What's new

How close of a shave is too close?

I just finished probably my 5th shave with my Karve Christopher Bradley OC. Used the F plate, TOBS cream and a new Gillette Silver Blue blade
I have learned with this razor to use a shallow angle. I did my usual 2 passes with a touchup around the neck and jawline. A very smooth shave
but I have learned even though the shave is smooth with the F plate I have to be really careful. I believe I couldn't get a closer shave with any of
my other razors, equal maybe. I didn't notice any irritation until I rubbed the alum block on it, It had a pretty good sting all around but afterward
it felt fine. So does the sting mean the shave was too close or is that the normal?

I get sting every time from my alcohol-based aftershave. So that, for me, is normal (never used an alum block to compare).

What isn't normal is a burn that persists for hours after. That is a sign that I probably over-shaved while chasing the elusive BBS.

I've learned my limits, and have gotten pretty good at knowing when to call it off.

Too close is when your face looks like a raw block of tofu. Personally, I like getting a nice 5 o'clock shadow.
tofu.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just finished probably my 5th shave with my Karve Christopher Bradley OC. Used the F plate, TOBS cream and a new Gillette Silver Blue blade
I have learned with this razor to use a shallow angle. I did my usual 2 passes with a touchup around the neck and jawline. A very smooth shave
but I have learned even though the shave is smooth with the F plate I have to be really careful. I believe I couldn't get a closer shave with any of
my other razors, equal maybe. I didn't notice any irritation until I rubbed the alum block on it, It had a pretty good sting all around but afterward
it felt fine. So does the sting mean the shave was too close or is that the normal?
Enjoy the close shave, if your concerned just use a alum block and it will tell if it was to close. Rinse alum off 30-60 seconds later.
If you get to much tingling on the skin it will reference that for when applying the alum. Most shaves your will get the odd tingly sensation and that is more normal IMO.

With all due respect, your question is kind of meaningless. There's no 3rd part standards organization rating and ranking your shaves. A good shave leaves you feeling and looking good, nothing more, nothing less.

With all due respect, your question is kind of meaningless. There's no 3rd part standards organization rating and ranking your shaves. A good shave leaves you feeling and looking good, nothing more, nothing less.
So there is no BBS shave or DFS just a good looking shave? In that case one pass would be sufficient. The only way you could tell the difference between one pass and 3 is if you rub your hand against my face. I think that would be the case for most people

So there is no BBS shave or DFS just a good looking shave? In that case one pass would be sufficient. The only way you could tell the difference between one pass and 3 is if you rub your hand against my face. I think that would be the case for most people

Those are just words someone made up on the internet because they were bored and needed something to do around 2005 or so.
Just shave until you're happy with it, and then stop.

A closer shave lasts longer before you have a shadow. So, there is an advantage to shaving closely but if you get cuts, irritation, redness, etc. that is probably overdoing it. A good shave should be both close and comfortable, IMHO. After all, whiskers are going to keep growing, so it's just a matter of time how long it will be before shaving again.

Those are just words someone made up on the internet because they were bored and needed something to do around 2005 or so.
Only partially true. The terms are comparatively new, the concepts are not. The advent of the safety razor had barbers up in arms about being able to deliver closer (and more "luxurious", e.g., hot towles, creams, aftershaves, etc.,) shaves the the pedestrian, mass-produced, "safety razors".

Regarding being too close: effective shaving is two parts, hair removal, obviously, but also a certain level of exfoliation. A DFS results in healthier skin generally. BBS is a delicate balance between a higher level of exfoliation, just above irritation, and weepers. It is not necessary (unless required but your inspecting officer- edge of a credit card swiped along your cheek to see if it "rasps) but is something some of us chase simply for the gratification.

So I guess what your saying is that when I was learning to shave around 1970 or so, when my dad said to me my goal was to shave my face to what he said should be equivalent to a babies smooth bottom end without any irritation he was just blowin' smoke up my backside? :facep:

Not so much the sting, as there will be some with most alcohol based aftershaves.

A white towel might help though. :wink2:
If after three days I find a few minute red dots on the white towel that I use to dry my face after the shave then I know that I have dialled up the adjustable razor one notch too much.

Truth be told, it usually happens only when I go to the highest setting, which in terms of closeness does not yield a noticeable closer shave.

B.

So I guess what your saying is that when I was learning to shave around 1970 or so, when my dad said to me my goal was to shave my face to what he said should be equivalent to a babies smooth bottom end without any irritation he was just blowin' smoke up my backside? :facep:

Did he ask if you were happy with CCS and wanted to jump up to DFS? Or did he just say to shave yourself smooth?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
To know if you received a very nice BBS shave you could also use the cotton ball test and if any of the cotton sticks or snags to the face it would indicate some stubble (That only indicates if you have to know if you recieved a BBS shave).
DFS is a good target to reach with little or no irritation usually from my experiences.
Nothing wrong with a inexpensive alum block to tell the rest of the story if a person has to know, over time I can just finger touch and a do a face visual will tell a person what has happened also. (I always wash the alum off after 30-60 seconds) and then apply aftershaves and balm depending on what I want for the day.
Alum can also replace aftershaves if sensitive to fragrances also.

Last edited:
Time is one of the unaccounted for parameters.

24 hrs after I shave I am not clean shaven enough for close inspection-- that such inspection is never coming is a detail regarding personal nuttery, yes. Regardless, after somewhere between 18 and 24 hours, the yesterday's closest shave is still yesterday's thing. It's time to shave again if I want to pass that imaginary test, which I don't really need to do, because it is imaginary. Ok. Feeling a little judged.

But that's me. I'm concerned about irritation more notionally than practically.

If I were more concerned about irritation than maybe I would look to a shave that broke down after 12 hours.

Or, if my growth were slower or more isolated, I would be on a 48 to 72 hour schedule with intermediate touch ups.

So. I applaud the formal inquiry into things where there isn't a formal answer. But there isn't a formal answer. At some point, it's gotta be you shaving you.

Top Bottom