What's new

The Overlander

Hi guys

I own a Karve CB, D plate. I just recently learned about Karve's new razor, the Overlander. And I've read the great reviews about it.

I'm interested in getting one. I hear that it's a great head shaving razor and I routinely shave my head with the CB.

So a few questions:
1) Is it worth getting the Overlander if I already own the CB (D plate)
2) How would you compare the Blutt razor to the Overlander. I've seen comparisons between these razors and both pique my interest.
3) And finally, I have the CB in stainless steel. I'm thinking of buying the Overlander in the copper version. Aluminum is also an options. What do you guys recommend? I've never owned a copper razor before. Are they easy to maintain? How do I go about keeping them in good condition?

Thanks!

I’ll try and answer the questions I can.

1. I have the CB B, C and D (from the Daily Shaver kit). I’ve only used the B and C. The C works great for me, so I haven’t used the D yet.

I prefer the Overlander because I find it more comfortable and just as efficient as the C plate. But if you like the D plate on the CB and find it comfortable I’m not sure you’d gain much by using the Overlander.

The great thing about the Overlander is you can use it on autopilot and still get a nice, smooth shave. It’s extremely easy to use.

2. I have never used a Blutt so I can’t answer this one.

3. I have the copper Overlander but I’ve only used it 5-6 times so far. It looks nice, but it does take some effort to maintain. You need to dry all three pieces carefully after every shave if you want to avoid water spots (I’m not that picky about them personally, but I still do the drying). If you get spots you don’t want I’m sure you can polish them off with something like Flitz, but I haven’t done that yet.

I think the copper looks nice. It does seem to have a bit of drag compared to the stainless steel and brass models, but it doesn’t bother me.

If you are worried about maintenance, I would avoid copper. It's not hard to maintain and it's easy enough to polish, but it does require work in order to prevent blemishes and heavy patina. If you like that, go ahead. Otherwise SS and aluminum are your options, depending on the weight you prefer.

Hi guys

I own a Karve CB, D plate. I just recently learned about Karve's new razor, the Overlander. And I've read the great reviews about it.

I'm interested in getting one. I hear that it's a great head shaving razor and I routinely shave my head with the CB.

So a few questions:
2) How would you compare the Blutt razor to the Overlander. I've seen comparisons between these razors and both pique my interest.
3) And finally, I have the CB in stainless steel. I'm thinking of buying the Overlander in the copper version. Aluminum is also an options. What do you guys recommend? I've never owned a copper razor before. Are they easy to maintain? How do I go about keeping them in good condition?

Thanks!
I think the overlander is miles ahead of the CB in smoothness. In fact, it's one of the smoothest razors I've ever shaved with maybe only beat by the WR2 and the RS-10.
I have a copper one, but I'm going to let it patina. I'll looking forward to it developing blue/purple/green hues.

Hi guys

So a few questions:

Thanks!
Here's a picture of a copper razor with some patina:

I own the Overlander in copper, brass, SS, and aluminum.
For daily headshaves, I actually think the aluminum version is the smoothest and most nimble.
I love the natural patinas of the brass and copper.
Stainless is probably my least favorite.
Smoothest head shaver for me while yielding great efficiency.

I prefer the brass version of the Overlander. Best ATG pass I've ever experienced. The Blutt 120 is an excellent razor as well. Same type of performance from both.
This is 100% true. I remember using the Overlander for the first time, feeling my face after the WTG pass and thinking it wasn’t as efficient as I’d hoped. But after the XTG almost everything was gone. I’m not even sure I did an ATG pass after that. I now typically do 2.5 passes with it.

Just to clarify, I love the Overlander. It’s easily my favourite razor (I went a bit overboard and purchased 4 of them - SS, Bronze, Copper and Brass). But if you’re comfortable with the CB D plate, I’m not sure how much the Overlander will give you. It is more comfortable in my opinion, but it likely isn’t more efficient than a CB D plate.

For daily headshaves, I actually think the aluminum version is the smoothest and most nimble.
I love the natural patinas of the brass and copper.
Smoothest head shaver for me while yielding great efficiency.
I’ve heard other people say they thought the aluminium version was the best one. Like @Madmikey I have all the others but not aluminium! Of the heavier metals I do have I slightly prefer the feel of copper and brass/bronze but the steel one is going to be less maintenance, so pros and cons.

