What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

934FB83C-1C04-4CFF-814D-6AD030322C85.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yep, that’s one of them. Re-scaled from the heavy surfboard scales and better for it, but I doubt that you could order a German razor with proper scales any time in the last 10 years or so.

But yep, the plain blade is more appealing to me, less is more.

Edit: The scales are from a trashed-blade Wostenholm.
Yep! I have several razors re-scaled with acrylic and I now regret having done that. I much prefer the lighter less bulky originals.

#45 in my "my overlooked blade/Brush/Soap" theme.

Haven't posted in a while as I've been so busy.

Razor: Filarmonica Medallon Taurino - I just finished this razor this afternoon. It's a first generation so I didn't go crazy on it, just enough to clean it up properly and remove the worst of the pitting. Sanded up to 3k but didn't polish it.
I put it back together, honed it quickly in about 20 mins knowing I'd go back when I get time to re-hone it properly but it shaved fine. Maybe 70% of what it's capable of but it'll have to wait until next weekend before I get time to do it properly.

I brought a backup R41 just in case but didn't need it.

Soap: TOBS Sandalwood stick - First use of this and it's good. Quite strong scent off it that lingers after the shave.

Brush: Homemade 26mm Badger.

PXL_20230129_210801663.jpg

WoA shave test. The Suehiro Gokumyo 20k is a tough act to follow but this was a nice shaving edge. This was largely a side step from the synthetic finisher. I can’t say that the WoA bumped the keenness at all but it didn’t pull it down much either. I got a close, comfortable and enjoyable shave. Post shave comfort was arguably a little better but I used different products and this was the first touch up cycle after the initial honing. All up a very nice and capable stone.

330AEF9D-DEBA-45EA-9810-3EB290DEA0C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Test drive of a big old Manhattan Cutlery. It might not be the prettiest one around, but it has had a rough life! Honed on Shapton 1K, La Grise Coticule and Translucent Ark.

Supporting cast of:
Gem Junior with honeable Gem Jr. blade,
Rubberset 600N and Stirling Noir.

Nice shave all around!

1000001109.jpg

It's hard to convey the mass of that blade with a photo. It's a 7/8, but thick and heavy.

1000001111.jpg

And some photographic documentation of the aforementioned rough life...

20220928_155119.jpg

#45 in my "my overlooked blade/Brush/Soap" theme.

Haven't posted in a while as I've been so busy.

Razor: Filarmonica Medallon Taurino - I just finished this razor this afternoon. It's a first generation so I didn't go crazy on it, just enough to clean it up properly and remove the worst of the pitting. Sanded up to 3k but didn't polish it.
I put it back together, honed it quickly in about 20 mins knowing I'd go back when I get time to re-hone it properly but it shaved fine. Maybe 70% of what it's capable of but it'll have to wait until next weekend before I get time to do it properly.

I brought a backup R41 just in case but didn't need it.

Soap: TOBS Sandalwood stick - First use of this and it's good. Quite strong scent off it that lingers after the shave.

Brush: Homemade 26mm Badger.

View attachment 1596806
Love those dancer scales...

Top Bottom