What's new

Wish I had done this years ago

Try to stay with one blade in one razor for at least one month, also use one cream or soap. This will allow you to improve your technique before venturing further down the rabbit hole. I started wet shaving age 19, then at age 33 went electric. Came back to sinle blade double edge after razor rash on my neck from cartidges. So, take time to hone technique, good luck, and welcome!

Try to stay with one blade in one razor for at least one month, also use one cream or soap.
Good suggestion but I have violated that step badly. I thought one blade in all four of my razors for one week was long. I was too excited to try all the different blades available but I am settling down now to a more sane cadence so I will try one blade-one month now. I am using one gifted cream for the last month, since Christmas. I have two brushes in rotation so each gets ample drying time. I have a block of alum coming in today, which I am looking forward to adding to the routine. I have discovered which razors of my four give me a two day vs. a three day shave so I was proud of that :)

I have a self enforced one pass shaving routine, with allowed spot touch ups.

Welcome aboard!
Don't put off the use of those vintage Gillettes too long, Gillette had it right, from the get go!
Sounds good and will do on my Tuesday shave. I have a 1963 Gillette Tech, the last year of the brass top cap, that I will try with a BnB blade exchanged Astra SP. I also have a 1940's Gold Tech but that is on its way to BRG for a plating service.

Welcome! Traditional wet shaving is a slippery slope, though it seems you've already figured that out.

Most vintage Gillettes are great shavers, plus there are many new DEs that are amazing, but have you considered giving a straight razor a try ......
Well guess what, seven months later, and I am giving a straight razor a try. I had to come back here because back when I started this thread, I absolutely had no interest in slant or straight razor shaving. I finally tried a couple of slants and love them and now I am straight to it with an SR. I have a Dovo 5/8 inbound but don't even have a strop yet.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Top Bottom