What's new

January 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - DFS+

P II (2), Palmolive Stick, Ever-Ready reknot by @Snargle , AV Splash

B5C88B05-4A71-4BBC-90E2-C0825257DB20.jpeg

BF12D6DE-D76F-47C2-9032-CBF905835FE3.jpeg

Still out 🙏🏽

Shave number 18 with my toy Prismatic, no craving at all.
I thought to load it with a 7 o'clock Black and was in for two nasty surprises.
This tuck is supposed to contain ten blades, but.... only one.
Oh well..... I just shrugged, looking forward to using this one blade. I liked every shave with the Blacks and had high hopes. Surprise again: it was harsh, not at all what I expected. There were some small patches that could have used a little touch up, but I was glad the shave was sufficient and skipped the finishing touch this time. Proof that great blades can underperform too.
It will not come as a surprise: the Areffa was excellent. Quite thirsty though.

7B7FE264-A71E-4128-BC6B-BBBADA64B50F.jpeg

Last edited:
Still out 🙏🏽

Oh well..... I just shrugged, looking forward to using this one blade. I liked every shave with it and had high hopes. Surprise again: it was harsh, not at all what I expected. There were some small patches that could have used a little touch up, but I was glad the shave was sufficient and skipped the finishing touch this time. Proof that great blades can underperform too.

View attachment 1596506
Hey Jack, is that 18 uses in a row? Are you finding the shaves become more carefree over time? Lately I have been using the same razor for 2-3 weeks at time and I find that the shaves are better.

Hey Jack, is that 18 uses in a row? Are you finding the shaves become more carefree over time? Lately I have been using the same razor for 2-3 weeks at time and I find that the shaves are better.
Funny you should ask. The past two shaves were bad. The Treet Platinum shaved like a potatoe peeler and this former favorite blade underperformed. Before these two moronic blades, most were good, great or excellent in the Prismatic.

Funny you should ask. The past two shaves were bad. The Treet Platinum shaved like a potatoe peeler and this former favorite blade underperformed. Before these two moronic blades, most were good, great or excellent in the Prismatic.
I guess the upside is that it lets you focus mostly on blade performance. Its helped me narrow down which blades work with each razor. BIC Chrome in my WR2, is like a potato peeler (as you so aptly put it, lol) but they perform well in my WR1s 🤷‍♂️.

Simple Smooth, Soothing Satisfying Synthetic Sunday Shave

PXL_20230129_135136674.jpg

E. Jagger 89
Muhle Rasurkultur
RR Big Bruce
D.R. Harris Lavender

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves
Today: Synthetic Sundays!!!
Feb. 1st: Start OBIF, SWS and Fruity February

Hey Guys
I wanted a simple easy peasy no fuss shave today. I got it and a DFS+ finish.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

I guess the upside is that it lets you focus mostly on blade performance. Its helped me narrow down which blades work with each razor. BIC Chrome in my WR2, is like a potato peeler (as you so aptly put it, lol) but they perform well in my WR1s 🤷‍♂️.
True, though this was the first misfit with the Black.
Also: I don't keep notes and have and use so many blades and razors... hard to keep track sometimes.

Still out 🙏🏽

Oh well..... I just shrugged, looking forward to using this one blade. I liked every shave with the Blacks and had high hopes. Surprise again: it was harsh, not at all what I expected. There were some small patches that could have used a little touch up, but I was glad the shave was sufficient and skipped the finishing touch this time. Proof that great blades can underperform too.

View attachment 1596506
Nice touch to put St Christophor next to The Unforgiven. Very Sunday like.

Still in!

20230129_133926-01-01-01.jpeg

I shaved two passes and had to add some extended touchups on my critical areas (chin, jawline, and a few spots on the neck). I ended up with a very comfortable shave, BBS on the face, DFS+ on the neck. No nicks, no irritation. 👍

Have a relaxed Sunday and some relaxing shaves, comrades!

PS: stay on course, we are almost there!

Still in. one more shave and the month of January will be done for.

At the beginning of the year I had decided that January and February were going to be test month for my new to me razor, the Feather Popular 800-1B and the Baili BR179, and that no mater what I would stick to 1 blade a week and see what will be best. Lets face it this is conductive to some subpar consecutive shave , this is fine with me, but all my apologies if my shave write up feels like a constant whining blurb, I am just trying to get it down so I do not forget about it.

2 day worth of growth

January GRUME : 17
2023 GRUYERE : 17

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Astra Superior Platinum aka Astra Green (0)
Pre Shave : bar soap by the sink
Soap (SOTM) : Proraso White tub
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, Nivea Men Sensitive Calm Moisturizing, spot use of Dove Men+Care ultra hydra cream.

IMG-0788.jpg

With this week being split between two month, I will start with the Proraso to finish January and will finish with the Gillette Pure to start February.

Well this razor will need a sharper blade, the first pass was efficient but after that things went downhill, a few cuts and nicks and lasting irritation around the mouth and on the lower left side neck .

I though I had 3017 a tube of Nivea Men Sensitive Calm Moisturizing but some-who that did not sat well with me. So I took a blade to it and found the below, a few more use that are unreachable, unless you cut it open, I guess this will be the primary post shave balm for this week

IMG-0790.jpg

In with an early shave. We have friends coming over for a noon dinner. They live 10 miles beyond the rock slide, a half mile down the road. They’ll drive to the slide, walk around it (other side of the guardrail), and I’ll shuttle them to our house. (I’m your vehicle baby, I’ll take you anywhere you want to go! Can you spot another song title in my post? But I digress…). They were originally scheduled for an evening meal, but they didn’t want to walk around the slide after dark.

Oh, the shave, another DFS+++, and the blade is one shy of 200.

Top Bottom