What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I find it interesting how very different the user experiences for this razor are. Well, they always are.

I just want to encourage people to share their impressions.

I am looking forward to the L3+ and ++.
I still have a strong BBS versions vibe when thinking about this head.

My favorite is the BBS-A, which could relate to the + plate. While the aggressive step of the AS plate has the same filed out safety bar for higher gap. The BBS-AS was easy more difficult for me to use but didn't get actually better shaving results.

For the Superslant this means I might have to buy/try two more plates.

I do wonder if the bum Personna comment was posted in my general direction. ;)
Nope, not all.

My comment implied my lack of technique focus was the error, not the blade.
I like the Personna, put in the same class as feathers - will buy another 100 once these are gone.

I'm confident the blade manufacturing flow has completed a stacked tolerance qualification resulting in tight SPC control, ideally 6 sigma. Where as my technique that day was within 1 sigma.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Why is that dang pink rabbit running around in the house beating a drum? :) Another lovely shave with the Superslant...

SOTD: Tuesday January 31, 2023
Razor: Superslant L3SB
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Arko

Skipped yesterday to spend time in the kitchen helping Mrs. Hippie make up a batch of food for Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund. I could have shaved in the afternoon but that would just be wrong. So this morning it was a 4-day growth that probably took two days off the blade, but hey...do what I can. I'll hit it again on Friday and be back on schedule.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Very jealous right now. Lurv opera and dachshunds

She's a sweetie. For a dachshund. :)

She is a registered wire-hair, named (of all things) Matsutake Carry The Torch. As the third generation in her line she was given a "C" kennel name of "Cinder." When she shakes she flaps, hence her family name is "Flappy" or, as I often say, Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund. She's definitely channeling Dame Kiri te Kanawa. Sometimes Beverly Sills, but she can do Pavarotti on a good day.

Dachshunds really like to group-howl. Since she's the only one here, sometimes Mrs. Hippie and I take pity on her and howl along. This makes her very excited. Almost as excited as cheese or car rides.

O.H.

This thread popped up just as I was about to shave and reminded me that I have a Superslant L3 that I haven’t used yet. So I did this time. I’ve never used a slant before except the ATT X1, which isn’t at all this sort of slant.

It’s interesting. Nobody died. It feels very, very smooth and it’s crazy efficient. Quite remarkable. There’s a kind of feeling that it’s so efficient you sense you might irritate your skin if you make extra strokes on an area, but actually you don’t need to and I think you have to adjust your mindset that it’s not going to be necessary when it is with other razors. Also I wouldn’t describe that as blade feel or irritation - it was very gentle and there was little blade feel. It was just a kind of awareness that you shouldn’t overshave with it - hard to say exactly what made me sense that.

I only needed two passes, which I never do even with my Wolfman WR2 1.55. Super-close shave, very calm skin and no sting at all from aftershave. Except…it bit me a couple of times, without warning, going across the grain on my neck. I will live; please don’t worry.

I’m so impressed by the results with this razor that I am itching to grow the hair back and have another go. Maybe there really is something to this wonky razor fad. The head also has a lot of mass and that should aid efficiency too. I want to see what was wrong with my technique that caused the bites (looked like bad nicks but actually cleared up with a couple of splashes of water). My impression is that you need to keep the skin surface flat, or at least not concave, as it felt like maybe the corners of the blade were what bit me. And I think you have to use it steep, which I normally do but I’ve been using neutral angle razors a lot lately and I might have lapsed. Anyway I need to adjust something in how I shaved that area with this razor but the overall results were so good that I know it’s well worth figuring out and even worth it if I have to shave in a slightly different manner with this razor than with others. I did complete the shave to a perfect smoothness in about half the time I normally spend - that alone has to be worth it.

Apart from the shave, the razor was extremely easy to load, didn’t feel unbalanced despite the heavy head, good grip from the handle. I used a fresh Feather blade, by the way.

So, anyway, that’s the first shave report from a completely inexperienced slant user tackling this rather sinister device. Tips and advice welcome, although I’m very sure I will get along delightfully with this thing.

