What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

Still In!...I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A MAN!
SHOW #7 completed.

PXL_20230126_152418184.jpg

Feather DX
Feather Artist Club Pro
E. Jagger D89
Gillette Platinum
Omega EVO 2.o
D.R. Harris Naturals

I am not familiar with the longevity of the Feather AC Pros but I guess I'll find out next month. In order to participate in the One Blade In February Challenge I will have to use the DX razor the entire month.
A few days ago I decided to use the DX for a week in the Shave of the Week Society. Now I will have to sign up for the whole month.

By the end of February, I hope to improve my straight razor skills.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
78E92F53-1921-4A1E-8741-8700B1876448.jpeg

Still in.

I broke out but still need to shave so no brush, just a latherless cream from Lush and two light passes on the G. Super/gsb blades. Seeing as its already Jan 27th, I think I migh have seen the last of the Connaught boar brush, it was a lovely 2 months, but it'll be another brush next time. Maybe I'll break out my synthetic, I haven't used that in forever.

I'm glad its already Friday.

Still In!...I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A MAN!
SHOW #7 completed.

View attachment 1595354
Feather DX
Feather Artist Club Pro
E. Jagger D89
Gillette Platinum
Omega EVO 2.o
D.R. Harris Naturals

I am not familiar with the longevity of the Feather AC Pros but I guess I'll find out next month. In order to participate in the One Blade In February Challenge I will have to use the DX razor the entire month.
A few days ago I decided to use the DX for a week in the Shave of the Week Society. Now I will have to sign up for the whole month.

By the end of February, I hope to improve my straight razor skills.

Please take care of yourself and each other.
with good technique and shallow angles, I'd get 20+ over 12-18+ months. I just rarely used it. I have no idea how long the current blade's been loaded but it was fine last time I used it.

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
January 2023 GRUME #18 - Still in

Date: 01.27.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Tech Razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Ever Ready R40 Pure Badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

Lather: Face lather with Nablus soap block

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel EDT
6 - Balm: N/A

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

BrokenAlum.png

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.

Ahh! In that case I understand why! If I were going to exit, it ought to be for something that makes it worth it to do so!

Thank you sir. I will now do some research just to learn more about it.
same manufacturer, same soap base, different scent as I understood it. it was already out of production, scarce and pricy when I heard about them. today? I'm sure any left would go for big money.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Head shaver

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

3 - Alum block

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

View attachment 1595509

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
It looks like it will still work, at least in the picture. Would you say you can get by?

Head shaver

3 - Alum block

View attachment 1595509

Hi,

Well, it certainly looks broken. I don't use one, so I have no idea if there is a way to keep on using it. If you don't have another, then you can replace it.

The entire idea here is to stop buying *more* stuff like you already have which is perfectly usable. So, if you need to replace it, you need to replace it. Just don't buy a huge lot of alum blocks! Buy a better one if you now know of such. ;)

Stan

It looks like it will still work, at least in the picture. Would you say you can get by?
Yeah, I might be able to. Like I say, I'm going to shave it down and smooth it out and see. Just planning ahead and also checking the 'official' stance because I really want to succeed in this challenge. I am new to DE shaving only since September of 2022. Right out of gate I accumulated in just 3 months 6 handles, a dozen or so soaps/creams, 5 different brushes, over 25 aftershaves/splashes, etc. So I saw this thread and the monthly one and said to myself "I need that" (restraint that is)... LOL

Yeah, I might be able to. Like I say, I'm going to shave it down and smooth it out and see. Just planning ahead and also checking the 'official' stance because I really want to succeed in this challenge. I am new to DE shaving only since September of 2022. Right out of gate I accumulated in just 3 months 6 handles, a dozen or so soaps/creams, 5 different brushes, over 25 aftershaves/splashes, etc. So I saw this thread and the monthly one and said to myself "I need that" (restraint that is)... LOL
You’ll make it work. Alum blocks here in the Netherlands are by Vergulde Hand usually and they are app. 1”x1.5” so whenever I see an alum block here in the forum I consider them to be humongous in size 😊

You’ll make it work. Alum blocks here in the Netherlands are by Vergulde Hand usually and they are app. 1”x1.5” so whenever I see an alum block here in the forum I consider them to be humongous in size 😊
Good to know, since I am a newbie to DE shaving and alum blocks, I don't really have a frame of reference about how long it would last so I'll make it work then and if not I'll check-in again...

Good to know, since I am a newbie to DE shaving and alum blocks, I don't really have a frame of reference about how long it would last so I'll make it work then and if not I'll check-in again...
I don’t use them that often I must admit, but when I got back to at shaving I sort of bought one on auto pilot thinking I needed that. Only to come home and see that I still had the one I bought when first wet shaving back in 1996! So the rate these go for me I think I have enough to make it to my 80th or 90th birthday!

Cheers,

Good

Top Bottom