What's new

I DRANK THE KOOL-AID

Okay, I've started using Nylon washers between the "Bottom Plate" and the handle because I've read that many of you do. It only took 3 trips to Ace Hardware to get the right size. Too, funny!

I didn't buy them to keep the handle from marring the finish of the "Bottom Plate" on my stainless steel razors. I don't care about that. I don't plan on re-selling.

I think I purchased the washers to keep from putting too much torque on the small screw of the "Top Plate". At least, it's what I'm telling myself. I read on the InterWeb that the washer helps?

I also know, Zamak razor's plating can, over time, begin to Crack at this juncture. I don't know how the screw is attached on Pot Metal "Top Caps" or, how sturdy the connection is? I've never had one fail, but it could happen.

I only have one Zinc razor head, the Merkur 23C. I don't use it much since getting my RR GC 68-P and GC 84-P. It will probably get re-gifted.

Anyway. Is this worthwhile doing, or have I just waisted a couple $$?

b/r

ON_1

I bought a big bag of them from Amazon. I have enough to last forever. I got them for all the reasons mentioned. I think it makes tightening down the handle feel smoother in addition to eliminating the scuff marks.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use the M5 nylon washers with every razor that can use one. The only 3 piece razor I own that won't take one is the Rocnel Elite. The thread on the top cap isn't long enough and the way the handle sort of "nests" into the top cap would also make the use of a M5 nylon washer impractical.

I've always said, "If, I'm crazy, I'm in good company."

You should have seen the look on the Ace guy's face when I told him what they were for. That was when I started to question my sanity.

Even if it has absolutely no benefit, it's one of those things you do, because it just seems it 'should' do something.

I've incorporated the little Nylon spacers into the ritual.

b/r

ON_1

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I disassemble, clean and dry my razors after every shave. I also flip the razor blade. Do the flipped blade and the M5 nylon washer add anything? I don't know.... but I always flip that blade and make sure I didn't lose the washer in the process. <eg> :devil: evil grin.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a big bag of them from Amazon. I have enough to last forever. I got them for all the reasons mentioned. I think it makes tightening down the handle feel smoother in addition to eliminating the scuff marks.
.......I've got a bidness proposition for you my friend!!!

Personally, I think the scuff marks on the bottom of the base plate just signify my enjoyment of the tool. It is like wine and tomato sauce stains on your Cararra marble countertop.

However if you are planning on selling the razor, probably a good idea.

For the most part, I usually only use a nylon washer in cases when I think there's a good chance I'll be selling the razor at some point, otherwise I like the more precise feel I get when tightening down without them. When it's metal on metal, there's a definite stopping point, but with the washers it seems a bit more subjective on when to stop tightening.

I remember I once made multiple trips back & forth to Ace for screws, nuts, bolts for the John Henry adjustable razor (print razor) that one assembles. When the clerk asks me what’s this for and I answered, he looked at me as if I’m crazy:out: After all the hard work the handle snaps and the shave was awful. At least I’m among good company.:a17: Cheers!

Top Bottom