What's new

The secrets of the antique scuttle, perhaps the most misunderstood piece of shaving gear

I don't own any vintage mugs or scuttles, so I I am not able to join you in your vintage awesomeness. 😥

proxy.php

Having said that however, I do own a modern Captains Choice Starry Night scuttle. The purpose of a scuttle, is to keep your lather and brush warm. For those who live in northern climates, a shaving scuttle is absolutely essential. So here is how I do it, with my modern CC scuttle...

Step 1.

I heat up water in my electric kettle, and then pour the water into the mouth of the scuttle, to fill up the heat chamber.

proxy.php

Step 2.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use a Bouillon teaspoon, to scoop up the soap from the puk, I then place that soap into the scuttles lather area, and then I use my thumb, to smoosh it down evenly.

proxy.php

Step 3.

Using the same spoon, I put a teaspoon of water into the lather to start. And then I begin working up a lather with my brush. As the lather begins to get pasty, I add another teaspoon to the lather, and continue working it till I get as close to a creamy yogurt consistency of lather possible.

proxy.php

Scuttle Notes.

In my experience, shaving scuttles have such a small lather area, that its literally impossible to work up a lather, using a large shaving brush. I first tried to work up a lather using my Maseto Avatar 30mm knot brush, and it wasn't happening, I had to finish off doing a face lather I failed so bad.

proxy.php

As you can see, it just wasn't happening! The brush is just so huge, its impossible to have room in order to work the bubbles out. I also tried using my scuttle with my smaller 24mm APSHAVECO Lagoon brush, and the knot size is still too big! So thats when I decided to get my Omega 636 ST Badger brush with its 21mm knot.

proxy.php

This brush is small enough at least, and allows me to make a lather in my scuttle. So I would say the brush size limit for scuttles, should be around 21mm. Having said that however, if you have an even smaller brush, say one of those 18mm little Wee Scotts I hear about, that would be even better!

After I lather up for each pass, I set the brush back down in the lather area, as pictured above. This allows the scuttle to keep the brush warm as well. After completing a pass, when I go to pickup my brush again, its really warm, and it feels so nice as I apply the lather to my face, its like a warm facial massage, nothing better!

By using hot kettle water, I find, that it keeps my lather nice and warm for up to an hour worth of shaving time. It really helps that these scuttles are made of ceramic, as ceramic is an excellent material, to transfer heat. In my experience, I also discovered, that its a good idea to put a towel down on the counter surface, and to place the scuttle down on the towel. If you don't, you will have an extra bit of mess to clean up on the counter, trust me, been there, done that lol.

Then when I am done with the scuttle, I just pour out the water from the water chamber, and rinse out the lather spot in the sink, turn it upside to dry on a towel, simple. I love warm lather! 😍

IMG_20230119_051733005.jpg

I have two of the modern scuttles as well. These work better with soaps and creams that aren't in puck form because you have a place to build lather.

I made this post because I think a lot of people who try to use antique scuttles are under the impression that you HAVE to load the brush with soap or that you HAVE to build a lather in the scuttle. In reality, I think these are just a brush warmer with a convenient place to put your soap, and a lot of people overthink it.

Modern scuttles do have certain appeal as they are usually made by artisan potters. They borrow the word scuttle from the original devices which resembled coal scuttles. The best modern design, I feel, is the one with cork in. If you have a accident carrying one upstairs, you are less likely to scald yourself. I think I already spend an inordinate amount of time shaving. The introduction of a modern scuttle would only make matters worse. Multiple passes are often unnecessary if you shave daily and good equipment.

Modern scuttles do not look like antique coal scuttles. Modern scuttles are basically soap bowls that hold hot water in the bottom.

Antique shaving scuttles, like the one from my original post, are called scuttles because they have a tilted mouth and look similar to the coal scuttles of the time.IMG_6386.jpg
il_340x270.4390315220_girw.jpg

No, thanks. This'll be fun to experiment with. The cost of the scuttle was great- the shipping was not.

Apparently, it's from the same maker as yours. Here's a pic from Ebay. It was one of the only ones with that style brush "spout" on there. That was the main selling point for me, because it looks like it can accommodate all sizes of brushes that way. Some of the other ones I looked at seemed like they would only accept the really short brushes of yesteryear.
View attachment 1590609

Yes, this design does allow for larger modern brushes. Nice choice!

