What's new

Disposable Razors you'd actually use...

I know this may be blasphemy on here but disposable cartridge razors... They exist and are a hell of a lot easier to get hold of from the shops, and there a variety of them. While they do have a fair few downsides, they do have a few positives, such as being flight safe and relatively hard to cut yourself with, plus you can pick (some of them) up cheap.

So saying all this, are there any that you can tolerate? Or go as far as like?

For me, there's 2 that fit this category, one being cheap, the other a little more premium. The premium one is the Wilkinson Sword Xtreme 3. 3 blades, decent head design that flexes to the face. £3.29 for 6 of them, or can even pick up single ones for £0.70. Overall not bad. The other, cheap one is the trusty Bic 1. Cheap, dirty, effective. £1 for 10.

61GMYsdh2HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
0058185-2.jpg

Bic or Barbasol twin blades. The Bic metal single blade with safety bar and the Wilkinson quad blade with the metal handle (double sided twin blade).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm a great fan of the Bic Hybrid 3, using it about every second or third shave.

IMG_20221101_072832.jpg

Each cartridge lasts me about 10 to 12 shaves. I do my normal three-pass SR shave then a single WTG pass using the Hybrid 3. This gives me the perfect amount of burn/sting when I splash on my aftershave.

Without the use of the Hybrid 3, there is no aftershave reaction and life gets boring.

I'm a great fan of the Bic Hybrid 3, using it about every second or third shave.

Each cartridge lasts me about 10 to 12 shaves. I do my normal three-pass SR shave then a single WTG pass using the Hybrid 3. This gives me the perfect amount of burn/sting when I splash on my aftershave.

Without the use of the Hybrid 3, there is no aftershave reaction and life gets boring.
Looks alright but I'm completely done with any sort of replaceable cartridge razor since I always end up with either a handle that you cant buy spare blades for, or a load of blades and no handle

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nothing wrong with disposable or cartridge razors - the Bic Metal is superb - nothing I have tried will shave me closer, except the Feather AC DX. It is inexpensive, has a single blade, fixed head, and no absurd lubricating strip. I prefer a vintage DE but the Bic is a close second and, for me, preferable to any modern DE razor that I have tried. Admittedly I have probably tried no more than two modern DE razors 😆

Last edited:
BIC Metal is good. It's very lightweight, though. I used to use them when I was traveling a lot. Carry a couple of those, a small tube of shave cream or a shave stick and you are set.

Gillette Guard. Technically it's a cartridge razor, but it's kind of a hybrid. A plastic handle with replaceable cartridges that swivel. Shaves pretty well and they're inexpensive.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Looks alright but I'm completely done with any sort of replaceable cartridge razor since I always end up with either a handle that you cant buy spare blades for, or a load of blades and no handle
That's were Bic solved the problem with their Hybrid 3. It can only be purchased as a handle with six cartridges. Cartridges cannot be purchased separately.

Who ever said the French weren't smart?

BIC Metal is good. It's very lightweight, though. I used to use them when I was traveling a lot. Carry a couple of those, a small tube of shave cream or a shave stick and you are set.

Gillette Guard. Technically it's a cartridge razor, but it's kind of a hybrid. A plastic handle with replaceable cartridges that swivel. Shaves pretty well and they're inexpensive.
I keep hearing good things about them but can't justify paying the price to try them

That's were Bic solved the problem with their Hybrid 3. It can only be purchased as a handle with six cartridges. Cartridges cannot be purchased separately.

Who ever said the French weren't smart?
But doesn't that then defeat the point of it having seperate cartridges? Since you have to bin the handle anyway?

Plus I've still had the issue of losing the handle. Ever tried to shave my claw gripping a cartridge?

I've never tried the Bic Metal ones, but the one you pictured with the yellow handle used to work really well for me. It was definitely sharp enough to still nick you if you made the wrong move. The price was an added bonus to the sharpness.

I've never tried the Bic Metal ones, but the one you pictured with the yellow handle used to work really well for me. It was definitely sharp enough to still nick you if you made the wrong move. The price was an added bonus to the sharpness.
BIC make some decent stuff. I'm 50/50 on their de blades but their disposables are always a solid bet

But doesn't that then defeat the point of it having seperate cartridges? Since you have to bin the handle anyway?

Plus I've still had the issue of losing the handle. Ever tried to shave my claw gripping a cartridge?

My guess is they made a business decision along the lines of... They want to keep the price competitive. If they sell it as a set only, it's less packages to make, less stock to track, etc.. If they pass on that savings to the customer, folks won't mind buying a new "whole set' if their handle breaks or is lost.

In all honestly, I'd imagine the handles are good for dozens of carts before they are broken / deformed. So barring loss or accidents, most of the time you're getting a huge deal. If you break it loose your handle, it's a smaller deal (but still better!) instead because you typically don't get anywhere near that amount of blades with a handle from Gillette. Thus you can treat it like either: a new handle or a cart refill.

I think I just saw them for around $6 usd. Even the sensor 3, with fewer carts, is a bit more expensive ($7 or $8). I've never tried them, but I will add them to my list. Definitely worth it, IMO.

BIC Metal for me as well. The only travel razor I use.

my wife still uses the expensive Gillette 5 blade carts. They do shave nice and I will use them when I am in a rush a few times a year.

Honestly, I never had a problem with the Gillette Sensor or the Mach 3 - no razor burn, no ingrown hairs, nothing. I'll also admit that I'm not sure that I find great cost savings with a DE because I would use the Sensor or Mach 3 much longer than I should have (because it was so expensive to buy new heads and because while it was duller I didn't experience a lot of discomfort). However, I just enjoy the shaving experience, the results (closeness and smoothness), and the overall cost (being able to throw in a new blade for pennies thus assuring sharpness and smoothness) more when using a DE.

Honestly, I never had a problem with the Gillette Sensor or the Mach 3 - no razor burn, no ingrown hairs, nothing. I'll also admit that I'm not sure that I find great cost savings with a DE because I would use the Sensor or Mach 3 much longer than I should have (because it was so expensive to buy new heads and because while it was duller I didn't experience a lot of discomfort). However, I just enjoy the shaving experience, the results (closeness and smoothness), and the overall cost (being able to throw in a new blade for pennies thus assuring sharpness and smoothness) more when using a DE.
There is no doubt it is a completely different shave. I don't think a cart can come close to the experience - the closeness, comfort, and even the joy of going through the steps. It's nice to have carts when traveling, especially by air without checked bags. But that experience will never be replaced, IMO.

The Bic Twin Select is all I use now. It wipes the floor with any DE I’ve tried.

The Bic Metal and Gillette Guard are both great too, I just prefer two blades instead of one for the efficiency and speed.

Top Bottom