What's new

Eleven Years On

1/28

Slept terribly, feel very out-of-sorts today.
Yesterday's shave was very persistent, probably Light- growth but certainly enough to warrant removal.

Going with the '57 SS because we're not undertaking heavy lifting today. Decide to try the Simpson X2L Best Badger with Tabac, start the lather in a bowl to hopefully avoid irritation. I add a bit too much water and end up with something rather airy, I also neglect to fully "squeeze" the lather from the brush later in the shave, don't know why I missed such a rudimentary step. I thought I loaded the brush substantially, but overall it's a pretty weak lather. I blame my unfamiliarity with this brush, mostly.

Brush has a little scritch, certainly more than my other brushes. I think it's compounded by my extra delicate skin, yesterday's face lather with boar, and my occasional sensitivity to Tabac.

WTG feels very unproductive, like I'm removing lather more than anything else. Little bladefeel in XTG and far too much beard remaining, I do a third XTG/ATG pass. A couple weepers at the base of the neck, I think I had some ingrowns or bumps from yesterday's shave. Overall DFS+ and no discomfort from the razor, but the lather left a lot to be desired. Hydro Boost. Maybe I need a nap.

1/28

Slept terribly, feel very out-of-sorts today.
Yesterday's shave was very persistent, probably Light- growth but certainly enough to warrant removal.

Going with the '57 SS because we're not undertaking heavy lifting today. Decide to try the Simpson X2L Best Badger with Tabac, start the lather in a bowl to hopefully avoid irritation. I add a bit too much water and end up with something rather airy, I also neglect to fully "squeeze" the lather from the brush later in the shave, don't know why I missed such a rudimentary step. I thought I loaded the brush substantially, but overall it's a pretty weak lather. I blame my unfamiliarity with this brush, mostly.

Brush has a little scritch, certainly more than my other brushes. I think it's compounded by my extra delicate skin, yesterday's face lather with boar, and my occasional sensitivity to Tabac.

WTG feels very unproductive, like I'm removing lather more than anything else. Little bladefeel in XTG and far too much beard remaining, I do a third XTG/ATG pass. A couple weepers at the base of the neck, I think I had some ingrowns or bumps from yesterday's shave. Overall DFS+ and no discomfort from the razor, but the lather left a lot to be desired. Hydro Boost. Maybe I need a nap.

Sorry to hear you're off kilter today, I know this thing has it's up's and downs for sure. I hope your feline companions are doing their job and pigpiling on you till you get too hot and kick them off. :)

Something in your post today caught my eye. But I'm a little hesitant to bring it up....

I also neglected to fully "squeeze" the lather from the brush later in the shave, don't know why I missed such a rudimentary step.

1674956205428.png

No rush, I know you aren't feeling great but I'm really curious about your brush squeezing.

Hope you get a good (better!) sleep tonight.

Nap report: nap worked great!

brush squeezing

The best lather-y bits are always hiding in the brush. Some folks squeeze this lather out at the beginning, depositing in the lather bowl for immediate use—others (myself) use this lather for the final pass. It’s typically less aerated/billowy, I’m usually wanting slickness over cushion in the final pass. See geofatboy do it in his first shaving video from 30,000 years ago when YouTubes could only be 10 minutes long (At about the 7 minute mark).
(I do not recommend pulling on your brush that hard, but he seems to do everything with a lot of vigor)

I think I would’ve had a more comfortable shave if I’d used that lather today at some point, instead of painting the airy froth that I was using as “lather.” Although, really I should have napped first.

Although, really I should have napped first.

I should get a sticker with that on my truck!!

The best lather-y bits are always hiding in the brush. Some folks squeeze this lather out at the beginning, depositing in the lather bowl for immediate use—others (myself) use this lather for the final pass. It’s typically less aerated/billowy, I’m usually wanting slickness over cushion in the final pass. See geofatboy do it in his first shaving video from 30,000 years ago when YouTubes could only be 10 minutes long (At about the 7 minute mark).

