What's new

Do you select your soaps/pre-shaves/aftershaves depending of the season?

Hey gents,

I'm curious if you choose the soaps/preshaves/aftershaves depending of the season.
Which soap/pre-shave/aftershave your select for which season?
What are your criteria for this?

Eagerly waiting to read your answers 🍻

Short answer - no. I only have two aftershaves and one EDT. I use my soaps throughout.

Now having said that, I did a test of the major soaps of The Goodfellas Smile and I did discover that certain smells that could not excite nee in the summer (when I did my shaves) work better during winter - for some odd reason. Furiah comes to mind and Inferno.

Guido

Short answer - no. I only have two aftershaves and one EDT. I use my soaps throughout.

Now having said that, I did a test of the major soaps of The Goodfellas Smile and I did discover that certain smells that could not excite nee in the summer (when I did my shaves) work better during winter - for some odd reason. Furiah comes to mind and Inferno.

Guido

I typically choose my fragrances depending of the season - some scents suit better for spring/summer, others for autumn/winter. Usually lighter vs. heavier, floral vs. wood.
With my little experience with shaving soaps, I come to the feel that I would prefer menthol for the spring/summer, and if the day is hot, and sandalwood for autumn/winter. But it bugs me when the soap is menthol with eucalyptus (Proraso Green like) :letterk1:

Maybe, I'm investing too much thought in this :001_unsur

The simple answer is pick an artisan soap/AS that is a known dupe and go to Fragrantica and look it up. They have a rating for what weather they are meant for, it's not an absolute, but at least with fragrances there is sometimes a good reason. With shaving soaps and AS, ask yourself: do I want to smell like Spice Bomb in July? Do you know what the heat will do to those fragrance components? If the answer is yes and I don't care then confidently wear Spice Bomb in July. If the answer is, I am not sure then start looking at several fragrances and figure out what generally defines a warm weather and a cold weather fragrance.

For me, I have way too much of everything that I have to rotate based on season just to use everything. Sometimes it's like a new discovery when you smell something that you haven't used in 6 months. Sometimes, you screw the lid back on and put it on the do not re-stock list. Then depending on where you are, you might have Spring in the middle of Winter for several weeks and you start questioning what you are doing and what should you do? But you can always where Acqua di Parma in winter and dream of Summer.

Yes, kind of. I sort my soaps/creams into three group. My warm weather group tends toward citrusy scents and products with menthol / eucalyptus - examples are Castle Forbes Lime and Proraso Green. My cold weather group has more earthy scent profiles - example PDP No 63. The third group are scents I would use year round - examples Sandalwood and Arch Brito Mogno.

I also use a heavier aftershave balm in the cold months and a thinner one in the warm weather. I have dry skin on my face and the Cremo Heritage AS Balm has worked really well for me this winter. The scent is pleasant but rather neutral so it doesn't clash with AS splashes or colognes.

No, not really, I'm not into that but I do think Tabac always goes well in the dead of winter. And there are some aftershaves that I enjoy more in the sprintime, Proraso green comes to mind.

Good question @stivek !
This is basically me, too. Tabac in Winter and a menthol/Eucalyptus soap in warmer weather. MWF I use year-round. The majority of my soaps are unscented, though, so it really doesn't matter much with them. ;)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Soaps:

Winter: Haslinger Schafmilch
Spring: La Toja
Summer: Proraso
Fall: L’Occitane Cade

Bootlegger’s AS:

Winter: EL Dorado, Original Bay Rum, Perfecto Maduro

Spring: Lime Bay Rum, Perfecto Virginia & Maduro

Summer: Green Freeze, Artic Lime Blast, Perfecto Virginia, Lime Bay Rum

Fall: Original Bay Rum, Perfecto Maduro & Virginia, EL Dorado

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Soaps:

Winter: Haslinger Schafmilch
Spring: La Toja
Summer: Proraso
Fall: L’Occitane Cade

Bootlegger’s AS:

Winter: EL Dorado, Original Bay Rum, Perfecto Maduro

Spring: Lime Bay Rum, Perfecto Virginia & Maduro

Summer: Green Freeze, Artic Lime Blast, Perfecto Virginia, Lime Bay Rum

Fall: Original Bay Rum, Perfecto Maduro & Virginia, EL Dorado
You know I love Green Freeze anytime. 😁

If I lived somewhere that had more than two seasons I might. But as I live in southwest Florida I don’t really see the point

Despite all the great soaps available on-line, I have become a fan of the Noble Otter soaps, which are available at a nearby Central Market store in Plano, Texas.

Not me. I just pick whatever scent I feel like using on the day. Don’t care what time of year it is, and I don’t find that my tastes change depending on the weather.

Right now I’m wearing a light, floral, herbal scent and it’s very dark and grey outside, soaking wet, and starting to snow. This scent is improving my mood on a rather grim day. Gucci Mémoire d’Une Odeur, if you’re curious.

To a limited extent. I avoid alcohol based aftershaves in winter when it is very dry indoors. No Clubman until spring.

Top Bottom