What's new

Tips for Merkur Progress Noob

some good advice on the settings in this post.

With the original adjustment knob, I ignore the numbers. I end up just counting how many of the scalloped sections I turn the knob. I tend to think in quarter turns, plus or minus 1/8th.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference in 1/16th of a turn, but I suppose if one setting seemed a little rough that day, you could back it off a 1/16th of a turn. I'd just do 1/8th. The original numerical markings are in tenths, so eighths is close enough.

on mine, the alignment marking on the side cap is very faint, it's easier to look at the number stamped on the underside, and figure out on which side of the post hole it should go, using the number stamped on the adjustment plate, next to the hole, as a reference.

Thanks for all the advice!

The Merkur Progress and I are getting along quite nicely, thank you very much! It’s in my regular rotation now, and I’ve got no complaints.

I’ve kept it set on the low end of the dial thus far (1.5 to 2 gives a great, mild shave with no irritation). I may play with cranking it up once I’ve got more shaves under my belt; but I have a red tip and a couple Old Types when I feel the need for a more aggressive shave. I like the Progress for multiple passes and buffing on the lower settings so far.

Last edited:
SOTD: Merkur Progress (short) 5-5-2, German Wilkinson (4), Semogue SOC 2-band, NSC Citrus & Ginger, Unscented WH, Speick AS splash, Alverde balm.

Last time I shaved with the R89, it wasn't bad, but the Progress is just a joy to use. Smooth and so efficient. This blade does not want to give up, I rarely use blades 5 times, but after 4 shaves it is not showing any sign of dulling. My face, including the trouble spots around and on the chin is BBS, neck DFS+. (only 2 passes there). :cheerful:

Expert is in and the Merkur Progress was a lot better with models found from the 1990's. Felt like a luxury watch. New ones in 2023 are like new underwear. White, tidy and absolutely no provenance or history. I recall Progress could be overly aggressive for the entire collection of razors, it was one of the determinants of how the shave is going for the entire collection of adjustables and preferences of pieces. Keep it mild for a good long time, for once you are at aggressive there's not much else in the shaving world to master.

The expert opinion is to buy several of the same piece from different decades and make copious notes with a shave log.

Mergress should be considered in the lineup. And determine if you would like multiple adjustable razors or if Progress is the ultimate No. 1 razor to live with forever.

Consider a carrying case for your Progress head so you can safely travel without concern for damage or theft.

Expert is in and the Merkur Progress was a lot better with models found from the 1990's. Felt like a luxury watch. New ones in 2023 are like new underwear. White, tidy and absolutely no provenance or history. I recall Progress could be overly aggressive for the entire collection of razors, it was one of the determinants of how the shave is going for the entire collection of adjustables and preferences of pieces. Keep it mild for a good long time, for once you are at aggressive there's not much else in the shaving world to master.

The expert opinion is to buy several of the same piece from different decades and make copious notes with a shave log.

Mergress should be considered in the lineup. And determine if you would like multiple adjustable razors or if Progress is the ultimate No. 1 razor to live with forever.

Consider a carrying case for your Progress head so you can safely travel without concern for damage or theft.

In my experience of having many progress razors over the years, I would advise against travelling with one.
They are very sensitive to impact damage...like baggage handlers at airports!

The alignment is very prone to going off and once this happens, there's not much one can do to regain even alignment.

My progress never leaves home!
I use the tank-like Rockwell 6S for travel.

In my experience of having many progress razors over the years, I would advise against travelling with one.

The alignment is very prone to going off and once this happens, there's not much one can do to regain even alignment.

That's why I ordered my Progress in a pack with the original travel box. Hopefully, it will prevent such bad events 🤞

Reactions: nav
I'll add another tip for all safety razors. Try a blade assortment from the same manufacturer over the course of 60 shaves. Look at stainless steel, chrome coating, tungsten coating, platinum coating, teflon coating and also try carbon steel. Within the same manufacturer you might find a worse blade in a sea where everything feels better. Try soap A, B, C, with the same razor and make a log book. Then try a new blade within the same manufacturer.

Just put in a Feather and start in the middle settings......you should get a good shave...... I only like feather blades in this particular razor......esp. shave #2 and 3, then I toss them....

