What's new

Newbie to CCW - Opinions on Taurus GX4

Hey, guys. I'm completely new to CCW. I'm taking my class next week and will borrow a gun for it. I've been around firearms all of my life, but not pistols as much. In doing some research on CCW pistols, there are 3 9mms that seem to keep coming up - the Sig P365, the Springfield Hellcat, and the Taurus GX4. (The Glock 43 is also mentioned, but these beat it in capacity.). The Taurus is a newer gun, but it seems to get rave reviews. Any thoughts?

(One other question if I can slip it in. Are the Palmetto State Armory-branded guns of good quality? I'm not trying to be cheap. Just wondering if anybody has an opinion.). Thanks.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey, guys. I'm completely new to CCW. I'm taking my class next week and will borrow a gun for it. I've been around firearms all of my life, but not pistols as much. In doing some research on CCW pistols, there are 3 9mms that seem to keep coming up - the Sig P365, the Springfield Hellcat, and the Taurus GX4. (The Glock 43 is also mentioned, but these beat it in capacity.). The Taurus is a newer gun, but it seems to get rave reviews. Any thoughts?

(One other question if I can slip it in. Are the Palmetto State Armory-branded guns of good quality? I'm not trying to be cheap. Just wondering if anybody has an opinion.). Thanks.
G43X come with a 10 round mag- grip is longer than the 43. Someone makes a steel mag that holds 15 in the same space, but I feel 21 (two mags, one in the pipe) is enough.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

Is there a range around you that rents pistols? I’d try to shoot rack of those 3 and the Glock before you made your decision.

I know more than one person, myself included, that has purchased a pistol based on reviews only to find that it doesn’t fit their well or the sights just don’t line up naturally when bringing the gun up.

Is there a range around you that rents pistols? I’d try to shoot rack of those 3 and the Glock before you made your decision.

I know more than one person, myself included, that has purchased a pistol based on reviews only to find that it doesn’t fit their well or the sights just don’t line up naturally when bringing the gun up.

Fondle, fondle, fondle.

Find a local range and see how many different handguns you can actually shoot before you buy. Often the folk at the range can get you with a half dozen folk who would be happy to let you try different handguns.
I'd love to that, but there isn't a gun range close. That being said, I know a lot of guys who have pistols. I'll ask around.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Echoing what the others have said, try to get your hands on as many handguns as possible. Even if you can't shoot them, how they feel in the hand might make or break what CCW you eventually decide on getting.

Also, take your time, if necessary. I imagine you'll be eager to, but just because you finish your class does not mean you have to start carrying that night. Once you do get it, practice as much as productivity possible. Do plenty of slow, dry fire exercises at home. If you don't have anyone to help you in person, watch a number of videos on basic pistol handling & dry fire exercises. Make sure to find a place to be able to live fire, and put your new handgun through its paces as well. Even reputable manufacturers can mess something up every once in a while. It's good to know that your particular firearm is in proper working condition and void of defects.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I will echo the excellent advice of what other members have posted.

I can say, I owned an original P365 for a year with about 2,500 rounds thru it before I sold it. Great pistol for the most part in every way, reliable accurate, small light and handy.

But I had a small problem with the mag sticking to the bottom of my hand when I wanted it to drop free on a speed reload. The only thing I didn’t like about it, so I went Glock 43X instead and have been quite satisfied.

However, there are several others who don’t have that problem and admittedly, I have Glock Fan Boy Disease.
I’m saying this, if I could go back in time and Sig had their other models of 365 available?

Like the XL or the newer P365X? I think the P365X with the smaller slide and barrel of the original 365, but combined with the bit longer grip frame of the 365 XL?

I bet I had the opportunity to of had that then? I wouldn’t own. G43X. :)

The Springfield Hellcat is a lot like the Original Sig P365, too small of a grip. However, they now have several models of frame lengths and sizes to choose from.

I have done quite a bit of reading and research on PSA’s Glock clones. :) they haven’t been out long enough to get a good assessment on quality or reliability and accuracy, but from what I can tell, they get the same mixed reviews their AR’s get.

While no one says any bad reviews, there are great reviews and just as many reviews that say they’re just ‘meh’.

But in saying all of this, it really does go back to the great advice everyone else has already said; ya gotta get your hands on as many as you can before you purchase anything and find out your personal likes and preferences.

What’s the saying? One in the hand is better then two in the bush? :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here at my hillbilly gun range I only OWN revolvers, but have been able to shoot so many 9mm semiautomatic pistoles. MANY. Of all of them, the one that impressed me the most, AND MY LOVELY BRIDE, was the Canik? I think that was the name. Someone here will come up with the right name. FOR ME it just fit my hand perfectly, right or left, recoil was a non issue, I was able to get back on target quick, no problem racking the slide.... I was just amazed, actually.

Being a revolver guy my advice is probably werth every penny you are payin' for it, but I just could ring the steel targets with that thing from the first few rounds. Glock, S&W, Ruger, etc.....none of them were as nice to me as that cheap import from Turkey, I believe it is.....

I don't believe it's a coincidence that I love Arko either!..... Just my two pennies werth my friend.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As to the Taurus: have never even held one. I've HEARD that their reputation is gaining traction.

I have to admit something that may make a few of you petition the NRA to have my Life Membership revoked: when that gun called the "Curve" first came out I was THIS CLOSE to buying one.

For some reason it just had me enamored!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As to the Taurus: have never even held one. I've HEARD that their reputation is gaining traction.

I have to admit something that may make a few of you petition the NRA to have my Life Membership revoked: when that gun called the "Curve" first came out I was THIS CLOSE to buying one.

For some reason it just had me enamored!
In their first few years, Taurus was junk. They’ve stepped their game up and really improved QC. I wouldn’t reject them out of hand now.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was actually kicked off of a FB gun enthusiast page because I gave a positive review of my Taurus 9mm. Crazy...

My brother has the Taurus G3C and loves it! Great little affordable pistol. Taurus also has their unlimited lifetime warranty. Any other gun makers offer a unlimited lifetime warranty? :)

Top Bottom