What's new

More CCW questions from the noob to you old timers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was all set on a P365x that my friend was gonna hook me up with, but it’s taking time. I don’t want to hound him as he is asking it as a favor to his friend that owns a gun shop. I might just go get one on my own in the end, but what this wait time has done is allowed me to more throughly confuse myself with YouTube vids.

Ideally I want a hammer fired pistol, like the P30sk/P2000sk etc. with the LEM trigger. I figure it would give a new guy a little more leeway on safety as I could hold the hammer when reholstering. Those 2 aren’t optic ready so I would have to send it out for milling if I went with a RDS.

If not hammer fired then maybe move up from a micro9 to a sub compact.

My question for you IWB guys who have carried a bunch of different guns is this: it’s seems obvious a thinner gun will be more comfortable to carry, but between say a p320 and a P365 is the difference a lot? Mag capacity isn’t a concern as we are limited to 10 round mags here so the benefit of the larger gun would be for recoil, and the ability to get a hammer fired model. I don’t know if a 1911 variant would be a good first choice for a newbie like me with the cocked and locked thing, and the light trigger. I own a SA 1911 and did some shade tree gunsmithing in it so I have a feel for them and their internals. It’s purely a range bullseye toy that turned out pretty good, but I don’t trust sticking down my pants considering what I did to it lol.

Anyways I’m rambling…any insight?
Here's a good vid on the p320 from a guy who actually carries it, not just some reviewer:

so IMHO holster choice is huge decision also
This but I can't stand AIWB. 8 o'clock works better for me. More natural padding at the top of my hip than at my appendix area. No matter how long I tried appendix carry it never felt comfortable. I could not stop thinking about the barrel jammed in there where things are crowded anyway. :)

Full disclosure, I’m a fanboy and for other than perhaps a .22, or very large caliber pistol, I believe there’s no safer pistol than the 1911. It has 3 safeties, and the chance of accidental discharge are as close to zero as you can get.

However, whatever moves you, as they say.

This but I can't stand AIWB. 8 o'clock works better for me. More natural padding at the top of my hip than at my appendix area. No matter how long I tried appendix carry it never felt comfortable. I could not stop thinking about the barrel jammed in there where things are crowded anyway. :)
fair enough :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator

That "down the front" carry - whatever it's called - is the one I won't even consider.

You might survive an AD to the kidneys or innards but a shot down the front, you might not WANT to.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

No Way Cat GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

AA

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What are range prices on the mainland

Around here it averages about $20 an hour to bring your own ammo. Ammo prices are less than what you posted by about $5-$10 a box depending on what you’re buying.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a lot invested in reloading, but with the closing of our municipal range I have nowhere to shoot it. A situation that is mildly comical to me.

I bought a 365 back at the beginning of the pandemic. Went into a gunshop looking, and never having seen one liked it and walked out with it, It had a manual safety, which I like, having long time familiarity with the Browning Hi Power and various 1911 types. At that point I had been carrying a P 938, a smaller micro 1911 type, which if you really want a hammer gun I think is excellent. I see one drawback, the area over the hammer sear engagement when cocked seems to be a dust and lint magnet, I pocket carry it because of it's smaller size.
I played with the 365, eventually getting an xl grip, slide and barrel, after all they are fun to play with. I carry it in an inside the waistband tuckable holster, and find it stays cleaner much longer than the 938, Either are easy to conceal, the slightly larger grip seems to make accuracy with it better and honestly my striker fire 365 has a better trigger pull than the single action 938, go figure.

Personally for concealed carry I would go striker fired simply because of the more enclosed mechanism staying cleaner much longer when not used.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was carrying my G43X with a TLR-6 laser/ light combo just today appendix and wasn’t worried in the slightest bit for my femoral artery or the baby maker.

As long as the trigger and trigger guard are covered, the Glock not only isn’t going to fire, it can’t fire because there is a small falling block that sits in the firing channel and prevents the firing pin from making contact with the cartridges primer by blocking it.

The only way it can fire, is to completely pull the pistol from its holster, put my finger on the trigger and pull it all the way back, completely to the rear, lifting the block out of the way, finish cocking the firing pin and firing the shot.

When my finger releases the trigger after the shot? The falling block automatically drops back into the firing pin channel and the firing pin leaves full c0ck returning to its normal resting place at half c0ck.

My Glock does this all by itself. It doesn’t need a thumb safety, where human error, forgetfulness and inefficiency has a chance to screw it all up. Even human error and your trigger finger can’t screw up while it’s sitting in a holster covering the trigger guard. I have never witnessed the ability for it to fire while covered and resting in a holster.

