What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wow!! I didn't know SV had a Mango soap! You have such wonderful and eclectic soaps, it's inspiring. I'll be reading your impressions of this with interest!
Thank you very much. :)

The first shave with Flying Mango was great! Beautiful lather. Creamy, slick and protective. Very nice post-shave face feel.

More to follow as the week progresses.

I believe it’s an exclusive with Bullgoose.
Bullgoose lists it as an Asylum product manufactured by SV. Is Asylum exclusive with Bullgoose? Paging @BullGoose for the answer. :)

Thank you very much. :)

The first shave with Flying Mango was great! Beautiful lather. Creamy, slick and protective. Very nice post-shave face feel.

More to follow as the week progresses.

Bullgoose lists it as an Asylum product manufactured by SV. Is Asylum exclusive with Bullgoose? Paging @BullGoose for the answer. :)
Asylum Shave Works is my house brand. I had Saponificio Varesino make a few shave soaps for the Asylum brand (Colonia and Flying Mango). There was also a matching balm for the Colonia soap.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 16 of 16 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 15 of 16 = 94%
20230116_121541~2.jpg

Razor: Swing DE (Sweden) (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (6)
20230116_121627~2.jpg

Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino
20230115_155639~2.jpg

Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (applied at bedtime)

The Swedish Swing DE is a great razor that is efficient and very effective. A really cool vintage razor that is a pleasure to use!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Wolf Whiskers Tyrion. The handle is very ergonomic and the Maggard SHD Fan is an excellent knot. Great brush with excellent performance!

Staying with Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino this week. Lovely soap. I'll comment further after I've used it all week.

Used Pinaud Clubman Aftershave and Cuba Orange EdT Spray again today. Definitely two of my favorites!

Superb DFS+ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 17 of 17 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 16 of 17 = 94%
20230117_131913~2.jpg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor
Blade: Eddison (1)
20230117_132048~2.jpg

Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super

20230117_131945~2.jpg

Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray

Back to the Rocnel Sailor today. Set the dial at IV and enjoyed an efficient, smooth and predictable shave. First impression of the Eddison Israeli blade is that it's a good match for the Rocnel. More to follow after additional shaves. Overall, the Rocnel + Eddison combination produced an elegant and effective shave!

Today's BADGERary 2023 brush is the Simpson Tulip T3 in Super. The Tulip T3 handle is very ergonomic and easy to grip. The Simpson Super knot feels great. Excellent performance!

Staying with Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino this week. Lovely soap. I'll comment further after I've used it all week.

Used Pinaud Clubman Aftershave again today. Changed my Fragrance to Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray. Great combination!

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
365 Shaves in 2023: 17 of 17 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 16 of 17 = 94%
View attachment 1589958
Blade: Eddison (1)
View attachment 1589961
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super

View attachment 1589959

Back to the Rocnel Sailor today. Set the dial at IV and enjoyed an efficient, smooth and predictable shave. First impression of the Eddison Israeli blade is that it's a good match for the Rocnel. More to follow after additional shaves. Overall, the Rocnel + Eddison combination produced an elegant and effective shave!

Today's BADGERary 2023 brush is the Simpson Tulip T3 in Super. The Tulip T3 handle is very ergonomic and easy to grip. The Simpson Super knot feels great. Excellent performance!

Used Pinaud Clubman Aftershave again today. Changed my Fragrance to Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray. Great combination!

David, have you ever used Lustray Coachman? Just curious.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 18 of 18 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 17 of 18 = 94%
20230118_134101~2.jpg

Blade: Eddison (2)
20230118_134213~2.jpg

Brush: H. L. Thater 4292/5 (25mm 2-Band Silvertip)

20230117_131945~2.jpg

Used the Rocnel Sailor again today. Set the dial at III and enjoyed a very relaxing yet still quite effective shave. The Eddison Israeli blade acquitted itself quite well in the second outing with the Rocnel. Everything worked together wonderfully!

Today's BADGERary 2023 brush is the H. L. Thater 4292/5, 25mm 2-Band Silvertip. By now it must be pretty apparent that I like 2-Band Silvertip knots. The Thater is a very nice, very comfortable brush.

Still using this week's aftershave and fragrance selections: Pinaud Clubman and Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray. Great combination!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 19 of 19 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 18 of 19 = 95%
20230119_094553~2.jpg

Razor: Prismatic (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Eddison (3)
20230119_094709~2.jpg

Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)

20230119_094617~2.jpg

The Prismatic is a very interesting razor. My understanding is that is a copy of the King Beard and Company (KBC) razor from the 1920s - 1940s. Had to experiment to get the correct angle, which turned out to be approximately halfway between shallow and neutral. Had to go to 4-Passes plus Touchups to get through my wiry, chaotic, swirling beard for a CCS+. I'll need more shaves with the Prismatic to comment further.

The Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger) is a wonderful brush! Feels great on my face and in hand. A real pleasure to use!

Still using this week's aftershave and fragrance selections: Pinaud Clubman and Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray. Great combination!

A decent CCS+ shave! :cool:

365 Shaves in 2023: 19 of 19 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 18 of 19 = 95%
View attachment 1590990
Razor: Prismatic (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Eddison (3)
View attachment 1590992
Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)

View attachment 1590991

The Prismatic is a very interesting razor. My understanding is that is a copy of the King Beard and Company (KBC) razor from the 1920s - 1940s. Had to experiment to get the correct angle, which turned out to be approximately halfway between shallow and neutral. Had to go to 4-Passes plus Touchups to get through my wiry, chaotic, swirling beard for a CCS+. I'll need more shaves with the Prismatic to comment further.

The Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger) is a wonderful brush! Feels great on my face and in hand. A real pleasure to use!

A decent CCS+ shave! :cool:
Keep playing with the Prismatic. With the right angle,it's bbs in two passes.
You might want to look at the Sharpologist review too 🙏🏽

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Keep playing with the Prismatic. With the right angle,it's bbs in two passes.
You might want to look at the Sharpologist review too 🙏🏽
I tried a variety of angles and found that the shallow side of neutral worked best. Yes, I will experiment further.

The Prismatic is mild and smooth, just not effective on my beard.

Given the myriad of directions in which my beard grows plus the wiry nature of my old gray whiskers, I no longer chase BBS. A 3-Pass plus Touchups DFS to DFS++ is my target.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I tried a variety of angles and found that the shallow side of neutral worked best. Yes, I will experiment further.

The Prismatic is mild and smooth, just not effective on my beard.

Given the myriad of directions in which my beard grows plus the wiry nature of my old gray whiskers, I no longer chase BBS. A 3-Pass plus Touchups DFS to DFS++ is my target.
What's a BBS? :ouch1:Lol
~doug~

Something I do not chase. ;) 🤣
I have ceased the chase for this week and seeing how I get by with just two passes and touch ups rather than going full fledged - and I must say that I have had some of the most wonderful shaves. No irritation, smooth and comfortable and the end result still a very nice close shave. No full BBS but definitely DFS material. Quite happy about that.

Guido

Top Bottom