What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

The Wald A1 is on the left, and is a 29mm fan. The G5D on the right is a 28mm fan. The G5D spreads far more so it looks bigger, but I think this still gives a good sense of the differences in fibre thickness and knot density.
This is really interesting since you were recommending the Blackland brush as being similar to the Wald fibre wise. I don't know why I am so shocked looking at this photo as I have the Blackland and a G5C, both smaller, and I could produce a similar photo. I was looking at Oumo handles last night(for a Sparrow), but man those things are pricey for an unknown new knot! It makes the Wald seem like a better deal considering it's actually hand tied. But I would really rather have something smaller than 29mm.

This is really interesting since you were recommending the Blackland brush as being similar to the Wald fibre wise. I don't know why I am so shocked looking at this photo as I have the Blackland and a G5C, both smaller, and I could produce a similar photo. I was looking at Oumo handles last night(for a Sparrow), but man those things are pricey for an unknown new knot! It makes the Wald seem like a better deal considering it's actually hand tied. But I would really rather have something smaller than 29mm.
The Sparrow claims to be hand-tied, and it's a good quality knot. The 27mm is small and I now wish I'd gone for the 29. Having said that, if I could afford it, Wald it would be.

The 29mm Wald A1 knot is equivalent to a 26mm badger knot in terms of the apparent size on your face, given that the badger knot blooms and spreads out. It’s a large-ish knot, but nothing like a 29mm badger would be.

The Blackland and every other synthetic brush will look the same as the G5D picture and completely different from the Wald. I can take photos tomorrow when it’s light, but don’t expect a Blackland knot and fibres to look anything like the Wald. This is really what I was trying to say in my original review, but actually the top-down photos show it more clearly than words. Other synthetics all feel extremely soft and have very fine fibres - until you feel the Wald knot. If you stroke the Wald knot and then go back to the Blackland or Mühle STF, or any other synthetic, their knots feel coarse in comparison.

I suppose the conclusion is that the Blackland or STF or G5 knots ARE soft and fine. And if that’s what you use they will feel extremely soft compared to a badger. But the Wald A1 is miles softer still - it’s a really big difference, as you can see in the photo.

The Sparrow claims to be hand-tied, and it's a good quality knot. The 27mm is small and I now wish I'd gone for the 29. Having said that, if I could afford it, Wald it would be.
The Oumo Sparrow knot does look similar to the Wald. Rudy Vey posted some pics of the Oumo on another site and it seems very close (that’s actually why I was taking these photos of my A1 knot). I’m waiting to hear more reports about the Oumo and whether it performs like the Wald in terms of splay, particularly. But visually I can’t tell much difference.

The Oumo Sparrow knot does look similar to the Wald. Rudy Vey posted some pics of the Oumo on another site and it seems very close (that’s actually why I was taking these photos of my A1 knot). I’m waiting to hear more reports about the Oumo and whether it performs like the Wald in terms of splay, particularly. But visually I can’t tell much difference.
The pictures of the Wald bulb look particularly scrumptious. Based on that alone I'd seriously consider getting the knot if offered separately -- this even after the OUMO didn't work out for me.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here are the four Sparrows I got.
2 x 27 mm and 2 x 29 mm, supposedly one each fan and bulb, although I do not see much of a shape difference, but I removed only the upper tie. One of each knot is a few mm shorter than the other. As a matter of fact, I measured them and the 27 mm need a 28.5 mm hole and the 29 mm a 30.5 mm in the handle. So I would not call them small.
If my hand permits, I will make a brush soon with one of them. The fibers feel very soft and the density is the densest I have seen in any synthetic.
IMG_2752.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I guess it's time for me to refuse to read this thread. <eg> :devil: evil grin.... I whittled my synths down to just a couple. My wife actually has claim on three of them. I've been using my SV 2.0 Manchurian badgers most of the time.

I guess it's time for me to refuse to read this thread. <eg> :devil: evil grin.... I whittled my synths down to just a couple. My wife actually has claim on three of them. I've been using my SV 2.0 Manchurian badgers most of the time.
It would teach your wife a lesson if she has taken your synthetic brushes and it causes you to buy a $250 synthetic to replace them. She’d think twice in future.

But you’re right. You should block this thread.

Chaps, I ended up ordering a Goldvein A1 bulb in the last drop and it arrived yesterday. I assume this means the rest of you who ordered this time should be getting yours soon. Anyone else get a shipping notice or receive their brush so far?

The goldvein colourway is really nice in person. The gold vein and the charcoal grey are not flat colours and it is an interesting pour when the light catches it in different ways. I think it might be my nicest one.

F704E1A9-970C-43DB-85E0-EA425A0D9726.jpeg

Chaps, I ended up ordering a Goldvein A1 bulb in the last drop and it arrived yesterday. I assume this means the rest of you who ordered this time should be getting yours soon. Anyone else get a shipping notice or receive their brush so far?

The goldvein colourway is really nice in person. The gold vein and the charcoal grey are not flat colours and it is an interesting pour when the light catches it in different ways. I think it might be my nicest one.

View attachment 1601860
Beautiful. I’ve got a Deep Sea on the way. It’s still in Germany according to the shipping website.

View attachment 1601860
PXL_20230207_134624930.PORTRAIT.jpg
Same here. Yesterday has arrived the Vintage Blue,today I have already put it on work and I must say I am totally impressed :dense,soft, backbone. For me,a perfect brush at a first sight

Top Bottom