I trust the genius simplicity of it’s design and I trust what I have trained my trigger finger to do; and not do. YMMV. :)

92BA6128-22C3-4B5A-A89E-8B463F644294.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was carrying my G43X with a TLR-6 laser/ light combo just today appendix and wasn’t worried in the slightest bit for my femoral artery or the baby maker.

As long as the trigger and trigger guard are covered, the Glock not only isn’t going to fire, it can’t fire because there is a small falling block that sits in the firing channel and prevents the firing pin from making contact with the cartridges primer by blocking it.

The only way it can fire, is to completely pull the pistol from its holster, put my finger on the trigger and pull it all the way back, completely to the rear, lifting the block out of the way, finish cocking the firing pin and firing the shot.

When my finger releases the trigger after the shot? The falling block automatically drops back into the firing pin channel and the firing pin leaves full c0ck returning to its normal resting place at half c0ck.

My Glock does this all by itself. It doesn’t need a thumb safety, where human error, forgetfulness and inefficiency has a chance to screw it all up. Even human error and your trigger finger can’t screw up while it’s sitting in a holster covering the trigger guard. I have never witnessed the ability for it to fire while covered and resting in a holster.

I trust the genius simplicity of it’s design and I trust what I have trained my trigger finger to do; and not do. YMMV. :)

View attachment 1586581
Back when I had a hammer pistol (HK USP45) I never messed with the safety. I did practice pulling the hammer back when drawing- became second nature. 1911 purists may laugh at me, but I don’t trust c0ck and locked on any pistol.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Back when I had a hammer pistol (HK USP45) I never messed with the safety. I did practice pulling the hammer back when drawing- became second nature. 1911 purists may laugh at me, but I don’t trust c0ck and locked on any pistol.
Of course my first pistol was a replica of the Colt Navy in .44Magnum- I was used to hammer work.

• Love
Reactions: ctr
A friend went. Shot a box of 9mm, grand total 65.00. We have to shoot their ammo,

What are range prices on the mainland?
View attachment 1585572

I have a lot invested in reloading, but with the closing of our municipal range I have nowhere to shoot it. A situation that is mildly comical to me.

I joined a 'Gun Club' the dues are 300 a year, for both my wife & I, but I can shoot as long and often as I want. I can shoot my hand loads and bring a guest for $10 all day. My club also has rifle range (up to 200 yards) computer clay range, steel silloetes and a cowboy shooting town. The local indoor ranges in central FL average $20/ hour but no handloads. Factory ammo has come down quite a bit lately. I have recently bought 22LR for $80/1000 and saw an ad for 12.98 for 50 rounds of 9mm. Loading supplies have improved lately. I have been able to get powder and bullets fairly reasonably. Primers are still hard to get and crazy expensive. I have saved some factory ammo boxes to put my hand loads in for the ranges that prohibit handloads. I hate to be deceptive, but my rounds are just as safe and much more accurate than most factory loads. I'm quite sure the no hand loads rule boosts ammo sales. I went to a range when I first got here that said my ammo was no good and forced me to buy their ammo. Handed it to me in a ziplock bag, so I'm sure it was factory loaded. SMH

CCW and holsters, the eternal dilemma. 😉. I’ve gone through so many gun and holster combos all these years, thank goodness I’ve bought quality and those not needed … sold fast and held value. Gotta find one or two or three that work well. My 1911 CCO in Milt Sparks IWB and OWB works for me well. The Sig P365 in a Tulster Kydex IWB REALLY WORKS FOR ME! Thin, light, comfortable, that’s what I look for and finally found. OP… it’s a matter of experimentation, patience and sometimes fortunate luck. I feel naked without the Sig on my belt. I think… after all these years… I’m ‘somewhat’ content. Carry what works for you.

OkieStubble

CCW and holsters, the eternal dilemma. 😉. I’ve gone through so many gun and holster combos all these years, thank goodness I’ve bought quality and those not needed … sold fast and held value. Gotta find one or two or three that work well. My 1911 CCO in Milt Sparks IWB and OWB works for me well. The Sig P365 in a Tulster Kydex IWB REALLY WORKS FOR ME! Thin, light, comfortable, that’s what I look for and finally found. OP… it’s a matter of experimentation, patience and sometimes fortunate luck. I feel naked without the Sig on my belt. I think… after all these years… I’m ‘somewhat’ content. Carry what works for you.

