not feel a thing. It’s not a razor anyone should be scared of, though.
My current plan is to wait until the L2++ base plate gets here and start with that... I'm sure I can wait until Thursday. I've been debating this afternoon's shave... go ahead and use the L3.. or get in another nice shave with my ATT X1. It's so nice to have so many options, knowing all of them will be excellent.

The L3 is loaded up and ready to go... hence the temptation. Is resistance truly futile? Stay tuned. <eg>

My current plan is to wait until the L2++ base plate gets here and start with that... I'm sure I can wait until Thursday. I've been debating this afternoon's shave... go ahead and use the L3.. or get in another nice shave with my ATT X1. It's so nice to have so many options, knowing all of them will be excellent.

The L3 is loaded up and ready to go... hence the temptation. Is resistance truly futile? Stay tuned. <eg>
Do the L3. It’s really smooth and you barely feel any blade at all. It’s a steep shaver, I suggest. Just be aware that it’s much more efficient than you think and you won’t need nearly as many strokes as you normally use. Even my most difficult areas shaved completely clean with no effort.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Do the L3. It’s really smooth and you barely feel any blade at all. It’s a steep shaver, I suggest. Just be aware that it’s much more efficient than you think and you won’t need nearly as many strokes as you normally use. Even my most difficult areas shaved completely clean with no effort.
I've been leaning in that direction since I got up this morning. I don't think I'll be able to wait until Thursday. It's very likely I'll report back here later in the US, evening time, describing my first shave with the SuperSlant 3. ;)

Here’s a question: what is the correct protocol here if you just encouraged someone to shave with a particular razor and then you do it yourself and there’s a bit of blood? Do you keep quiet because you’re curious whether they will bleed too, or do you say something? Asking for a friend.

Here’s a question: what is the correct protocol here if you just encouraged someone to shave with a particular razor and then you do it yourself and there’s a bit of blood? Do you keep quiet because you’re curious whether they will bleed too, or do you say something? Asking for a friend.
I don't know about the correct protocol, but I am pretty sure posting about it on said person's journal thread is not the correct way to get them to proceed! :devil:

I don't know about the correct protocol, but I am pretty sure posting about it on said person's journal thread is not the correct way to get them to proceed! :devil:
Yes, I’m much too nice. Still, somebody should act responsibly around here. I just never imagined it would be me.

The Superslant L3 was a bit too much for my skin today. To be fair, my skin has been more sensitive than usual since the weather turned cold again recently, and even though I got several small weepers from the razor, I still had very little sting from the aftershave. It wasn’t a bad shave by any means, but I just know that Kim will be upset with me if he gets the same thing without me warning him.

It’s just such an efficient razor that I’m not sure my skin can take three passes on the softer parts of my neck comfortably without seeing some weepers. I was going super gently because I knew the razor was far more efficient than it feels, but I think at least while my skin is like this I should stick to two passes and a couple of extra strokes to clean up my jawline. That’s all I did on my first shave with the razor and it was an extremely close shave everywhere.

But I’m pretty sure Kim’s skin is like buffalo hide that’s been salt-cured for a decade, so I still think he’ll be fine. My skin is, quite seriously, like a newborn baby’s - it’s an eerily pale bluish-white colour and I’ve never been outdoors because of what exposure to sunlight would do to it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Aaron, I didn't find that intrusive at all. My journal is more a free-for-all thread. I like the ebb and flow, the exchange of ideas, suggestions, etc.. I'd be comfortable if you added your Blackland Ti Blackbird into the discussion.. or your Henson.

I am feeling a bit off today, for some reason. I'm on the negative side of marginal at present so I doubt I'll shave until tomorrow sometime. That will give me more time to ponder which razor I'll end up using.... but I am still leaning toward the SuperSlant 3. It will definitely be a slant razor... so the X1 or the SuperSlant3.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes, I’m much too nice. Still, somebody should act responsibly around here. I just never imagined it would be me.

The Superslant L3 was a bit too much for my skin today. To be fair, my skin has been more sensitive than usual since the weather turned cold again recently, and even though I got several small weepers from the razor, I still had very little sting from the aftershave. It wasn’t a bad shave by any means, but I just know that Kim will be upset with me if he gets the same thing without me warning him.

It’s just such an efficient razor that I’m not sure my skin can take three passes on the softer parts of my neck comfortably without seeing some weepers. I was going super gently because I knew the razor was far more efficient than it feels, but I think at least while my skin is like this I should stick to two passes and a couple of extra strokes to clean up my jawline. That’s all I did on my first shave with the razor and it was an extremely close shave everywhere.

