What's new

A Unexpected Haul From The Flea Market-Made in USA, France, Germany, Japan

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Over the years I had many good scores on groups of straights. This lot is definitely in the top five. A total of 8 and a half razors. A half?!?!?!, one is a Feather with no blade. A really good grouping that includes two that I would never expect at the dirt mall, a pair of Hart Steel Razors, 7/8 and 5/8 with a spare pair of scales. A pair of Dovo’s, the one with the cracked ice scales is a Fritz Bracht. A clean and shiny Thiers Issard Sheffield Silver Steel Wolf and Ram in horn scales. Never seen one of these before, a Blades Grim Reaper in nice wood scales, German made. The only antique razor in the lot, a straight from Challenge Cutlery Co, Bridgeport Conn. the last two, the early mentioned feather and a nicely made mystery Kamisori with asymmetrical grind. Going to need to do research on this one. Has no Kanji or other marking but has nicely wrapped tang. It wrapped red over black and dipped in what I guess is a type of wax. I was singing my happy song driving home after this score

51B49BE6-7B47-4CC9-A41F-FC1B4DECC32E.png
85E79D01-4513-442A-8EEF-5A5FF1FCC8C1.png
DC0C374D-655D-4EA2-BA2D-3CAB85F07AB8.png
EC20F214-7822-467D-88C4-0A0BB152C6F2.png
AE99D24E-8BCC-4924-B39D-D855E50EBC9F.png
5C05EC55-6591-433D-A715-AA9940F46B8C.png
93EBBFBE-4C05-4A8F-B480-2A1661ADE062.png
78BFBFCB-9FF7-4B74-90F4-88A966191649.png
1700B2C5-A0A4-45A9-953C-C7AC0FC57395.png
F10E3821-5BB3-4D9C-B26B-55D425875AC3.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That sure looks like a nice lot.

Which flea market was it? We live in Gainesville, Florida... don't worry, I'm not a buying competitor. I like DE and SE AC razors. If you'd rather keep it private, that's ok as well. ;)

Wow, nice haul! Although if I got my hands on a Hart Steel razor, I'd probably just mount it in a permanent display, fearing that the rumors about that steel might be true.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
That sure looks like a nice lot.

Which flea market was it? We live in Gainesville, Florida... don't worry, I'm not a buying competitor. I like DE and SE AC razors. If you'd rather keep it private, that's ok as well. ;)

Renninger’s Extravaganza in Mount Dora. Please come and buy. I am trying not to buy no more. I first seen these early and walked away. Hoping someone else would buy. Stopped back on my way leaving and still out. Couldn’t leave them there especially with rain coming

Wow, nice haul! Although if I got my hands on a Hart Steel razor, I'd probably just mount it in a permanent display, fearing that the rumors about that steel might be true.

What are the rumors? Of all my SR, these are the newest. I am guessing these are early one being marked with the makers initials TV and JA. All I know about them is they were higher quality on earlier made than on later made straights

@timwcic, you are a very fortunate young man.

Close, a grumpy old man HAHA

What are the rumors? Of all my SR, these are the newest. I am guessing these are early one being marked with the makers initials TV and JA. All I know about them is they were higher quality on earlier made than on later made straights
I am not fully confident of my memory of the rumors, but I think it was about the steel chipping when you try to hone it to a proper edge.

I'll bet some of the people present got a glimpse of Tim's "Flea Market score Dance".
Was looking for a link to "Gary Drayton gold dance" (oak island) as reference but couldn't find any.

Tim, thanks for sharing.

Beautiful lot! That’s TI looks awesome!

I think those Hart razors will probably take an amazing edge, and shave well for you Tim!

Congrats!

Vr

Matt

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well done. Nice variety there.

Some of the Hart razors do seem to come with issues as stated above. Some seem to be okay. I would hone normally but take a few finish laps with a layer of tape, if there is any doubt, and see what you think about the shave. Two layers, if one doesn't do the trick. No more than two. When you use more than two layers, the compressibility of the tape adds another giant variable to the equation, IMHO. Initial honing without tape will keep the shoulder knocked down and the final bevel face narrow, not a bad thing.

You may want to mute the heel point of that TI. Otherwise I would say that is your best score in that lot.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks everyone for all the kind words

I am not fully confident of my memory of the rumors, but I think it was about the steel chipping when you try to hone it to a proper edge.

Well done. Nice variety there.

Some of the Hart razors do seem to come with issues as stated above. Some seem to be okay. I would hone normally but take a few finish laps with a layer of tape, if there is any doubt, and see what you think about the shave. Two layers, if one doesn't do the trick. No more than two. When you use more than two layers, the compressibility of the tape adds another giant variable to the equation, IMHO. Initial honing without tape will keep the shoulder knocked down and the final bevel face narrow, not a bad thing.

You may want to mute the heel point of that TI. Otherwise I would say that is your best score in that lot.

The bevel on the 7/8 Hart was close to shave ready. Loupe cold not find any headaches. I hit it with a 4K to to clean up any micro crap from laying around. Sharpie ink said it was hitting evenly heel to toe. A quick run on the 8K and then polished the snot out of it first on a soft Y/G and finished on a hard DB Escher. Bevel held up nicely. Think it’s one of the earlier SR. Real nice shave. The weight feels like a heavy wedge, but has a half hollow grind to it. The scales are bulky, going to have to get used to or rescale

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Just looking idly at the pictures (wow) and took a look at that kamisori. I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like it may be either made by a talented amateur, or reconditioned. The wraps look like de-cored 660 cord, where I would tend to expect a Japanese maker would use a solid woven cord. Well-done, though, so whoever did it had some chops.

Not having a maker's mark, although it may be under the wraps, might also indicate that it was made by that talented amateur.

Betcha the mark's under the wraps.

Good scores!

O.H.

Top Bottom