Excellent post!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So the p365x is sold out everywhere on my island, and most FFL’s charge 75.00 for transfer fees. I’m on a waiting list for now. Held a 43x today and it felt mighty nice. SW has a rebate on the Shield Plus that brings is down to around 430 clams(!?). The research continues…

OkieStubble

So the p365x is sold out everywhere on my island, and most FFL’s charge 75.00 for transfer fees. I’m on a waiting list for now. Held a 43x today and it felt mighty nice. SW has a rebate on the Shield Plus that brings is down to around 430 clams(!?). The research continues…

I absolutely love my G43X. I have one of the first ones made. So it isn’t MOS milled for a red dot, but if you choose a G43X? Yours will. :)

While my G43X is very accurate, because it is a first model, it has Polygonal rifling and isn’t a match grade barrel. If you choose a G43X, yours will have Glock’s new ‘Marksman’ barrel which is a match grade barrel. :) I didn’t think there would be much difference between the two until Ingot a chance to shoot it, now I’m looking to have one installed in mine.

When my G43X was purchased, the older models had a horrible 8 pound trigger pull. I sent it back to Glock several times complaining that they fix it. They couldn’t fix it after two trips back.

I finally, took it upon myself to take it apart and do a complete .25 cent trigger job(polished internals) and dropped in an aftermarket ‘Ghost’ connector, which got it down to about 4.8 pounds of pull. I then sent pictures of me doing this to Glock in an email and told them, it’s false advertising to put 5.5 pounds of trigger pull on the box of every Glock they sell, just for the trigger to pull at 8 pounds.

While I’m sure, Glock isn’t going to give me the credit for it, 2 months later, they redesigned their own OEM connector and sent out free ones to every G43X owner. Now my trigger pull is an excellent 4.8 pounds before the very clean break.

If you choose a G43X, yours will already have this new connector and will already have a great trigger. Yours will also have forward slide rails and a front rail for your selection of a light. First G43X’s didn’t have this.

In saying all of this, you really can’t go wrong by choosing the Sig or the S&W M&P Shield. But you get one thing with the Glock that you can’t get with any other pistol.

The word ‘Utter’.

Utter reliability, utter durability, utter indestructibility and utter accuracy. All in a light, compact, no sharp edges with the smoothest carry profile on the market. It’s simplicity of design is utter genius along with Glocks famous finish which makes it utterly impervious to sweat or moisture. Hell, you can shoot it under water! :)

Glock also has, utterly; the largest and best aftermarket support for parts and accessories then any other pistol in history. And yes, that includes John Moses Browning’s, 1911. Between Glocks consistent history and earned reputation of greatness, their motto rings true.

Glock Perfection. :)

:popc:

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I absolutely love my G43X. I have one of the first ones made. So it isn’t MOS milled for a red dot, but if you choose a G43X? Yours will. :)

While my G43X is very accurate, because it is a first model, it has Polygonal rifling and isn’t a match grade barrel. If you choose a G43X, yours will have Glock’s new ‘Marksman’ barrel which is a match grade barrel. :) I didn’t think there would be much difference between the two until Ingot a chance to shoot it, now I’m looking to have one installed in mine.

When my G43X was purchased, the older models had a horrible 8 pound trigger pull. I sent it back to Glock several times complaining that they fix it. They couldn’t fix it after two trips back.

I finally, took it upon myself to take it apart and do a complete .25 cent trigger job(polished internals) and dropped in an aftermarket ‘Ghost’ connector, which got it down to about 4.8 pounds of pull. I then sent pictures of me doing this to Glock in an email and told them, it’s false advertising to put 5.5 pounds of trigger pull on the box of every Glock they sell, just for the trigger to pull at 8 pounds.

While I’m sure, Glock isn’t going to give me the credit for it, 2 months later, they redesigned their own OEM connector and sent out free ones to every G43X owner. Now my trigger pull is an excellent 4.8 pounds before the very clean break.

If you choose a G43X, yours will already have this new connector and will already have a great trigger. Yours will also have forward slide rails and a front rail for your selection of a light. First G43X’s didn’t have this.

In saying all of this, you really can’t go wrong by choosing the Sig or the S&W M&P Shield. But you get one thing with the Glock that you can’t get with any other pistol.

The word ‘Utter’.

Utter reliability, utter durability, utter indestructibility and utter accuracy. All in a light, compact, no sharp edges with the smoothest carry profile on the market. It’s simplicity of design is utter genius along with Glocks famous finish which makes it utterly impervious to sweat or moisture. Hell, you can shoot it under water! :)

Glock also has, utterly; the largest and best aftermarket support for parts and accessories then any other pistol in history. And yes, that includes John Moses Browning’s, 1911. :)

fanboy mega fan GIF by Nashville on CMT

😂😀😂😀

Glocks are great pistols, they just don’t point naturally for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom