never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
365 Shaves in 2023: 10 of 10 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 9 of 10 = 90%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
View attachment 1586082
Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (1)
View attachment 1586084
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot) 🇮🇹
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap
View attachment 1586083
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (applied at bedtime)

Today, I reached for my Alpha Big Dog AC and Overall Razor: the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB. Paired with a fresh Schick Proline P blade and the wonderful GTC 25g Handle, this was an outstanding Top Tier shave. High marks on all of my personal shaving attributes: Efficient, Nimble & Maneuverable, Smooth and Predictable = a Highly Effective razor. As good as it gets!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the beautiful Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood brush. The SV brush checks all the right boxes!

Staying with Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance this week. Outstanding shaving software!

Superb Top Tier DFS++ shave! :cool:
I need to try the Clubman shave soap at some point. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I always smile when I see David use his Ti Vector. I know it's his favorite razor, period. I know he had a good shave when I see his photograph.

I have that same SV brush. I bought it on BST from @SgtCrppls . I know they are expensive but the SV brushes are my favorite, hands down. Obviously Doug didn't feel the same way. He told me.... loved the knot but the handle wasn't enjoyable for him. It was my first SV brush and lead me to buy a few more. Unless I'm doing DecemBOAR, they are the only brushes I use except adding the Zenith M23 Manchurian with a copper 506 handle. I throw that one in every so often because it's very close to the SV brushes at a modest price.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I always smile when I see David use his Ti Vector. I know it's his favorite razor, period. I know he had a good shave when I see his photograph.

I have that same SV brush. I bought it on BST from @SgtCrppls . I know they are expensive but the SV brushes are my favorite, hands down. Obviously Doug didn't feel the same way. He told me.... loved the knot but the handle wasn't enjoyable for him. It was my first SV brush and lead me to buy a few more. Unless I'm doing DecemBOAR, they are the only brushes I use except adding the Zenith M23 Manchurian with a copper 506 handle. I throw that one in every so often because it's very close to the SV brushes at a modest price.

Thank you, Kim. :)

Today was a very good shave.

How do you load a Saponificio Varesino brush in the small Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap tub? Patiently. Very patiently. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you, Kim. :)

Today was a very good shave.

How do you load a Saponificio Varesino brush in the small Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap tub? Patiently. Very patiently. ;)
That one is easy, David.... You don't. You use your wonderful Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl (or regular. I'm not sure which one you own) ;) I always scoop and bowl lather, but that's me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I load my brush from the puck and then build my lather in the wonderful Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl. :)
Scoop and smear takes more time and gets my fingers soapy. I'm too fussy about it all, I think. I don't like getting soap on the tub... in the threads for the cap. So for me, I put up with the soapy fingers I have to rinse off just to keep the soap containers pristine. Otherwise, I'd be cleaning the outside of every soap tub after I lather up from it. I'm not smooth enough to load a brush from a tub without getting soap everywhere.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Scoop and smear takes more time and gets my fingers soapy. I'm too fussy about it all, I think. I don't like getting soap on the tub... in the threads for the cap. So for me, I put up with the soapy fingers I have to rinse off just to keep the soap containers pristine. Otherwise, I'd be cleaning the outside of every soap tub after I lather up from it. I'm not smooth enough to load a brush from a tub without getting soap everywhere.
Using the Modified @Marco Method, I load with a fairly wet brush, tilting the tub about 2/3 of the way over so the overflow soap and water go into the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl. Yes, some soap can get in the threads. When I'm done loading, I run my fingers around the outside of the tub to collect any stray soap and add that to the Captain's Choice Bowl. Then I turn the tub upside down and rinse it off. Cleans the threads without getting any water in the tub.

Here is a full description of the Modified @Marco Method:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 11 of 11 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 10 of 11 = 91%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230111_151718~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (TiBam Radiator 80mm Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (2)
20230111_151914~2.jpg

Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (Heritage Manchurian knot)

20230111_151824~2.jpg

One of my favorite razors is Colonial Razors The General V2. The Schick Proline P blade matches up beautifully with The General V2. Paired up with the TiBam Radiator Ti Handle (shortened to 80mm by Doug @Rosseforp), this combination provided an outstanding Top Tier shave. Very close to the Ti and Stainless Vectors with high marks on all of my personal shaving attributes: Efficient, Nimble & Maneuverable, Smooth and Predictable = a Highly Effective razor. The General V2 is an Alpha Big Dog Honorable Mention razor. It is that good!

Went with the Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E, with Heritage Manchurian knot, for BADGERary 2023. This is an excellent brush that provides top tier performance!

Using Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance this week. Outstanding shaving software!