AH!! I get it. Thank you Desertcat!! I'm going to check that out next shave, I had no idea that was a thing. That was very well described, thank you!! Time for some video watching.

Luckily for us daily shavers there’s always tomorrow’s shave. You are just under the weather that’s all. Go easy on yourself. Hope things will take a turn towards more recovery and comfort.

Cheers,

Guido

Meow,
Keeping it quick (both the entry and the shave). Feeling much better today and thanks for everyone's gentle encouragement yesterday. Growth is very sparing but felt like shaving anyway.

I have a sample of brick Cella sent to me by a generous B&Ber, figured I'd take it for a spin. Felt like the traditional boar accompaniment made sense, grabbed the new Omega 49, pressed some Cella into the bottom of the lather bowl.
Moved the AstraSP out of the SS and into the '66 Tech, I think it's the blade's 3rd shave. Plan to stay conservative and do a 2 pass.

Lather is good, almond smell is light and pleasant. Rich texture. Gently applied to face with a touch more water. WTG pass feels uselessly unproductive--I'm sure I shaved something but could barely tell. XTG accomplishes a little more, but the results feel far from finished. I do a little touchup around the chin and jawline. Overall it's a DFS- maybe places of DFS. Probably what my skin called for, but I prefer closer results. Not that it matters, as I'm still isolating and my pillow won't care how long my whiskers are. I haven't shaved with the Tech in quite a while, I'm sure that had an impact. Look forward to trying Cella with my other brushes.

Ciao--

1/30

Again, another shave that was perhaps not needed--but what's the harm in doing a little self-care?

Haven't lathered with Arko in a while, I choose the new Yaqi Silvertip and the GC.84-P with an AstraSP that has two prior shaves.

Brush feels very good, a little on the floppy side but very soft tips. I don't quite make enough lather, but I'm not going for broke with this shave and I trust my skill with the GC. Shooting for a 2.5ish pass. WTG is much more productive than my milder razors have been. I think with those milder razors, I have to do a more N->S pattern for more WXTG to get more effectiveness. The second pass, XTG is also comfortable and productive. Still a little too much stubble, I do a quick XTG/ATG on the chin and jawline. One weeper formed above the chin. Alum has some sensation, but I think it's sensitive skin more than razor irritation. HydroBoost to conclude. Results are BBS- in areas that received a 3rd pass, DFS+ elsewhere.

When rinsing the brush, the tips have an uncanny and sort of unnatural softness to them. I have heard that Yaqi may do some treatments to their natural hair brushes to create these soft textures. I would be inclined to believe that's true. However I can't complain about the feel on the face, which is very comfortable. Hopefully subsequent shaves can wash out any lingering conditioners they may have used. The brush has bloomed beautifully and I will share a photo sometime in the future.

I also took a COVID test, which is only showing the faintest hint of positivity. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be released from my isolation in the guest bedroom. Meantime, going to take a walk while the sun is shining. Enjoy the day.

1/31

First and most importantly, I took a COVID test today and had no indication of positivity. It's a relief to no longer be a threat to public health (or the health of my partner and pets).

Growth was sparing again today, so I returned to the '66 Tech. I binned the loaded blade and moved the blade out of the GC so it's had 3 prior uses. For lather I choose the D.R. Harris Arlington shave stick and a new brush, a synthetic with ceramic handle from Whipped Dog. Lather was built on face, probably slightly underhydrated, I always underestimate the water needed when synthetic brush fibers don't carry moisture like natural bristle. Not sure about this scent, reminds me of bug spray--but the lather itself has great slickness throughout the shave. I forgot to use a hot towel, may have impacted smoothness the WTG pass but overall didn't ruin the shave.

