What's new

Question on Thuringian stone

I have received a yellow/green Thuringian stone. I believe it to be a final finisher. Does anyone have info on these? Approximate grit value?

Pics!

Not much I can say regarding the stone, haven't had any experience with one yet.

Insert reply about how you can't really assign grit ratings to naturals.

I know that naturals break down to a finer particle size as you hone. But I am looking for an approximation. I do know they vary with respect to the job they can do. Some are rated for knives and not razors.

Legion

Staff member
I know that naturals break down to a finer particle size as you hone. But I am looking for an approximation. I do know they vary with respect to the job they can do. Some are rated for knives and not razors.
As said above, grits are pretty approximate for natural stones, and there is also the issue of how the edge feels when you are shaving, which goes beyond particle size.

Having said that, YG Thuris are a favourite razor finisher for many people. I think it would be quite safe for you to try it out and see.

From my experience they improve an average coticule edge. Not as sharp as jnats from my experience. I think they are all a lot more consistent then coticules and they are always a finishing hone. I think if I were putting a grit rating I'd say 9-10k ish?

I was never super into them though and have tried a few different ones that felt the same. Doesn't stop me from having a small one though to remind me whenever HAD kicks in haha

Not all natural stones 'break down' with honing. I've not seen any thuri slurry advance to a finer state when being used.

Yellow Green is an Escher thing - a yellow green Escher is part of their marketing scenario.
My unpopular opinion is that unless the stone is a labeled Escher, then using Escher's color designation is incorrect.
Like, if it's not a labeled Escher, then it's not an Escher. So it follows that Eschers colors don't apply either.

I have a Labeled Escher, the cut suggests it was a "Barber's Gem' and the color looks 'y/g'. But without the BG or YG labels, it's just a light colored Escher. Regardless, it's a very good Escher.

I have had equal success with Blue-Green Eschers as I have had with Y/G Eschers. Hyper critical comparisons yielded no difference. Microscope imaging yields visual differences but in use the edges were identical. Maybe some Dark Blue Eschers were a hair less fine, maybe... really hard to say really.
So, basically, I am not of the belief that a YG Escher is going to be better than anything else.
Unlabeled and off-brand stones, Thuris I mean, can be just as good as Eschers.
If it's good, it's good. Most Thuris are pretty good. I had an unlabeled sorta greyish Thuri chunk, like a big triangle, from Hatzicho that was as good or better than any Escher I ever had.

I have a question, perhaps a bit silly... Could an Escher stone, labeled "dark blue", "the celebrated water razor hone" E & Co." give a better shave than a good Charnley Forest stone?

Top Bottom