What's new

Who Knows Anything About the Origins of Nacet?

I was under the impression that NACET was from Gillette. But I never heard of them until I joined this forum. So far I have tried feather, Van Haagen, Rockwell, and Murker since joining. Are the NACET really a superior blade? Can they really cut alligators, elephants, crocodiles and bears and things?

Can they really cut alligators, elephants, crocodiles and bears and things?
Yes, they can!
The discontinued Platinum can even cut two crocodiles. :c1:

nacet platinum.jpg

Nacet has become one of the highest rated safety razor blades and has many followers these days, but who knows anything about the history of this brand?

Most of you may know that Nacet blades are now made in Russia by Petersburg Products International.
But unlike with Astra blades, where the Czechoslovakian roots are common knowledge, who knows anything about the origin of Nacet blades?

All I could find were images of Nacet blade packaging that indicated that the blades were ”Made in…” the U.K., France and Germany.
So that is a pretty large area without any clear indication of the roots of this brand.

Certainly not a life-and-death question, but it still piqued my interest.

Anyone?

B.
Nacet has become one of the highest rated safety razor blades and has many followers these days, but who knows anything about the history of this brand?

Most of you may know that Nacet blades are now made in Russia by Petersburg Products International.
But unlike with Astra blades, where the Czechoslovakian roots are common knowledge, who knows anything about the origin of Nacet blades?

All I could find were images of Nacet blade packaging that indicated that the blades were ”Made in…” the U.K., France and Germany.
So that is a pretty large area without any clear indication of the roots of this brand.

Certainly not a life-and-death question, but it still piqued my interest.

Anyone?

B.
I know you posted a year ago so you might not be interested anymore, but my father was in charge of Africa for Gilette in the 60s and 70s and they set up the operations that sold Nacet blades. Zaire was a big territory and I think that’s where the classic crocodile being sliced in half ad was first used, many were also smuggled into Egypt via Libya as at the time foreign imports of blades were illegal in Egypt, but its clear the Egyptians favoured these to their local options. I’m working through various stories my father (who passed away earlier this year) wrote on the subject and I found your post because I was looking to see if any of the original Nacet print ads might be around to buy. It may be that these blades were manufactured out of the South African Gilette factory rather than the UK. If you’re still looking for knowledge let me know because like I said I’m working through dads stories and there’s some amazingly candid info in there.

If you’re still looking for knowledge let me know because like I said I’m working through dads stories and there’s some amazingly candid info in there.

Thank you, I appreciate that information.

I am interested in the brand, because I am sure that many shavers associate Nacet with Russia, which is not where the brand originated AFAIK.

B.

I feel like I must be missing something, because now I'm wondering what "nacet" means. I assumed it was Czech or slavic in origin (Google Translate suggests it means "start" in Czech, and it feels slavic to me given some experience with Russian language), but this thread suggests it has its origins elsewhere? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I feel like I must be missing something, because now I'm wondering what "nacet" means. I assumed it was Czech or slavic in origin (Google Translate suggests it means "start" in Czech, and it feels slavic to me given some experience with Russian language), but this thread suggests it has its origins elsewhere? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I believe many are under that impression, but the oldest images of Nacets that I found suggest they were made for the French, UK and possibly German markets.

B.

I know you posted a year ago so you might not be interested anymore, but my father was in charge of Africa for Gilette in the 60s and 70s and they set up the operations that sold Nacet blades. Zaire was a big territory and I think that’s where the classic crocodile being sliced in half ad was first used, many were also smuggled into Egypt via Libya as at the time foreign imports of blades were illegal in Egypt, but its clear the Egyptians favoured these to their local options. I’m working through various stories my father (who passed away earlier this year) wrote on the subject and I found your post because I was looking to see if any of the original Nacet print ads might be around to buy. It may be that these blades were manufactured out of the South African Gilette factory rather than the UK. If you’re still looking for knowledge let me know because like I said I’m working through dads stories and there’s some amazingly candid info in there.

Wow, please share anything you can, we'd all love to learn more from you and through your father's work. This would be a great addition to the wiki, to preserve it in a better way. If you want to do that, great, or if you want to provide the information, one of the community members here would likely help get it into the wiki. Here is the Nacet page:

We figured this out a couple years ago, it's French for cut in half. Not very exciting, but that's what it's doing on the package!
(I don't remember without looking it up which African countries speak French, thought it was mostly Northern)

Not India. Nacet is for Middle East, Malaysia and Singapore. Both disposables and DE blades
The brands marketed in India (both disposables and DE) are Gillette and 7 o'clock.

And Africa too, it would seem. A well known blade in Kenya historically, currently available at plenty of online shops in Kenya including Carrefour. Being sold at Carrefour would indicate to me that it's still officially distributed in Kenya.

Gillette Nacet was the first sponsor of Malawi's "Super League" football league established 1986, and perhaps a similar situation with this Kenyan football team called Nacet:

1701139868442.png

Old Kenyan ad for Gillette Nacet Silver:
1701140113357.png

Long time ago in a land far aeay, lived a humble knight. His name was Sir Nacet.
He used his mighty sword and killed an enormus aligator, cutting it in half with a single swing, and thus saved the virgin princess. After few centuries his sword was reforged in to a milion DE blades that we use now today.

+1! This origin story takes the prize IMHO!! :a29::a29::a29:

I've been shaving exclusively with Nacet blades for about 7 years and they are my favorite blades! I was curious about their history and just found this thread. Thanks for this post! It's amazing!

And Africa too, it would seem. A well known blade in Kenya historically, currently available at plenty of online shops in Kenya including Carrefour. Being sold at Carrefour would indicate to me that it's still officially distributed in Kenya.

Gillette Nacet was the first sponsor of Malawi's "Super League" football league established 1986, and perhaps a similar situation with this Kenyan football team called Nacet:

View attachment 1755227

Old Kenyan ad for Gillette Nacet Silver:
View attachment 1755228

Made a post about these, but I thought I'd insert them here too-

Nacet Winner - made in India, sold in Nigeria, likely elsewhere in Africa too (trademarked in Mozambique, South Africa, and Uganda in 2022). Pic from a Nigerian webshop:
1703171700134.png

The artwork is very similar to Gillette's Winner Stainless blades (minus the famous Indian cricket player) that are made and sold in India, manufactured by Vertice:
1703220392861.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom