What's new

Using a Heater Element to Heat Water

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this Thread?

Here goes. Some of you older folks might remember the Single Cup Heater Element for heating water in a cup? Used for Tea or coffee, boil water, etc.

I tried using it years ago and burned up the 'element' when I left it in a cup cup of water and went and took my shower. Which usually takes me 10 - 15 minutes.

In that short amount of time it took to shower, the H2O boiled off and the heating element burned up.

Fast forward to now. I tried it again, only this time I unplug the element prior to my shower. LOL!

When I get out of the shower, I plug it back in. I apply my Proraso Pre-Shave and leave on for a couple of minutes. By the time everything is ready I have nice hot water for my Scuttle. It creates a nice, thick, warm Proraso Green foam. The Scuttle retains the heat perfectly.

I know boiling water will destroy the foam, so I'm very aware not to get the water to the boiling point.

It works for me. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You can easily simplify your situation if you'd like to...

I simply heat up water in my electric kettle. Yes, it heats up to boiling. However, I don't put the water in the lather. I fill my Captains Choice scuttle, and the heat, heats up the lather above the water chamber. I don't have issues with lather breakdown, this works perfectly, and helps me to have a luxurious shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

PS: I would never use those heating elements that you just stick in a mug, glass, or pot. I don't trust them, I see them as a fire hazard. And you will notice, many of them which are made in China to low quality standards, they don't even have a grounded plug. You and I both know thats a safety hazard not having a ground. And to make matters worse, there is also no GFCI breaker.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You don't have to be that old to remember. Even now, most modern houses in the Philippines are built without a centralised hotwater supply. Rich(er) people had "instant" hotwater systems piped into there shower system.

In Cebu during the dry season (winter) the morning temperature can get down to the low 20s°C or even below. That is when I (actually my housemaid) would get out the portable electric water heater, about the size of a cup, and submerge it in a bucket of water for my morning ablutions.

Oh how I miss not having a live-in housemaid.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker ...thank you for the thoughts and suggestions.

Yes, an electric kettle will certainly work. I even considered a small Microwave, but that got a little pricey.

I'm trying to KISS with the heating element. The one I have actually is grounded and UL approved.

If, I burn down my house I'll report back, but for the moment it works.

b/r

ON_1

I used to use one about 20 years ago. Actually several, because I burned out my share of them too. Today I just used cold water from the tap. Suits me just fine today.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Old Navy_1!
I've used immersion heaters in the past to warm up water baths for a lather bowl.
Works ok, just became a bit too much bother.
But enjoy if you like!

scuttle1.jpeg

I have an electric kettle with six different temperature settings. It will keep the water at the setting you choose for ten minutes or so by cycling the heating element. As a bonus, I get hot water for tea or coffee in the morning! It's the modern way!

You don't have to be that old to remember. Even now, most modern houses in the Philippines are built without a centralised hotwater supply. Rich(er) people had "instant" hotwater systems piped into there shower system.

In Cebu during the dry season (winter) the morning temperature can get down to the low 20s°C or even below. That is when I (actually my housemaid) would get out the portable electric water heater, about the size of a cup, and submerge it in a bucket of water for my morning ablutions.

Oh how I miss not having a live-in housemaid.
Oh yeah cold quick showers in the Philippines.

Top Bottom