What's new

Is there anyone in NYC who can teach me to hone and strop?

Hello fellow straight razor enthusiasts,

I am new to straight razor shaving and I am interested to know if anybody could recommend straight razor honing workshops, classes or private tutors near Manhattan New York City, covering sharpening, polishing, proper honing technique, stropping etc. I would love to learn from a fellow enthusiast willing to spend a few hours teaching a novice the basics.

I think if you can teach to use a SR then you should have no trouble teaching yourself to hone.

Do a search here for "The Method" technique. Guys here report having success on the first attempt when they follow it to the letter. :)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I believe @rbscebu was trying to find out if there was a need for an online honing course but even if he didn't get one done he could certainly give you a few pointers

I don't know of anyone that teaches. Here is a link to shops that offer straight razor shaves; maybe one of them will help you:

There may be some on this forum that were taught, but I think most of us have learned on our own. There are numerous videos and I do not think that straight razor shaving is that difficult. I also think that you cannot learn to hone while learning to shave. You need to start off with a professionally honed razor in order to shave well. And you learn to strop the razor as you go along. It will be some time before the razor needs to be honed again. You can always send it out again or pick up some stones and cheap razors to learn how to hone. And remember, despite any claims, most new razors are not shave ready and need to be honed. Hope that helps.

I am new to straight razor shaving and I am interested to know if anybody could recommend straight razor honing workshops, classes or private tutors near Manhattan New York City, covering sharpening, polishing, proper honing technique, stropping etc. I would love to learn from a fellow enthusiast willing to spend a few hours teaching a novice the basics.

Badger And Blade is segregated into various parts.

Try these two:

There may be some on this forum that were taught, but I think most of us have learned on our own. There are numerous videos and I do not think that straight razor shaving is that difficult. I also think that you cannot learn to hone while learning to shave. You need to start off with a professionally honed razor in order to shave well. And you learn to strop the razor as you go along. It will be some time before the razor needs to be honed again. You can always send it out again or pick up some stones and cheap razors to learn how to hone. And remember, despite any claims, most new razors are not shave ready and need to be honed. Hope that helps.

This!

As long as you are prepared to read through the boards here, go slow, and exhibit two essential qualities: patience and attentiveness, you'll pick it up yourself. Expect to make a few mistakes on the way, we all did (and that's what a beater razor is for), but otherwise it is not that difficult.

Good luck. It is a tonne of fun and there is nothing as satisfying as a great shave off your own edge! :badger:

PM me, let´s talk.

Hello Billhanna,

I have a 6/8 Ralf Aust I ordered from Razor Emporium, I tried the hanging hair test when I received the razor and it failed. I decided I would try it on my face even after failing the test. It kind of skipped around and cut here and there. This was the first time in my life I have taken a straight razor to my face. The combo of poor technique and dull blade made for a pretty raw face. I'm not discouraged since I am aware there is a learning curve.

Hello Billhanna,

I have a 6/8 Ralf Aust I ordered from Razor Emporium, I tried the hanging hair test when I received the razor and it failed. I decided I would try it on my face even after failing the test. It kind of skipped around and cut here and there. This was the first time in my life I have taken a straight razor to my face. The combo of poor technique and dull blade made for a pretty raw face. I'm not discouraged since I am aware there is a learning curve.
Same here, man. I have a buddy sending me some that he will get shave ready, so I have a reference. Here’s to us learning 🍻

Same here, man. I have a buddy sending me some that he will get shave ready, so I have a reference. Here’s to us learning 🍻
Yeah I was all excited when I opened the box thinking I was going to start smoothly clear the hair with no issues. My first experience felt more like taking a weed eater through thick grass, it was more of a tangling scraping experience. I was kind of surprised how small and light the 6/8 was. I was expecting the blade to be heavier.

Top Bottom