I believe that to be a traditional scuttle and that it was used with the soap puck in the top. I have seen the top part with the drainage holes used for lathering but I do not think that is how the scuttle was used. I think you load the brush from the puck in the top and then face lather or transfer to a lathering bowl. In the days before indoor plumbing you would have a jug, basin and mirror in your room. You would want to avoid polluting the whole basin of clean water with soap and bristles so you would use the scuttle for the entire shaving process, wiping your straight razor with a towel, not in the basin. This method also minimises the volume of water used for the shave which is an advantage in the absence of indoor plumbing.
I'm not trying to sound like Mr know-it -all but wouldn't the basin be the place to collect the wastewater? You're clean water comes from the jug and not the basin, the basin is a catch all for after washing hands etc.

Because most homes didn't have running water, let alone running hot water, filling a little scuttle with hot water makes much more sense than trying to fill a whole jug with hot water.

Just genuinely curious

The whole idea, as I understand it, is to have just one mug to hold shaving soap, brush and hot water in the era before household running water. A small piece of soap goes up top (not like the larger pucks we have today). Hot water can be poured over the soap to soften it and the water will drain down the small holes. More water goes in the spout to fill the scuttle up. The brush goes in the spout to soak for a bit.

The person shaving just did face lathering. They probably just used a thin coat of lather instead of making huge amounts. The brush could rest in the top bowl, or go back in the spout to get warmed up again. Lather and whiskers were cleaned off the straight razor with a cloth or towel. They had a separate basin for clean wash water.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'm not trying to sound like Mr know-it -all but wouldn't the basin be the place to collect the wastewater? You're clean water comes from the jug and not the basin, the basin is a catch all for after washing hands etc.

Because most homes didn't have running water, let alone running hot water, filling a little scuttle with hot water makes much more sense than trying to fill a whole jug with hot water.

Just genuinely curious
To be honest I am not certain, I would think there should be some definitive answer to scuttle usage such as a patent, printed vintage instructions or contempory advertising etc. Photography and moving pictures came about while scuttles and straight razors were still in common use so there should exist some definitive evidence into how they were actually used by real shavers. Maybe each person simply used them as they personally preferred with no set technique, just as there are several lathering techniques used today. There are plenty of scuttle method descriptions to be found on the Internet but they are all simply guesswork, just as mine is. It is not something that concerns me as I prefer very cold water for shaving and neither like nor want warm lather.

To be honest I am not certain, I would think there should be some definitive answer to scuttle usage such as a patent, printed vintage instructions or contempory advertising etc. Photography and moving pictures came about while scuttles and straight razors were still in common use so there should exist some definitive evidence into how they were actually used by real shavers. Maybe each person simply used them as they personally preferred with no set technique, just as there are several lathering techniques used today. There are plenty of scuttle method descriptions to be found on the Internet but they are all simply guesswork, just as mine is. It is not something that concerns me as I prefer very cold water for shaving and neither like nor want warm lather.
Your comments make sense…..Take my routine for example. I prefer a hot water INITIAL rinse along with a hot application of both brush and soap as I get started on my first pass, then followed by a cold water rinse after the pass. Then another hot soap and brush in preparation of the second pass, followed by a cold water rinse. The touch up work is done with the same routine of the previous two passes. Hot lather and brush, touch up, and rinse with cold.
In other words….Whatever works for you.👍😊💈

View attachment 1590276

I make lather on my face after loading my brush from the puck. I do soak of brush in warm water in the bottom. Then fill with hot water. I rest my brush on the top where the holes are and that keeps my brush warm. So I dont put my soap puck in the top.

If I hadn't run out of room to store shave gear (I have a bedroom full) I'd start collecting these cool cups.
I have seen one with Widdecombe Fair depicted. "Old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all, Old Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all."

Thanks for the reply. You are right, there has to be something documented somewhere on the correct way to use them. I should see what I can dig up. It's always fun researching historical things.

And maybe you are completely right on there is no definitive way to use one, and you simply used it in which way worked best for you. Maybe YMMV even pertains to that time period too

Judging from the geometry and size of these antiques, I think one can assume that face lathering was the way the lather was built.

So here is my form / function guess as to how they were used:

Put a bit of soap in the top.
Pour hot water from a kettle through the top to wet the soap.
Finish pouring water through the bottom.
Put shaving brush into the bottom to soak in the hot water.
Strop your SR while brush is soaking.
Load the bush with the soap on top. (Excess water from the brush drains through holes.)
Face lather.

Also... I think these scuttles were upper middle class / upper class items. Everyone else went to a barber for a shave.

(Very interesting thread.)

Thanks for the reply. You are right, there has to be something documented somewhere on the correct way to use them. I should see what I can dig up. It's always fun researching historical things.

And maybe you are completely right on there is no definitive way to use one, and you simply used it in which way worked best for you. Maybe YMMV even pertains to that time period too

I looked up the patents to see what the inventors thought.

• Love
Reactions: ewk
I am more with Fuzzypeg on this one.

