What's new

Wish I had done this years ago

Hello fellow DE shavers,

Rookie shaver checking in (a little late) but this is one of those times I say I wish I had done this years ago. It was only recently I got completely frustrated trying to find replacement blades and foils for my Panasonic electric. Only 5 years old and parts were already scarce forcing me into an endless expensive upgrade cycle. I ordered a wrong foil based on a compatibility list from a "factory authorized dealer" and I said I am done and need a better option. I thought the electric razor was a more green and cheaper alternative than cartridges at the time as I was never satisfied with the multi-blade shaves. I did a quick internet search for a better cartridge shaver and somehow ended up at Amazon with a Merkur 34c in my cart since that was "Amazon's Choice". I wanted something fast so prime shipping got it to me the next. After a day of anxiously staring out the window waiting for the big blue delivery van, I promptly slopped on some Gillette Gel and shaved away without even researching anything. I am compulsive like that in that it takes me some mistakes to learn my lessons. Well, the first shave was so much better than I ever imagined, like the closest shave of my life that I can remember. Being so impressed I was like, this is the way, so I started to do my research on the internet and quickly found my way to BnB. I used the Merkur for about a week before ordering an RR Game Changer .84, MJ90a, and some other handles. I now have about four razors in rotation and am experimenting with many different blades. A five pack of blades is perfect for loading up my fleet of razors to assist with comparisons.

This site is dangerous for me as now I am starting to collect some vintage Gillettes, mostly just for display but I will eventually use them when I get the itch. The one thing I love about this particular personal hygiene and hobby is that razors are SO much cheaper than other hobbies I had taking interest in over the years like watches and stereo equipment. I am a sucker for nicely designed and built shiny metal tools and equipment. Whereas a DAC or watch is hundreds to thousands of dollars, we are talking only tens of dollars here for the majority of mid to high tier offerings. I am starting to explore other realms of wet shaving now that I have my hardware line up stabilized. I am looking at soaps and creams and after shave balms now that I have an appreciation of the function. It is too bad I only need to shave every 2 days now. I was shaving like every day in the beginning of my DE adventures just to get practice but I think it was overkill and my face needed a more realistic schedule and rest.

Thanks for providing a forum and resource with a wealth of knowledge and experience to benefit from and nice to meet you all from the West Coast USA. Happy smooth shaving!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This site is dangerous for me as now I am starting to collect some vintage Gillettes, mostly just for display but I will eventually use them when I get the itch. The one thing I love about this particular personal hygiene and hobby is that razors are SO much cheaper than other hobbies I had taking interest in over the years like watches and stereo equipment.
Welcome to B&B, we all have enjoyed this traditional shaving experience mostly and like you mentioned should of used the single and double edge razors many years earlier.

Braun makes very good electrics and one of those would have probably served you better than the Panasonic, though maybe at a higher price. Wet-shaving beats both. The drawbacks are you need more time for your shave, it takes a while to master the techniques, and it can become an obsession. The added bonus is a whole community of fairly civil and decent people. There are always people selling and trading used gear and there are even raffles and auctions.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
welcome to one of the nicest and finest groups of people on the internet. One I am proud to claim membership in, still stunned they let me in:letterk1:. I think most here wish they found this whole process far sooner. As for the rabbit hole, no one can save you from that but yourself!

Braun makes very good electrics and one of those would have probably served you better than the Panasonic
I did have a Braun, and it was a great electric, as far as electrics go, and it had a really strong torquey motor. But what I recall is that their foils were so fragile and I was busting them way to often and they were expensive to replace. I think that is why I tried the Panasonic. Either way, never going back to the electric!

Vintage Gillettes are becoming my favorite.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! Many of us wish we'd started earlier, but you're here now! Looking forward to hearing more, particularly when those vintage pieces come off of display and into rotation. Happy shaves!

Welcome! Traditional wet shaving is a slippery slope, though it seems you've already figured that out.

Most vintage Gillettes are great shavers, plus there are many new DEs that are amazing, but have you considered giving a straight razor a try ......

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome! Traditional wet shaving is a slippery slope, though it seems you've already figured that out.

Most vintage Gillettes are great shavers, plus there are many new DEs that are amazing, but have you considered giving a straight razor a try ......
Lol. You've found a slippery slope, perhaps you'd consider a potentially "slipperier" slope? I mean no offense @Ironw . Proceed with caution, or at least information, @Calyshaver . Happy shaves all, whatever you're using.

Top Bottom