That's why I ordered my Progress in a pack with the original travel box. Hopefully, it will prevent such bad events 🤞

I travel with a tight fitting leather pouch for my DE razor. Unfortunately it didn't prevent two progress razors from getting misaligned.
I feel the progress is just too sensitive and makes a poor choice as a travel razor.

Where was the misalignment? Along one edge, one end higher than the other or something like that?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I travel with a tight fitting leather pouch for my DE razor. Unfortunately it didn't prevent two progress razors from getting misaligned.
I feel the progress is just too sensitive and makes a poor choice as a travel razor.
Thx for the head's up.

Where was the misalignment? Along one edge, one end higher than the other or something like that?

On one of them, it was one end higher than the other.

On the other, one side got more blade exposure. As of the whole head got pushed more to one side so that the blade feel and efficiency was completely different.
One side became too mild and the other became mega aggressive!

Since then, I've never travelled with the progress.

I would think if the cap is locked down, nothing can move so should be okay to travel that way. However I prefer to use a EJ DE89 for travelling as it is gives a good shave and is replaceable at reasonable cost.
It is the spring loaded blade carrier that seems to cause a problem. I occasionally apply some light machine oil to the housing to keep it moving freely.

Don’t forget to line up the triangle with the mark on the side when you change a blade or the alignment will be wrong.

Bought a Progress for myself at Christmas along with a TI straight razor... . . only two small nicks to be honest but I’m going to use the Progress and Feather tomorrow. Really glad I purchased it but think I will have to be more careful with the Feather blade.
From my experience, using a Progress (a fairly heavy razor) loaded with a new Feather blade:

. . . "more careful" is not good enough -- "no pressure" is an absolute rule.

That blade is really sharp. After the blade gets a bit dull, "more careful" might be OK.

In the past few weeks, I've gone from using an aluminum RR Lupo, back to my old Progress. Some designs just work.

. Charles

On one of them, it was one end higher than the other.

On the other, one side got more blade exposure. As of the whole head got pushed more to one side so that the blade feel and efficiency was completely different.
One side became too mild and the other became mega aggressive!

Since then, I've never travelled with the progress.

I could see that happening. If the handle/head base were bent with respect to each other, even just a little bit, the handle/adjustment knob would keep the top cap aligned with it, but then it wouldn’t be in line with the base plate… so when you tightened the cap down, it would be canted - well, the base plate would be canted - and the top cap would not tighten down in a level manner.

I’ve not seen one apart, so not sure how the handle is pressed into the base of the head.

I could see that happening. If the handle/head base were bent with respect to each other, even just a little bit, the handle/adjustment knob would keep the top cap aligned with it, but then it wouldn’t be in line with the base plate… so when you tightened the cap down, it would be canted - well, the base plate would be canted - and the top cap would not tighten down in a level manner.

I’ve not seen one apart, so not sure how the handle is pressed into the base of the head.

I don't understand how it can happen given the razors were in a leather pouch, inside my travel bag, which was inside my suitcase.
But twice is enough for me to never risk travelling with a progress.
It's just too risky.

A solid 3 piece razor is a better choice for travel I feel.

From my experience, using a Progress (a fairly heavy razor) loaded with a new Feather blade:

. . . "more careful" is not good enough -- "no pressure" is an absolute rule.

That blade is really sharp. After the blade gets a bit dull, "more careful" might be OK.

I was very careful with the Progress & Feather blade. Best shave so far though as I just used it on #3 to clean up after another attempt with the SR. I only did one pass but wow it was sharp.

Is there any difference between the vintage merkur progress and the current production versions?

Anything in particular to look for in purchasing one?

Prices seem to vary quite a bit. And some seem to come in cardboard box and some in a plastic case? 🤔

Any experts that could explain the various differences and to clarify what to look for?

Last edited:
Is there any difference between the vintage merkur progress and the current production versions?

Anything in particular to look for in purchasing one?

Prices seem to vary quite a bit. And some seem to come in cardboard box and some in a plastic case? 🤔

Any experts that could explain the various differences and to clarify what to look for?

Merkur sells the Progress with a Travel Case or standalone.

Merkur 570 Progress Adjustable DE Double Edge Safety Razor w/ Travel Case - https://www.therazorcompany.com/products/merkur-570-progress-adjustable-de-double-edge-safety-razor-w-travel-case

Top Bottom