What's new

Hendrix Classics Co Soaps

This is my first post here so I’ll try to avoid boring everyone.

I have been searching a while now for a replacement of my main daily soap that I have been using for a few years now, which has a very clean sent and made by Barrister and Mann, and today tried one from a place I never heard of before: Hendrix Classics Co

Why am I looking for a replacement of a top shelf Barrister and Mann soap? It has nothing to do with the performance. I guess the scent isn’t “sophisticated enough” or “wacky enough” to fit their current trend of pursuing “unique scents”, so they discontinued it, it seems. But onward I go having fun looking for the replacement.

Anyway this soap I tried today from Hendrix made a really good first impression. The lather literally exploded and made a nice cushion and the slickness was unlike anything I ever experienced before.

I only have experience with B&M and Grooming Dept and the soap I tried today was not a downgrade at all.

I am curious to know, for those of you who have used this brand before and have experience trying many different brands of soaps, how does this stack up against the top performers you have tried?

I like the stuff...a lot. My main experience is with his Bay Rum scent. It's the best "traditional" Bay Rum out there. It stacks up as well as any other artisan soap I've tried.

Pete's a really nice guy too. We converse on Facebook messenger every once in a while. He's still kind of new in the game and wants to offer quality products at inexpensive prices.

I'm always on the lookout for unscented shave soaps.

I'm going to try his unscented. He charges $12 for for a 3.5 oz refill vs $19 for 5 oz regular container.

My comparison will be against Stirling Sheep, Shannon's Soaps Nil, and Canada Shaving Soap, which are currently my favorites.

I'm using up the HC&C Unscented soap because it works well and Pete just packs in a lot of soap in the jar. It's stated to be 5oz of soap but seemed more like 6oz to me.

The lather is slick and creamy and easy to use but I notice that it does suffer a bit with natural hair brushes. With synthetics, I don't have much more to ask but with natural hairs, the lather breaks down a bit easier than some artisan soaps. Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'm using up the HC&C Unscented soap because it works well and Pete just packs in a lot of soap in the jar. It's stated to be 5oz of soap but seemed more like 6oz to me.

The lather is slick and creamy and easy to use but I notice that it does suffer a bit with natural hair brushes. With synthetics, I don't have much more to ask but with natural hairs, the lather breaks down a bit easier than some artisan soaps. Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience.

If I have to hypothesize, I'd say that due to so many butters in the base, it would have a decent amount of oleic acid.

In this case, you need to add water a little slower. Perhaps the natural hair brushes are releasing stored water and breaking down the lather?

If I have to hypothesize, I'd say that due to so many butters in the base, it would have a decent amount of oleic acid.

In this case, you need to add water a little slower. Perhaps the natural hair brushes are releasing stored water and breaking down the lather?
I'm not so sure. It may be that tallow helps more with natural hair brushes? I notice that HC&C soaps doesn't have tallow but many other butters. I do add a lot of water to my lather so that could be just me. If I use it drier, I think I can get a better result but it would not be ideal for my shaves.

Reactions: nav
I'm not so sure. It may be that tallow helps more with natural hair brushes? I notice that HC&C soaps doesn't have tallow but many other butters. I do add a lot of water to my lather so that could be just me. If I use it drier, I think I can get a better result but it would not be ideal for my shaves.

No need to use it drier...Just add the water slower when using natural hair brushes.

I make my own shaving soap with tons of butters and they can take a ton of water, as long as I don't drown the lather.
High butter content makes for very thirsty soaps!

Just a little update. I’ve been using this stuff exclusively since it arrived. Im really impressed with it so I grabbed all the samples of scents I’m likely to like. Anyway, I’m liking it so much that I haven’t reached for my others for almost a month.

[Necromancing this thread from early 2023]

This morning I used the Hendrix Classics "James Bond" soap. The scent is minimal but I like the creamy lather it produces. Performance seems quite good.

I’ve only tried „Havanna Breeze“ so far and really liked the soap. Also rather firm for a US Artisan, so lots of value.

Scent reminds me of hot cocoa. It is supposed to smell like a humidor, but since I have no clue how that smells, hot cocoa it is for me.

Gunslinger and Miami lights are other scents that intrigue me.

I tried Gunslinger and it is a beautiful sweet tobacco scent. Performance is amazing. FYI: I use a synthetic brush and find reducing the amount of water from my usual 3tsp to 2.5tsp is optimal.

Top Bottom