49A382B6-F756-4CDB-9FCC-65B999111DD2.jpeg

Got mine from Pasteurs L2++. Loading the blade (PermaSharp) was not easy , finally I decided to just put it through the posts and then turn down and screw it in.....holding w a towel. Looked centered. used Pre-Barba then MDC Argumes w Muhle synthetic. 2+ passes, with the grain i did not feel much blade......but it took down 4 days of stubble (1st pass). Got no blood but could tell the skin was irritated. Alum did NOT burn but later (10") i used Proraso Red after shave (burnt) , and then I got some residual stinging. Used pre de provance balm...... still had residual burning and finally applied some Nivea antioxidant (it's a cream that turns oily....not marketed sa shaving product but a good healer. So: the razor is difficult to load, the shave was good: close and smooth but the after burn was not pleasant. Will need to try a different blade , maybe the 2nd shave is the charm.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just received the used SuperSlant L3 the other day. I have the L2++ base plate on the way. I do have a question. I loaded a Wizamet in it and noticed, like @Filudo ,the blade gets sort of smashed into place. That is probably a poor choice of words, but it is a slant, after all, and the blade has to conform to the top cap and the base plate.

My question: I usually disassemble my razors, clean and dry them and finally reassemble them with the same blade, flipped, or change to a new blade after every shave. With the blade having that much pressure applied, as you disassemble it, how do you get the blade out or is that easier than I'm imagining? Secondly, is the blade weakened to such an extent they will snap in half or be misshapen if I follow my normal routine, taking the razor apart for cleaning, etc. after every shave.

I'm sure I will figure this out as I use the razor but I'd appreciate the group's collective knowledge. Any advice would be welcome.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just received the used SuperSlant L3 the other day. I have the L2++ base plate on the way. I do have a question. I loaded a Wizamet in it and noticed, like @Filudo ,the blade gets sort of smashed into place. That is probably a poor choice of words, but it is a slant, after all, and the blade has to conform to the top cap and the base plate.

My question: I usually disassemble my razors, clean and dry them and finally reassemble them with the same blade, flipped, or change to a new blade after every shave. With the blade having that much pressure applied, as you disassemble it, how do you get the blade out or is that easier than I'm imagining? Secondly, is the blade weakened to such an extent they will snap in half or be misshapen if I follow my normal routine, taking the razor apart for cleaning, etc. after every shave.

I'm sure I will figure this out as I use the razor but I'd appreciate the group's collective knowledge. Any advice would be welcome.

Just do as you usually do. It gets better. No worries.

The noise and crunch are truly impressive

I have the L2++. I find there is variation in blade opening around the pins. Astra and feathers load easily. Personna blues, not so much. I have to place the blade on /over the pins then push down between the pins. the blade drops, then grab the head/blade at the ends and drop the plate on and tighten. No worries on the blade breaking.

1675454951435.png

1675455003333.png

My L1++ is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It sounds great but I've never tried a slant. I may need an L2 plate when restocked. Ordered a Fatip closed comb lo storto in gold also. I know the Superslant will win but the other was so cheap and well reviewed I'm sure I needed it also. haha

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My L1++ is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It sounds great but I've never tried a slant.
Slants are a bit like mythic monsters to wetshavers. They are not that dangerous, they just have the reputation.
The Wunderbar is even particularly smooth, it can bite deep without warning though.
The Superslant doesn't do that, no worries. I found the L3 plate still very, very mild and tame.
L1++... hmmm. I absolutely can't imagine it being too aggressive. But let's see.

Old Hippie

It's fine. I think it's up higher in this thread that I and a couple of others posted some instructions. The first time the blade's gonna know it just got put in a real razor. :) Easy, once you get the knack, and getting it out is not a problem.

I take it all apart, clean, rinse, flip the blade -- every single time. No problems.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I also flip the blade with every shave.

If using the same razor twice in a row I flip the blade.

If I use tomorrow a razor different from today's choice, the blade is moved from today's razor to tomorrow's razor, and flipped.

2-3-23..BlackRazorBank.640..jpeg

Obviously I sometimes discard the blade after sufficient shaves with it, but, even then, I'd flip it before putting it into the new black blade bank.

BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom