What's new

Better stands and cases?

What are the better stands and cases for DE safety razors? Most of my cardboard boxes are pretty much nearing their end of life so, I wondered about a small fishing tackle case possibly for those used less often. Or, maybe a hard case similar to a "Pelican" with pick-n-pull foam so I can just drop them handle down and then seal out the moisture, dust, etc. from long-term storage.

I would like a good DE safety razor stand that doesn't break the bank for a razor or two and, a better quality crush-resistant case for something in a suitcase or soft travel bag. Or, am I best off getting a small router and trying to 'carve' a case and add a couple of pins or dowels that I can secure closed for general protection?

I should also note that I ordered a Gilette WWII knockoff case as a travel option in my airport carry-on bag so, I think that option is covered for the moment while I consider better longer-term storage options. What I don't have is a good stand that will keep my razor head 'up' so it will stay dry and be ready for the next shave.

So, for a long-term storage case:
  • Fishing tackle box?
  • Pelican-style hard case?
  • What else?
For a better quality razor stand:
  • What?
  • Where?
  • At what cost?
And travel hard cases for soft bags and air travel checked bags:
  • Custom milled-out wood options?
  • Some sort of travel-specific plastic travel case?
  • Something else?

Mine just sit on a shelf inside of a cabinet, but if I were to put them in some kind of case, I've always thought that a Pelican case would be a great way to go.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to display my razors because once "out of sight out of mind" they are forgotten, so I made these simple stands as my razor collection grew and was looking for something to hold them and some razors have different shaped handles so these tuck in the cupboard nicely also and most of my vintage razors did not come with cases so these simple practical stands worked out very well.
Not the most pleasant to look at but they worked until something better comes along possibly.
As for razor cases I just these Pelican style cases for shipping and storage and they work well IMO.
(Old archived photo's)
Ron's razor collection 2022 of 41 rotation..jpg

20180511_075013_crop_696x894.jpg

Pelican style cases work well for razors with no cases for both vintage and modern versions.

Pelican style razor case 4.jpg

While on different stands these guitar wall stands and spice racks work well also for brushes if looking for ideas. The guitar wall adjustable stands have worked out very well for my shaving needs and I'm very happy because they hold different handle sizes also as my collection grew:001_rolle.
Brush collage of new brush and razor holder..jpg
Brush dispaly of holding my brushes Aug 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Funny this would come up.

I was at Walmart and found these plastic storage boxes for under 3 bucks apiece. Each box will easily fit nine razors, and I'm all in for under $6. Not "the best" but a great solution and better than cardboard.

These are my lesser used razors and backups. One for (primarily) vintage 3-piece Gillette razors, one for Techs, and one for vintage Gillette TTOs...and I can stack em up in a drawer.

20230124_175604.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I was at Walmart and found these plastic storage boxes for under 3 bucks apiece. Each box will easily fit nine razors, and I'm all in for under $6. Not "the best" but a great solution and better than cardboard.

These are my lesser used razors and backups. One for (primarily) vintage 3-piece Gillette razors, one for Techs, and one for vintage Gillette TTOs...and I can stack em up in a drawer.

View attachment 1593758
Very nice!

View attachment 1593758
They look great. Can you sha a link or name, please?

I like the recycle-reuse-reduce theme some of these stands utilize. It is fun to create. My LEGO stand design can easily be expanded to hold more brushes and razors. I have plenty of extra parts to even create a standalone razor one and dedicate this one to just brushes. I do have a new brush inbound.

IMG_7254.jpg

View attachment 1593758

I made a mistake in my post. Should say "for under $9".

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was in the ReStore locally and found a 2-drawer cabinet to hold 5x7 cards. It holds all my razors, extra blades, shavettes, travel cases, spare bits, etc. I'm dreading the day when I finally get more than I can fit in there. It's kind of a self-imposed limit. :)

I have two stands. One is a welded wire stand that I bought as part of my first kit: Merkur 38C, "Ice Pure" badger brush, Merkur blades and a puck of Colonel Conk. It's also the only thing left from my beginner kit; I never use it but darnit I paid good money for it so I'm not willing to toss it out just yet. Seriously not worth even piffing to someone. Oh...I still have the brush but haven't used it in years. I prefer boars.

The other stand is a dedicated stand for my RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant Version 4. Frankly, I never use stands for razors since I take them all apart for rinsing and drying, and leave them spread out on a washcloth by the sink in the Lather Pit. But it came with the (used) razor so I keep it in the little plastic container that holds the rest of the razor in my little cabinet.

I don't have shelves on the walls to display all my stuff. I literally have to lean to the right to shave the left without hitting my elbow on the wall, and "vyzee-verzee" as the old guys used to say. That's put more than one nick in my scalp when using a shavette.

But I like looking at well-set-up dens, so keep 'em comin'.

O.H.

View attachment 1593758

That looks like the fishing tackle boxes I was considering!

I bought them in a Walmart store, for a buck less than these (pretty sure it is the same box, you can configure the compartments by moving the dividers):

Boxes

Thanks @gpjoe! I had some like that from amazon, but they no longer carry them. I am able to store razors in a very compact way using this. I'm going to grab some of these for my growing collection. They are even cheaper. Thanks!

Thanks @gpjoe! I had some like that from amazon, but they no longer carry them. I am able to store razors in a very compact way using this. I'm going to grab some of these for my growing collection. They are even cheaper. Thanks!

Happy to help. I just stumbled upon these while grocery shopping and couldn't resist for 3 bucks each. They work perfectly for me.

Top Bottom