365 Shaves in 2023: 10 of 10 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 9 of 10 = 90%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
View attachment 1586082
Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (1)
View attachment 1586084
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot) 🇮🇹

View attachment 1586083

Today, I reached for my Alpha Big Dog AC and Overall Razor: the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB. Paired with a fresh Schick Proline P blade and the wonderful GTC 25g Handle, this was an outstanding Top Tier shave. High marks on all of my personal shaving attributes: Efficient, Nimble & Maneuverable, Smooth and Predictable = a Highly Effective razor. As good as it gets!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the beautiful Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood brush. The SV brush checks all the right boxes!

Staying with Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance this week. Outstanding shaving software!

How do you like the Clubman soap?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the Clubman soap?

The Clubman soap is very good. Easy to lather. Slick and protective. Post shave face feel is very nice.

When I was on a plane every week in a different hotel and city (prior to retirement), Clubman was my travel soap. When @Cal reviewed it, I was reminded of how good Clubman soap performs. Dug it out of my dopp bag and, sure enough, it performs at a very decent level.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Figured I'd update my Alpha Big Dog Razors:

Alpha Big Dog Razors:

Overall #1: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle

AC Blade: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle
AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTx or Ti Handle
AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Colonial Razors The General V2, GTx or Ti Handle
AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Above The Tie X1 Slant, Ti Handle

DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird, GTx or Ti Handle
DE (Current - Adjustable): Rocnel Sailor
DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), GTx or Ti Handle
DE (Vintage - Honorable Mention): Gillette Pre-War Tech (Canada), GTx or Ti Handle

GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2, GTx or Ti Handle
GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
GEM (Vintage - Honorable Mention): GEM Feather Weight

SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 12 of 12 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 11 of 12 = 92%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230112_134719~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (RazoRock Ti Halo 80mm Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (3)
20230112_134757~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B Team (Shavemac 24mm 3-band Silvertip)

20230111_151824~2.jpg

Going with my Colonial Razors The General V2 again today. Stayed with the Schick Proline P blade. Trying out the RazoRock Ti Halo Handle that was shortened to 80mm by Doug @Rosseforp. Same results as yesterday: An outstanding Top Tier shave that is very close to the Ti and Stainless Vectors. A superb razor in all respects!

The Rudy Vey B&B Team (Shavemac 24mm 3-band Silvertip) brush is a very comfortable, high performing brush!

Using Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance this week. Outstanding shaving software!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 13 of 13 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 12 of 13 = 92%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Clubman Friday
20230113_142359~2.jpg

Razor: Shield Polished Ti AC Razor (RazoRock Ti Halo 80mm Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (4)
20230113_135841~2.jpg

Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best

20230111_151820~2.jpg

The Shield Polished Ti AC Razor is an interesting AC blade razor. This is my third shave with the Shield. Still learning its idiosyncrasies. Stayed with the Schick Proline P blade - an excellent match. Went with the RazoRock Ti Halo Handle that was shortened to 80mm by Doug @Rosseforp - nice balance and control. The quality of my shaves with the Shield is excellent. Still debating where to place the Shield in relation to my Top 5 AC blade razors. More to follow.

The Simpson The Duke 2 in Best is a great little brush! Love it!

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 14 of 14 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 13 of 14 = 93%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230114_181438~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (TiBam Ti Radiator 80mm Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (5)
20230114_181617~2.jpg

Brush: Opal 100 in Best

20230111_151820~2.jpg

The ATT X1 Slant resides in my Top 4 AC blade razors. The Schick Proline P blade is an excellent match. So is the TiBam Ti Radiator Handle that was shortened to 80mm by Doug @Rosseforp - nice balance and control. The ATT X1 Slant is a Big Dog that provides consistently superb shaves.

The Opal 100 in Best reminds me of the Simpson The Duke 2 in Best. Like The Duke 2, the Opal 100 is a great little brush!

Last day using Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance. I'll decide on next week's shaving software prior to Sunday's shave.

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 15 of 15 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 14 of 15 = 93%
Single Edge Sunday
20230115_155605~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (TiBam Ti Radiator 80mm Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (6)
20230115_155800~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)

Lather: Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino
20230115_155639~2.jpg

Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Went with the ATT X1 Slant, TiBam Ti Radiator Handle (shortened to 80mm by @Rosseforp), Schick Proline P blade combination today. A superb razor that can be easily used every day.

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. I love this handle - it's very easy to grip. The Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan is an excellent knot. Overall, an excellent brush and one of my favorite Badger brushes!

First use of Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino. Lovely soap. I'll comment further after I've used it all week.

This week's Aftershave is Pinaud Clubman - a classic that never gets old.

I will change up my Fragrance each day as the mood strikes. Today I'm going with Cuba Orange EdT Spray. Definitely a favorite!
Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

Top Bottom