What's new

Active Duty / Veteran Comment Thread

I am always deeply impressed and somewhat moved by the number and quality of fine Gentlemen on B&B who did or have served in the military.

All of us in the Western World owe you a deep measure of gratitude for your courage, time you have sacrificed for us, and dedication.

Gents like you allow us civilians to sleep in our warm beds safely.

May you all prosper in your service and may Gents who have left their branches have happy and rewarding retirements afterwards.

Last edited:
My daughter is serving in the US Navy and just visited us in Bangkok. We went to visit Venus Jewelers as two generation customers. One of their services is “ gold dipping”. She had her Surface Warfare Officer pin dipped in gold and had the hull numbers of her two ships engraved on the back. LPD19 (USS Mesa Verde) and DDG67 (USS Cole).
0FB729D1-A43B-475A-9632-D394771C14E0.jpeg
85BFD868-207C-451B-A7E2-80B273B6EF3E.jpeg

1. United States
2. U.S. Navy
3. LT
4. Qualified in Submarines and as Engineer
5. Served on USS Aspro SSN-648 out of Pearl during Vietnam era. Yes, I have the ribbons, though what we did was not as hazardous as in-country.
RE: #4
You have my respect sir. Thought about it, but did not have the grades. Some of my fellow Cadets at Mass. Maritime Academy did make it though. I have to ask....did you go through the famous interview process with Rickover?

CG-22 was Leahy class with missile launchers fore and aft. CG-30 was Belknap class with missile launchers foreward and a gun mount aft.
Agreed, Leahys were known as "double enders." Refuelled a few of them in the IO back in the day. Belknaps were "single enders", essentially replacing the second MK 10 for a 5"/54 and ASW helo capability. Always liked refuelling the USS Sterett (CG-31), as they played Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" during their alongside approach. Those guys knew how to have fun.

Also did one of my annual 2 weeks ACDUTRA on the Harry E. Yarnell (CG-17) in the late 80s.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Those of us who oversaw paper from the safety of desks are in reverent awe of those who were out there doing the hard and dangerous things. Snapping off an early morning salute to you.

I've experienced the crazy high temps of the Gulf of Aden. I was deployed to Djibouti for 6 months, Apr-Oct 2009.
Wow, yeah, you must have felt the heat!! Hats off to you, buddy!

You were right in the elbow between Red Sea and Arabian Sea, in the Gulf of Aden; Camp Lemonier? Although I was "near" at first, Djibouti is a couple thousand miles from where I spent the bulk of my time in Nigeria, though, at some point I was briefly stationed more toward the Gulf of Aden (without going into details); Camp Lemonnier (Djibouti) being a Naval Base. My memory gets foggy (a good thing!)

Djibouti is crucial! All the more power to you. It's strategically located by the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait (near Gulf of Aden, but in a key location controlling approach to Suez, I think).

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 Anyway, here we can relax and talk about blades without blistering heat! 😇. (We're probably boring everyone else by now.)

Top Bottom