Only doing a 2 pass with touchup today. As I planned earlier, I want to have more "neutral" directional passes with my milder razors, hoping to increase their efficiency in the WTG pass especially. So I start by shaving pretty N->S except in sensitive areas. I believe this pass was more successful than my recent previous shave with the Tech. I typically do the XTG pass pretty horizontal E->W and I do the same, it's not finding as much resistance so I think my strategy worked well. I do have some moments where I lose bladefeel and effectiveness on the right side goatee, seems to be a recurring issue that I'm unsure how to solve. I think on the left side, I pull the razor more horizontally and perhaps with steeper angle. Will need to keep an eye on this area. 2nd pass on the neck I go more WXTG as typical. Jawline and chin need a touchup and I go closer to S->N which is mostly XATG rather than true ATG. Results are a very comfortable DFS+/BBS- better than my last Tech shave. Alum has slight to negligible presence. I go for HydroBoost again.

I'm inspired by @Guido75 including a little reflection in the journal. So, looking back, it's been a good month! Shaves have been reasonably close and comfortable, none stand out as total train-wrecks. I have added to my brush collection extensively (an area I wasn't planning to expand, but now I have at least 3 options for each badger/boar/synth) and added to the lathers modestly (from about 3 options to perhaps 8). Still no real interest in new razors, as I still have not tried my '55 Red Tip Super Speed, Weishi 9306, and the '62 Slim Adjustable in settings higher than 5. I still want to conquer the Fat Handle Tech also.

Meanwhile I have barely dipped my toes into blade experimentation. Initial shaves with the Lab Blue have been fine, but unexceptional and not as smooth as I'd prefer. Only a sample size of like, 2 shaves, so the answer is far from definitive. I have a tuck of Nacets to try also. I'm curious about PermaSharps, AstraSS, someone mentioned liking Treets in their FaTip, and generally I'm curious to try non-Russian blades. Once I've given all my razors a fair shake with AstraSP, I'll properly enter blade testing. I think I'd want to experience each blade in two kinds of trials--one blade kept in a single razor for 4-5 shaves, followed by the same brand tried in multiple razors.

Looking forward to spring. Wishing you smooth shaves, fellow sojourners.

Greetings, fellow travelers.
I joined this forum nearly 11 years ago, hoping to find support and community as I embarked on wetshaving in my early 20s. After a period of experimentation (and some tools supplied by generous B&B members from PIFs) I settled into a routine that produced results that satisfied me at the time, and I dropped off the forum. In the intervening years I have modestly expanded my equipment, though I'm still using the same two brushes from all those years ago. I've seen shaving primarily from a utilitarian, rather than a hobbyist perspective. However, I'm finding that I need to give a little refreshment to my routines. In the last 5 years I'm shaving almost daily, and I hope some new purchases and diligence in documenting my progress will provide me with better results--and perhaps my experience will be valuable to others.

Currently, my equipment is as follows:
RazorsMerkur 34C
Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette Old Type OC
Gillette Flare Tip SS
BrushesOmega 49
TGN Badger in vintage Ever Ready handle
SoapsTabac
Arko
Cremo
MWF (I've run out, currently)
I use exclusively AstraSP blades, probably for 7+ shaves before replacing--though I don't keep very close track. I've been reluctant to try other blades, but perhaps with a more organized approach I can maintain enough consistency to notice differences between blades.

I've ordered a replacement Omega 49 because mine has been in service for so long, as well as a RazoRock 400. Additionally, I've ordered a RazoRock GC .84 closed comb and Fatip Grande OC. I should probably get another soap into the mix, just for the sake of variety.
In the meantime, the Gillette SS was my most recent purchase and I find myself reaching for it somewhat frequently--especially on days when I need comfort and DFS more than BBS, which I struggle to achieve with the SS without irritation. I'm hoping the new razors I purchased will fill the gap in aggressiveness between the Merkur and the Old Type--I really only reach for the Old Type for WTG passes with heavier growth, I can't recall the last 3-pass where I used the Old Type for the entire shave.

My technique is pretty dialed and consistent--shower followed by Arko as pre-shave, face lathering and a consistent 3-pass with the necessary directional adjustments to accommodate my beard grain pattern. Alum block followed by rinse and balm.