To my understanding, there are scuttles and there are shaving mugs (a.k.a. lathering bowls).

To me, scuttles are there to keep the lather warm and the design that I describe is a fairly recent adaptation.
They have a mantle that is filled with hot water, but they do not have holes in the bottom of the bowl-shaped hemisphere, were the lather is kept warm. They may hold a small amount of shaving soap or cream, sufficient for one shave or maybe even only one pass. A scuttle does not typically have an opening that is wide enough to dip a shaving brush into the warm water and the opening is usually the size of a spout of a teapot. I own two of those, but rarely use them, as I am a face latherer and the effort is hardly worth the effect.

By comparison, a shaving mug (a.k.a. lathering bowl) is a traditional utensil used by barbers or anyone else who does not have a sink in front of them when performing a shave.
They are handheld and may hold a small amount of warm water at the bottom and are used to generate lather and wet (and hold) the shaving brush during the shave. They may hold a puck of shaving soap, but all barbers that I have visited so far rather applied shaving cream straight into the brush.
As in a typical barber shop the sink is typically a few feet away, the shaving mug became quite popular among professionals, as a barber with such a shaving mug had everything handy for a shave.

In fact, I have one of those unadorned, strictly funcional professional porcelain shaving mugs from a barber supply shop in Europe and it is quite practical if I don’t have a sink in front of me, which admittedly is not that often…

1674323896279.png

Professional Shaving Mug (The hole is for the the mug with the thumb.)

So in a nutshell:
If it has several holes at the bottom of the bowl and you can “park” a shaving brush on the side so that it can reach the warm water in the bottom, then it is a shaving bowl in my universe.

If is has no holes at the bottom of the bowl, has a water mantle to keep the lather warm, but you cannot dip a brush into the warm water, then it is a scuttle in my universe.

And: My universe - my rules.:straight:

Of course in your universe, you make your rules and call thingies whatever you like… :001_cool:

There are also variations that may defy a clear definition and in the end people can call them what they like.

B.

Attachments

• 1674324221858.png
    1674324221858.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
In fact, I have one of those unadorned, strictly funcional professional porcelain shaving mugs from a barber supply shop in Europe and it is quite practical if I don’t have a sink in front of me, which admittedly is not that often…

View attachment 1591892

Professional Shaving Mug (The hole is for the the mug with the thumb.)

“Professional Shaving Mug (The hole is for the the mug with the thumb.)”
Duh. :blushing:
Oh dear, I was in a hurry to walk the dogs…

Should of course read:
“Professional Shaving Mug (The hole is for holding the mug with the thumb.)”

Interesting thread. I have several vintage shaving mugs/scuttles. There were several varieties made back in the day. Some the soap tray was made for half a puck, some were for a full puck. Some were intended to accommodate a brush in the water well, others were not. Some had an indentation on the top to hold either a brush or a straight razor. To really understand how they should be used you have to put yourself back in the time period when they were in common use. Consider the layout of houses, and the presence or absence of plumbing. You also have to consider that men (just like today) would have their preference for how they lathered -- lather from the puck or rub the puck on a wet face and then build a lather with a brush, or rub the puck with two wet hands (as if washing your hands) and then applying the lather to the face. Not everyone owned a brush. I also have several vintage shaving mirrors with brush holders and cups that were intended to be placed on a bureau or table for shaving. I also have a couple that were intended for travel use. And remember, back when those shaving implements were in use, straight razors and some SE razors were most common. I will try and post some pictures of my small collection.

Addendum: Also, think of what would be available in terms of soaps. Creams were likely not common at that time (someone correct me if I am wrong on this point). Most of what would be available would be shaving pucks, or (like I used for many years) hand soap like Sunlight would have been used. I would take a large bar of Sunlight and cut a piece to use for shaving. Great product for shaving on a budget. They could be cut to fit the soap tray on the scuttle.

And another note on brushes. Most in the early days were much smaller than the big Chubbies of today. Several of my scuttles cant accommodate most of my brushes.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I like the idea that the top was just somewhere to park the soap after you rubbed it on you face to face lather. That actually makes a lot of sense.

View attachment 1590276

I make lather on my face after loading my brush from the puck. I do soak of brush in warm water in the bottom. Then fill with hot water. I rest my brush on the top where the holes are and that keeps my brush warm. So I dont put my soap puck in the top.

If I hadn't run out of room to store shave gear (I have a bedroom full) I'd start collecting these cool cups.
Yep, same. Just rest my brush on top, because it’s grooved to support a brush, and a three pass loading stays warm.

C59C9829-49E7-4CBA-851F-B1C9DE1C766A.jpeg

Top Bottom