What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
Fatboy Friday!

Friday February 3, 2023
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Gillette 195 E3
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
IMG_2280.jpg

First time around I got some brush burn but now I know how to handle it. Is it still available in both grades? I thought it was superseded by the Berkeley 46 Pure?
I believe yes, they are out of production. The S1 Best can still be found in stock online.

I’ve learned about brush burn from my early experiences - LoL

Even though I predominately face lather, I tend to start all my new brushes via the bowl.

It pained me to start off my CH2 in this manner :love-struck:

Day 3, 10.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Continuing with SV70 (Beta 4.1 edition), had an autopilot shave plus tidy-ups, for a DFS.

Did our town day, won’t be doing that again soon. We had postponed MD appointments, otherwise we probably would have skipped it. Yesterday a usual hour’s trip took three hours because we had to go an alternate route due to the rock slide next to our house. Almost triple the distance, four traffic control stops and a mountain road even windier than our mountain road account for the long trip. We spent the night then this more drove on the mountain roads with snow and ice. Had to drive very slowly, pulled off the road four times because we were being tailgated by jerks who wanted to drive too fast (one was 10 ft behind us, no way he could stop if I did). The last time we got stuck, but that’s why I carry a shovel in the winter so we were on our way in less than 10 minutes. No significant construction delays, and it took us 3.5 hours. We’ve decided we aren’t driving down to the Valley again until they clear the slide and a direct route is available. Back home, 32 hours growth after yesterday’s early shave.

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Razor: Gillette early postwar Tech.
Blade: Feather, shave #204
Soap: Mike’s Natural Lime
Passes: Three and a half.
DFS+

Date04.02.2023
365 days of shaving35/365 (100%)
GRUYERE35/365 (100%)
GRUME February04/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashAreffa Phantom of Kyiv
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and zero urges, cravings, itches. Rotated back to my original setting for SWS with the Flatboy and a Tiger on its fourth shave. I paired the razor with the handle from my new Green Cult and I believe they work very nice together.

The star of this shave is without a doubt the first time use of this Areffa soap. This is an amazing soap
:001_wub:
. I have never felt anything softer and slicker on my skin. Almost like applying whipped cream. Super glide and cushioning.

More details on today’s shave are in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
Shave #4
- Still In -

• *MdC Fougère - SOTM
  • *T&H Rooney 3/2 - Silvertip
  • *Thiers Issard Sheffield- 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum (4)- OBIF
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • Pinaud’s Lime Sec with menthol
* SWS
F9863B22-2089-4D38-9529-8157D341E2D5.jpeg

Early morning shave today. Getting the house in order and doing minor car maintenance ahead of a weekend getaway for my daughter’s school function.

This kitting worked very well for me yesterday so why fix what isn’t broken :applause:

I believe yes, they are out of production. The S1 Best can still be found in stock online.
I have one of these sweet little brushes in Best Badger.
20230204_140928.jpg

Lovely tiny knot (mine is a 19/42), but the handle is great (for me) since I prefer longer handles (read: 45mm is the minumum height I still can enjoy)... I've never considered a Simpsons in Pure since I'm totally averse of scritch.

Besides, I really wonder why they have ceased producing the Special.
I’ve learned about brush burn from my early experiences - LoL

Even though I predominately face lather, I tend to start all my new brushes via the bowl.
That's a smart advice!
I have never considered this easy solution #facepalm.

Cheers!
Guido

STILL IN!
AN Orange Week For Fruity February and Shave of the Week Society

PXL_20230203_134134191.jpg

GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

Ariana & Evans L' Orange Verte *
Feather DX *
Feather AC Pro (4) *
Brushworx G5C knot
M&L Orange Blossom
* SWS

I had to adjust this soap quickly to get it good and slick-to the point of it being almost runny. After that it was smooth sailing to a 9.561 (BBS) finish and no irritation.

Fruity February Knock-Knock Joke

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

Please take care of yourself and each other.

I have one of these sweet little brushes in Best Badger.
View attachment 1600232
Lovely tiny knot (mine is a 19/42), but the handle is great (for me) since I prefer longer handles (read: 45mm is the minumum height I still can enjoy)... I've never considered a Simpsons in Pure since I'm totally averse of scritch.

Besides, I really wonder why they have ceased producing the Special.

That's a smart advice!
I have never considered this easy solution #facepalm.

Cheers!
Guido
The Berkeley has nearly identical Specs but I’m with you the handle shape is excellent for such a small knot.

C18748ED-EBC1-4CC1-9243-783205466853.png

Top Bottom