As far as improvement is concerned, I'm hoping I can further refine my technique and get better results in trouble areas. I have delicate skin and struggle to balance comfort with the closeness of shave I seek. I also wonder if face lathering is a source of irritation, that perhaps prolonged skin contact with soap and the abrasion of the brush is contributing to the problem. However, I recall in my earlier days that my attempts at bowl lathering were hugely unsuccessful and I abandoned the method--though I'm sure my technique was lacking. Any recommendations for lighter-scented, gentler, or sensitive-friendly soaps would be greatly appreciated.

In any case, I'm glad to find B&B still kicking after all these years, with the same friendly spirit I remember. And to any newbies reading--life is a marathon, not a sprint.
--DC
Great post. I appreciate your modest collection of razors and your choice of blades (mi
Greetings, fellow travelers.
I joined this forum nearly 11 years ago, hoping to find support and community as I embarked on wetshaving in my early 20s. After a period of experimentation (and some tools supplied by generous B&B members from PIFs) I settled into a routine that produced results that satisfied me at the time, and I dropped off the forum. In the intervening years I have modestly expanded my equipment, though I'm still using the same two brushes from all those years ago. I've seen shaving primarily from a utilitarian, rather than a hobbyist perspective. However, I'm finding that I need to give a little refreshment to my routines. In the last 5 years I'm shaving almost daily, and I hope some new purchases and diligence in documenting my progress will provide me with better results--and perhaps my experience will be valuable to others.

Currently, my equipment is as follows:
RazorsMerkur 34C
Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette Old Type OC
Gillette Flare Tip SS
BrushesOmega 49
TGN Badger in vintage Ever Ready handle
SoapsTabac
Arko
Cremo
MWF (I've run out, currently)

I use exclusively AstraSP blades, probably for 7+ shaves before replacing--though I don't keep very close track. I've been reluctant to try other blades, but perhaps with a more organized approach I can maintain enough consistency to notice differences between blades.
I've ordered a replacement Omega 49 because mine has been in service for so long, as well as a RazoRock 400. Additionally, I've ordered a RazoRock GC .84 closed comb and Fatip Grande OC. I should probably get another soap into the mix, just for the sake of variety.
In the meantime, the Gillette SS was my most recent purchase and I find myself reaching for it somewhat frequently--especially on days when I need comfort and DFS more than BBS, which I struggle to achieve with the SS without irritation. I'm hoping the new razors I purchased will fill the gap in aggressiveness between the Merkur and the Old Type--I really only reach for the Old Type for WTG passes with heavier growth, I can't recall the last 3-pass where I used the Old Type for the entire shave.

My technique is pretty dialed and consistent--shower followed by Arko as pre-shave, face lathering and a consistent 3-pass with the necessary directional adjustments to accommodate my beard grain pattern. Alum block followed by rinse and balm.

As far as improvement is concerned, I'm hoping I can further refine my technique and get better results in trouble areas. I have delicate skin and struggle to balance comfort with the closeness of shave I seek. I also wonder if face lathering is a source of irritation, that perhaps prolonged skin contact with soap and the abrasion of the brush is contributing to the problem. However, I recall in my earlier days that my attempts at bowl lathering were hugely unsuccessful and I abandoned the method--though I'm sure my technique was lacking. Any recommendations for lighter-scented, gentler, or sensitive-friendly soaps would be greatly appreciated.

In any case, I'm glad to find B&B still kicking after all these years, with the same friendly spirit I remember. And to any newbies reading--life is a marathon, not a sprint.
--DC
Great post, which I read with interest. I'm a Cremo and Astra SP fan too, so that caught my eye.
I try new things almost every day but it's nice to have some favorites to which you can return.

