What's new

TSA safety razor carry-on ban

Find me a TSA rule that was overturned because a group of ticked off citizens gathered their torches and said NO, WE WILL NOT DO THAT! The TSA isn’t one of those agencies that succumb to angry customers.
While this post was FYI, and not to whine about TSA policy or practice, I will say that TSA is particularly motivated by angry citizens. We could be flying with zero carry-ons in a TSA-issued transparent unitard and slippers. Every concession TSA makes for our convenience increases our risk. The people with torches say what they will and won't tolerate, and this changes constantly. Every adjustment TSA makes is a result of this, ratcheting up security after a well publicized incident and selectively relaxing the reactive restrictions over time in response to public anger or annoyance.

Yes, it does seem the periodically TSA adjusts based on complaints, although I wonder if this is due to pressure and/or recommendations from the airlines rather than directly from citizens (I may be wrong, of course). Due to the small percentage of people that use DE razors, I suspect that unbladed DE razors will continue to raise flags with ignorant TSA agents for the foreseeable future. I would guess that unless the TSA provides at least a year's worth of training to agents and really hammers home the point that unbladed DE razors should be allowed, this problem will likely continue for the reasons already pointed out in this thread. As others have said: Pack a DE razor (without blades) in your carry-on at your own risk.

I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
Thanks for the heads up, i will be travelling soon.....

If I’m not checking a bag I won’t take anything but a disposable with me and sample size soaps or an inarguably solid shave stick. Not worth the hassle

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
Good to know, thank you.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very good to know. I enjoy these threads although I agree there is some complaints and negativity but imagine having a treasured de taken for the trash. Wow 😯
My last trip in December I ended up having a checked bag for other reasons so had a way to take a de. But the subjectivity is frustrating. Example: my departing tsa demanded that all electronics be removed from checked bags and placed in a separate bin. This hung me up because I had a stuffed backpack and had to wrestle the iPad and kindle out and then had to scramble for additional bins just for them. In the end was no big deal but I got frazzled with the belt and shoes etc and multiple bins and the crowded line.

contrast this with my return flight. Tsa there yelled at me as I was wiggling the iPad out. I had it 1/4 of the way out when I heard “keep everything in the bag”. Ok! Yes sir. (Thanks) So I pushed it in and went on my way 2 bins simple. Much easier right through no problems but same tsa of course. But different rules. Make sense. Lol.

Happy trails!

@Rhody your experiences are a good example of the inconsistency of how the rules get applied and the seemingly fickle subjectivity of the TSA agents. I am not implying incompetence as I assume most of them are just trying to do their jobs. I'm just saying there is a lot of variability, and due to the power imbalance, I agree it's best not to tempt fate.

@Rhody your experiences are a good example of the inconsistency of how the rules get applied and the seemingly fickle subjectivity of the TSA agents. I am not implying incompetence as I assume most of them are just trying to do their jobs. I'm just saying there is a lot of variability, and due to the power imbalance, I agree it's best not to tempt fate.

+1! All you can do is grin and bear it! :sob::sob:

Words cannot express how much I hate flying anymore. This is a perfect example of the kind of ridiculousness that has sucked all the joy out of something that used to be enjoyable.
That is why I drive to most places these days. East Texas to Fort Collins, CO to Rollag, MN to central Ohio back to East Texas last year!

I found flying generally is not faster and it is definitely more expensive and more frustrating even before COVID! With the trip to the airport, various airport checks, and pre-arrival time spent in the waiting areas is a real-time suck. Then there are delays loading the airplane, time spent waiting for a take-off slot, time waiting to land, and time spent waiting for a gate to open up at your destination. Then there is baggage claim and the car rental time sink! Driving I get to spend the night in a better hotel that costs less without airport noise in a more relaxed area.

I am so glad the CEO and I have not flown since October (then not on SouthWest).
I had no problems with my disassembled DE going through TSA either way.
Next chance April.😃
I sent blades to the Vegas hotel we stayed at. Thankfully Walgreens had Gillettes.

That is why I drive to most places these days. East Texas to Fort Collins, CO to Rollag, MN to central Ohio back to East Texas last year!

I found flying generally is not faster and it is definitely more expensive and more frustrating even before COVID! With the trip to the airport, various airport checks, and pre-arrival time spent in the waiting areas is a real-time suck. Then there are delays loading the airplane, time spent waiting for a take-off slot, time waiting to land, and time spent waiting for a gate to open up at your destination. Then there is baggage claim and the car rental time sink! Driving I get to spend the night in a better hotel that costs less without airport noise in a more relaxed area.
I hear that more and more from people. I've been flying since I was a little kid in the late 1950's and loved it until after 9/11 and the ridiculous rules and regulations. Then, on top of that, being packed into a metal tube with nasty, rude people isn't appealing either.

I hear that more and more from people. I've been flying since I was a little kid in the late 1950's and loved it until after 9/11 and the ridiculous rules and regulations. Then, on top of that, being packed into a metal tube with nasty, rude people isn't appealing either.
Tighter seat pitches and being nickeled and dimed along with lowering prices to let people of modest means with unrealistic expectations fly really made air travel for me really unpleasant pre-COVID. A few years earlier, people seemed to be friendlier and more accommodating to their fellow travelers but, as time went on it really became a generally unpleasant experience for me except for those rare occasions with another seasoned traveler next to me.

Unrestrained unruly children without a ticket who could do no wrong according to their parents were really a final straw for me personally. When COVID masking showed up, let's just say I was not surprised to see fistfights over truly trivial stuff. Why the FAA allows children to sit in their parent's lap without paying for airfare was totally dumbfounding to me. Of course, they won't sit there for the entire flight so crawling on and over me or stretching out over my lap so I can't lower my table tray and similar stuff was way too much for me personally.

Business class to Europe and the MidEast generally was pretty good overall but, travel rules changed and that was no longer an option, and that was the last time I flew for business reasons; they just don't pay enough for that type of trip. Today, I won't fly anywhere, period. I hope that changes in a few years post-COVID because I would like to see the Pacific Rim, Asia, and the Far East before I get too old to travel or die for whatever reason the Lord has planned for me.

I’m not a fan of how inconsistent the TSA is. Flew from Punta Gorda Florida to Lexington Kentucky a couple years ago and didn’t have a problem going through security at Punta Gorda with a disassembled DE. Coming back from Lexington the same razor did. Fortunately the supervisor that got called over to check it out was a collector so everything worked out in the end

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents - whine about the TSA and spread the word about possible problems to your friends here and elsewhere...

BUT

We are not a platform for Social Issues.
If you feel a strong need to discuss your personal opinions about the willingness to labor for a better life, or the social injustice of government for or against any particular group or collective...

Then do it somewhere else.
Don't do it here.
No one wants to read your soap box manifesto here.

Get it?

yeah_that.gif

I just enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a team of bored TSA agents. They shared that we public have outraged enough and they now DO allow unbladed DE razors nationwide. They are not allowed to remove blades so if you forget and leave a blade in….you will have to leave the line to dispose. These folks seemed sharp so I’ll try this out next time I fly. Great luck everyone, a vacation without a successful daily shave is a horrific thought lol.

Cheers!

I just enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a team of bored TSA agents. They shared that we public have outraged enough and they now DO allow unbladed DE razors nationwide.
This is highly dependent on individual TSA agents; they have wide latitude to dictate what is allowable. Hopefully this irrational fear of unbladed razors dies down at some point, but in the meantime I am not going to take them in carry on luggage.

Top Bottom