But I’m pretty sure Kim’s skin is like buffalo hide that’s been salt-cured for a decade, so I still think he’ll be fine. My skin is, quite seriously, like a newborn baby’s - it’s an eerily pale bluish-white colour and I’ve never been outdoors because of what exposure to sunlight would do to it.
That has been my concern with the SuperSlant in general. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers likes the L2++ but didn't get along with the 3. That has been my reasoning all along... try out the 2++ for the maiden voyage and based on that, determine when to try the 3. It's just that patience isn't one of my strong suits. ;) The SuperSlant looks foreboding.... but from all I've read, from people with whom I have razors in common, they don't consider it to be so.

Aaron, I didn't find that intrusive at all. My journal is more a free-for-all thread. I like the ebb and flow, the exchange of ideas, suggestions, etc.. I'd be comfortable if you added your Blackland Ti Blackbird into the discussion.. or your Henson.
Hey Kim, thanks for being so welcoming with your journal. The devil emoji at the end of my post was intended to signal sarcasm. The joke being that if he wanted you to proceed he shouldn't tip you off, but he was conflicted. I guess Mr. Shavington felt guilty enough to post in your thread which was nice, but I rarely miss the chance to make a joke!

Hope you feel better tomorrow, don't want to let that beard get out of control again. :wink:

I am feeling a bit off today, for some reason. I'm on the negative side of marginal at present
Anything we can do to get it marginally better? Just let me know!

Those are the times a shave could really be the best thing the doctor prescribed. So my advice (not a MD, but hey there’s a D in PhD😏) would be to do the shave my friend.

Guido

Hey Kim, thanks for being so welcoming with your journal. The devil emoji at the end of my post was intended to signal sarcasm. The joke being that if he wanted you to proceed he shouldn't tip you off, but he was conflicted. I guess Mr. Shavington felt guilty enough to post in your thread which was nice, but I rarely miss the chance to make a joke!

Hope you feel better tomorrow, don't want to let that beard get out of control again. :wink:
Exacto!

That has been my concern with the SuperSlant in general. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers likes the L2++ but didn't get along with the 3. That has been my reasoning all along... try out the 2++ for the maiden voyage and based on that, determine when to try the 3. It's just that patience isn't one of my strong suits. ;) The SuperSlant looks foreboding.... but from all I've read, from people with whom I have razors in common, they don't consider it to be so.
I do like the L3 and it’s something you should experience even if you end up preferring the L2. I’ve never shaved with anything quite the same as this. There’s little sense of blade feel so it is very comfortable but it’s just so efficient that you can’t go over the same spot multiple times like you can with other razors. Well, I can’t. But it gives me such amazingly close shaves, doesn’t cause irritation, and it takes so little work to accomplish it. I just have to teach myself to shave differently with it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Kim, I have the L1++ and the L3.

1675552128290.png

I don't have the L2++: I hope I didn't make a mistake somewhere and post incorrect information to that effect.

1-16-23.SuperSlant.L1++.FlyingMangoSV.SV-11-28.640JPG.JPG

I like the L1++ a lot. It's very smooth on my skin and it cuts my whiskers efficiently enough.

12-1-22.Superslant.L3.CanadaSS.Malachite.640.JPG

The L3? It's certainly not a bad razor, not at all, but I much prefer the L1++.

For a little bit more on the L3 look here.

I have an average beard I think. My skin is a bit prone to dryness. My whiskers are all old man whiskers. Some are very tough, particularly those in my soul patch area and my upper lip.

My upper lip is very sensitive going ATG, S-N. Thus, I tend to evaluate razors rather harshly sometimes when I'm using them on my upper lip in that direction. The L1++ passes the test.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

I am feeling a bit off today, for some reason. I'm on the negative side of marginal at present so I doubt I'll shave until tomorrow sometime. That will give me more time to ponder which razor I'll end up using.... but I am still leaning toward the SuperSlant 3. It will definitely be a slant razor... so the X1 or the SuperSlant3.
Hope you feel better tomorrow, my friend.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, I have the L1++ and the L3.

View attachment 1600560

I don't have the L2++: I hope I didn't make a mistake somewhere and post incorrect information to that effect.

View attachment 1600559

I like the L1++ a lot. It's very smooth on my skin and it cuts my whiskers efficiently enough.

View attachment 1600558

The L3? It's certainly not a bad razor, not at all, but I much prefer the L1++.

For a little bit more on the L3 look here.

I have an average beard I think. My skin is a bit prone to dryness. My whiskers are all old man whiskers. Some are very tough, particularly those in my soul patch area and my upper lip.

My upper lip is very sensitive going ATG, S-N. Thus, I tend to evaluate razors rather harshly sometimes when I'm using them on my upper lip in that direction. The L1++ passes the test.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I misread your journal, obviously.. I thought you have the L2++... my bad. Thank you for correcting the misinformation.

Top Bottom