Thanks for reading @Lockback :)

nice to have some favorites

Since starting this journal in early December the favorites have definitely changed! Once the GameChanger.84-P entered my collection, it immediately usurped the Merkur. I think I’ve only returned to the 34C once or twice, it just can’t keep pace with the GameChanger’s efficiency and comfort. Otherwise I’ve just added affordable vintage Gillettes.
Cremo still has a place in my routine as a pre-shave and lather enhancer, but I no longer use it as the sole lather ingredient. Still, I like having it on hand.
I feel like I’ve expanded my options without falling too deep into indulgence. When I do another inventory photo or post I’ll tag you.

Thanks for reading @Lockback :)

Since starting this journal in early December the favorites have definitely changed! Once the GameChanger.84-P entered my collection, it immediately usurped the Merkur. I think I’ve only returned to the 34C once or twice, it just can’t keep pace with the GameChanger’s efficiency and comfort. Otherwise I’ve just added affordable vintage Gillettes.
Cremo still has a place in my routine as a pre-shave and lather enhancer, but I no longer use it as the sole lather ingredient. Still, I like having it on hand.
I feel like I’ve expanded my options without falling too deep into indulgence. When I do another inventory photo or post I’ll tag you.
Clearly, you're not indulgent, which is one of the things that I enjoyed about your thread.
I'm early in the process, a recent convert to so-called "wet shaving". I have a modest collection: 3 razors, probably 18 blade samples (favorites are Astra SP's and Derby Extras), 5 soaps (including Cremo Original, which I like for a quick shave).
I'll undoubtedly be adding a razor or two in the future and will branch out into a soap or two more. But I appreciate your modest approach, although I also enjoy watching others go hog wild and pick up dozens of razors/blades/soaps/brushes/aftershave.

2/1 SOTD

IMG_4441.jpg

Taking the '62 Slim Adjustable for another ride. Want to bump the aggression higher and see how I fare. To reduce unknowns I lather with the TGN Badger and my Cella sample, in hindsight should have considered a soap I'm a little more familiar with. Lather has a great consistency but I just don't quite have enough of it, and I still go for a 3 pass anyway. I could have been more patient and persistent with my loading. Started in bowl and finished on face, after hot towel.

I set the razor at 7, the AstraSP has had two previous shaves. WTG I follow the more N->S pattern, presuming the razor will still be "mild" but I'm quickly proved wrong. It's productive, but leaves some smoothness to be desired. I have a similar feeling in the E->W XTG pass. Lots of bladefeel, but unlike in some of my other razors there's a little skipping happening, especially in the second pass--I presume this is because the blade is not clamped as tightly. I even check the TTO handle, and I've got it firmly twisted. Despite all this, I'd prefer to get a little closer after two passes and do a full ATG, even if I barely made enough lather to accomplish the task. I don't change the razor settings, another missed opportunity to improve the shave. A couple weepers get opened, but it generally goes well--I can just tell I'm teasing some razor burn with all this blade contact. I do make the correct decision to do this pass with a pretty direct ATG approach, so at least I'm effectively removing stubble.

Alum has some places of noticeable sting, weepers all close without much trouble. I reach for Nivea Sensitive, hoping it will absorb rapidly. BBS-/DFS+ but far far less comfortable than other razors have given me. On the other hand, I think prior to rejoining B&B I would frequently experience similar irritation and considered it normal. My standards for comfort have increased, apparently. And I imagine with a little more familiarity I might be able to tolerate this setting for a 3 pass, especially with better lather. Still feeling a little warmth along the jawline and chin 20 minutes later.

I still want to try the Slim at a 9, but will restrict myself to only shaving W/XTG or two passes at such a setting. I have read a number of folks do 9/7/5 for their 3 passes, so far my experience supports this strategy.

Happy February, especially to all you brave one-blade participants.

I even check the TTO handle, and I've got it firmly twisted.
So that’s with the 1/4 turn extra in the end? Should clamp alright then.

I read other brothers tried and liked to actually increase the gap after each pass, so 6-7-8 for example rather than the other way around. Sounds counterintuitive but they report great shaves. That way you first pass is milder leading to usually less irritation.

Guido

Top Bottom