What's new

šŸ˜¬ Brace rule

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
GOA has already said they're going to fight it in court. I'm trying to figure out what the 120 days to file tax free means if it's upheld. I wonder if that means there will be new class tax stamp or that we'll all have to register them as SBR's? Not that I have any AR pistols or braces. I lost them all in that tragic boating accident.

Edit: looks like theyā€™d have to be registered as SBRā€™s.
Ā 
Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What still continues to boggle my mind is all these laws only impact the law abiding citizen. Once a crazy guy decides to shoot up a place the last thing on his mind is worrying about is getting caught with extended mags, bump stocks or braces. With that kind of mentality itā€™s obvious a total firearm ban is the end game they are shooting for.

I know Iā€™m preaching to the choir, but man, itā€™s really infuriating.
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Maybe we can all register them as SBRs for free and then take the braces to local buy back programs and make money off of this whole thing. I mean, the braces are obviously dangerous, right? Iā€™m sure someone will offer money to buy them back. Not that I have any, boating accident and all.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
What still continues to boggle my mind is all these laws only impact the law abiding citizen. Once a crazy guy decides to shoot up a place the last thing on his mind is worrying about is getting caught with extended mags, bump stocks or braces. With that kind of mentality itā€™s obvious a total firearm ban is the end game they are shooting for.

I know Iā€™m preaching to the choir, but man, itā€™s really infuriating.

:)
Ā 
I donā€™t want to push any pain buttons but no SBR regulations in my neck of the woods :001_tt2:

321CDDBB-8D3D-4F43-917F-2B72C326ABAB.jpeg

7CD0B9CE-E60D-422E-9A66-B0E64B5BC9FB.jpeg
Ā 

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So is it like a SBR upper that is a harmless paperweight until itā€™s installed?

I have half contemplated buying an upper and keeping it just for ā€œemergenciesā€ when getting busted with it installed on a lower is the least of my worries.
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Kentos, IIRC, just having the components to be able to assemble a full auto weapon without a tax stamp is an NFA violation, I would think any NFA scenario would be the same, but I could be wrong?

My thought is that if you have to pay the tax stamp to have a pistol brace, you might as well have a real stock.

I hate to further register anything under the current administration. I'm sure there will be further challenges to this unconstitutional action. I think I'll wait this one out for a while.
Ā 

OkieStubble

@Kentos, IIRC, just having the components to be able to assemble a full auto weapon without a tax stamp is an NFA violation, I would think any NFA scenario would be the same, but I could be wrong?

My thought is that if you have to pay the tax stamp to have a pistol brace, you might as well have a real stock.

I hate to further register anything under the current administration. I'm sure there will be further challenges to this unconstitutional action. I think I'll wait this one out for a while.

Good post. But there will be plenty of people who always panic too quickly and will run to unload their AR pistols.

Get ā€˜em while their cheap! :)

One manā€™s fear, is another manā€™s fortune.
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Honestly, with the limitations placed on AR pistols as far as accessories go if they allow me to register mine as an SBR for free and with expedited paperwork I might take them up on it. Iā€™ve got an extra brace thatā€™s not currently on a lower. I wonder if id have to register the brace or attach it to a lower.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Honestly, with the limitations placed on AR pistols as far as accessories go if they allow me to register mine as an SBR for free and with expedited paperwork I might take them up on it. Iā€™ve got an extra brace thatā€™s not currently on a lower. I wonder if id have to register the brace or attach it to a lower.

Makes sense to me. Isnā€™t ATF rule canā€™t be under 26ā€ for SBR and canā€™t be over 26ā€ for pistol?
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble What barrel length? Direct impingement? If I end up eventually SBR'ing my BO build lower, I probably will build a 5.56/.223 upper to go with it and perhaps a Superlative Arms piston drive.
Ā 

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Makes sense to me. Isnā€™t ATF rule canā€™t be under 26ā€ for SBR and canā€™t be over 26ā€ for pistol?

SBR is barrel under 16inches and overall length under 26inches. The pistol definition always baffles me. I read it as you can have a pistol with a 4ft barrel and it would still be a pistol until you put a forward grip on it then it becomes a rifle?
Ā 
Top Bottom