Either way, for me the Overlander is an exceptional razor and one of the very best available to give you a pretty efficient shave with the ability to buff to perfection without any irritation. It’s the first razor I would pick up if I need a perfect shave and I can’t risk any redness or weepers.

I sold my CB B, C and D plate razor as it required a shallow angle to use correctly. I'm a steep angle guy so it didn't suit me. Now the Overlander is a great razor....one of the best available ATG. It performs better using a steeper angle compared to the CB. I have the brass and SS models. It is very smooth and forgiving...and surprisingly efficient.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
i seem to get the same shave many of you are describing with the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate. I think that's because, after careful consideration and reading so much about the Overlander, I tend to the more steep angles. I don't think I ever found that perfect angle for the brass Overlander I had plated in 24K hardened gold @ Back Roads Gold.

I don't feel too bad about this. I did for a while because the Overlander is so highly recommended by people I trust here on B&B. A few of the razors I've collected along the way have moved on to happy owners. I'll be ordering a Wolfman as a result and I'm a bit excited about that. I can thank @Mr. Shavington for that. ;) I think I'm supposed to blame @Cal for it, so I'll drop his name as well :devil:

Edit: I only have the .86 base plate because when I purchased the Blutt BR-1 I ordered it with both the 1.20 and the .86 base plates. I just wasn't sure what would work the best for me. I use the 1.20 most of the time and actually prefer it. That is probably because I'm usually an every other day shaver or add a few extra days in between shaves. I wanted to see if the .86 base plate gave me a more hmmmmm "care-free" shave like so many who use the Overlander in that capacity. if I shaved every day, I'm confident the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate would be fine for that purpose. Every once in a while, we have a "leave-the-house" for an impromptu event and I need a fast, nick-free, comfortable yet close shave. I think the Overlander or the Blutt BR-1 .86 would suffice. I'm sure there are other razors out there that perform in like manner. It comes down to our individual whiskers, etc.

Last edited:
Why is the SS your least favourite? That's exactly the one I'm interested in buying.
Does it work different or it's just a material-related issue?

Why is the SS your least favourite? That's exactly the one I'm interested in buying.
Does it work different or it's just a material-related issue?
I know your question wasn’t directed to me, but I have both SS and Brass Overlanders and they both perform the same as far as the shave goes. The materials feel a little different but shave wise they are identical to me.

I have this razor in brass and I love it. I find the patina on the brass gorgeous. Can anyone post a picture of their copper overlander with patina. I am very interested in seeing what it looks like. This is one of my favorite razors, and it's a great head shaver for me.

Mine is only about 2.5 months old so it doesn’t have much patina yet unfortunately. I also rotate my razors quite a bit so it’s likely only been used about a dozen times. It’s darkened slightly but I don’t think it’s that noticeable yet.

I’m not sure the Overlander has been out in copper for very long, so there might not be any great patina examples yet unless someone has forced one.

Attachments

• EEB445D0-96A5-46DD-8C65-9E88FD7F0E36.jpeg
    EEB445D0-96A5-46DD-8C65-9E88FD7F0E36.jpeg
    894.9 KB · Views: 130
  • A10C2136-B8A4-4296-A4EC-1B43EA75FA27.jpeg
    A10C2136-B8A4-4296-A4EC-1B43EA75FA27.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 132
The Overlander is a great razor and it works really well as a daily razor. The only thing I don't like about it it's that for whatever reason I have a bit of a hard time shaving under my nose and around my lips. It's barely cutting in those areas and it drives me nuts. Other than that, it's great.

I know your question wasn’t directed to me, but I have both SS and Brass Overlanders and they both perform the same as far as the shave goes. The materials feel a little different but shave wise they are identical to me.
Finally the answer I’ve looked for. Thanks for all your post. They helped me narrow to the brass, and for longevity with less maintenance I’m considering the SS. I like it so much I want a backup, and yet a 3rd to put back for my son.

The Overlander is a great razor and it works really well as a daily razor. The only thing I don't like about it it's that for whatever reason I have a bit of a hard time shaving under my nose and around my lips. It's barely cutting in those areas and it drives me nuts. Other than that, it's great.
This is odd, because i consider it to be one of its many strengths - that and I can go against the grain on my upper lip with near impunity.

I'd play with the angle.

... Thom

Top Bottom