What's new

I finally tried an alum block and…

Geofatboy gave me an introduction to de shaving. He used alum block. I ordered the cheapest i could find. Still using the same one ever since. Works miracles on my skin. I can do a shave without now and then, but then i need an aftershave. Alum is the cheapest and most effective aftershave treatment.

Geofatboy gave me an introduction to de shaving. He used alum block. I ordered the cheapest i could find. Still using the same one ever since. Works miracles on my skin. I can do a shave without now and then, but then i need an aftershave. Alum is the cheapest and most effective aftershave treatment.
You can do what you want but it's probably better to rinse it off and then use your aftershave of choice. I prefer balms as they also contain moisturizers.

You can do what you want but it's probably better to rinse it off and then use your aftershave of choice. I prefer balms as they also contain moisturizers.
Couldn’t agree more. A good balm is the perfect finish. My favorite balms so far are from Wholly Kaw, they’re extremely moisturizing.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
…. I’m mad at myself for not doing this earlier! I was always a bit nervous about using an alum block because I have sensitive skin and thought the “burn” would be too over the top. So, I just stuck with the roll-on Nick Stick for weepers and cuts (which doesn’t work very well IMHO) and just aftershave balm. Problem was, I still had irritation more times than not that lasted way longer than I thought it should.

So, this last week I was back in OKC and stopped at Carwin’s Shave Shop to get another shave cream and started talking about things with the gentleman working there. He looked at me kind of surprised like and asked, “how come you don’t use an alum block?” So I told him my reasons. Which, apparently were founded mostly in falsehood. He schooled me a bit, so I bought a ToOBS alum block and headed back to my hotel excited for the afternoon shave.

What an awesome post-shave experience! I rinsed my face in cold water, got all the cream residue off, and started sliding the alum block over my wet face. Holy cow! Yeah, there was some burn, but I could feel my pores tighten, and the couple weepers I had on my neck instantly stopped. The burn didn’t last long and was not nearly as intense as I’d anticipated. I let it set on my face for about 45 seconds and then rinsed it off with cold water. The redness left on my face, usually pretty prominent for about an hour after a shave was just about nil. I applied my aftershave balm and my face felt amazing. I have used the alum block in my last eight shaves and will never NOT use it!

what a game changer!

Thanks for listening.

Welcome to B&B my fine grasshopper, for you have learned the ways of the alum block, may the facial toning be with you!

:a45:

The redness and irritation comes from the dark side, the alum block is your solid defense against the dark arts. Be gone redness you said, and the redness was gone, this is the power of alum.

Before I began my first foyay into the arts of traditional wet shaving, and became a grasshopper to join the elite wet shavers of this amazing community, I learned of the powers of the alum block. I took a vow to use it for all my shaves, and it has done amazing for me. I wouldn't imagine doing it any other way. And I even go a step further, and add the witch hazel application after a shave, prior to using an aftershave balm. You don't need to with a splash though, because splashes have witch hazel in them.

Some people forget, the post shave treatment, is equally as important, as the pre-shave prep treatment. Carrying for ones face is absolutely essential. And I've learned a lot these past 8-months, and through out all the garbage I had to unlearn, from using carts most of my life, and canned goo. Do not worry, you will become a wet shaving jedi knight in no time, I have complete faith in you fine grasshopper!

Just remember, when applying lather, wax on, and wax off. 😁
Ralph Macchio 80S Movies GIF

Maybe a silly question, but isn’t aluminum bad for us? Want putting it on our skin after shaving get it into our systems easily?
Alum is basically a salt, not elemental aluminum. It's used in some food preparation. For instance, it helps make pickles crisp. It's been used since ancient times in industries like dyeing fabric or tanning leather. It's also used in making paper and in other industries. It's used in water treatment.

Elemental aluminum (metal) can be bad for us in sufficient concentration. This is more of a concern for workers with long-term occupational exposure.

I use a Barbero alum block after every shave. It is one that is cut out of a block. The cheaper pressed ones work fine, but I prefer this one. It is a relatively large block and is reasonably inexpensive for a cut block. I twist a wide rubber band around one end to make it easier to hold. I would not shave without using an alum block. Rinse your face and the alum block in cold water and go for it. Rinse your face and the block with cold water when done. Dry and apply aftershave. Lasts a long long time.

Osma is the only decent one I found. The others crumble.

That said, I only use it as a razor and brush finger gripper.

I never got any benefit from using it as a post shave routine.

1673017824269.png
Razor Blades and More used to sell one this size called the "Monster Block". After they stopped, I searched and found this type. Works extremely well and costs anywhere from $7 to more depending on where you purchase it. Many of the healthy, organic stores sell it. I have several as backups and have been using my latest since 2020.

marty

Crystal deodorant and cheap, grocery store blocks are ammonium alum and they dry my skin so badly that even a moisturiser doesn't recover it!
I'm guessing it may have been a reaction rather than just dryness.
But I've used them as deodorant for years.

I recently got a total 1kg of large potassium alum chunks to use as deodorant as it's easier on the skin.
I'm going to try a new chunk after shaving and see if my skin reacts the same way it did to the ammonium alum.

An essential part of the routine for me. Osma is the way to go. My current bloc is at least 5 years old and still going strong. Just one corner knocked off following a fairly recent drop onto the granite counter.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm glad you found a successful post shave treatment. Now let's see if we can't minimize the need for one. Irritation and weepers almost always come from either too much pressure or the wrong razor angle - or both. In your shoes I would definitely use less pressure, lessen it a bit and then cut that in half. Razor angle will take a bit of experimenting.

Good luck with your shaves.

POTASSIUM ALUM TRIAL #1

I used the potassium alum today and there was hardly any sting! I was surprised at this as ammonium alum stung like hell.

Second surprise was that my skin didn't dry out after alum. I applied my aftershave balm and half a day later, my skin is hydrated and supple.

Next major test will be tomorrow morning. Ammonium alum dried out my skin so badly that shaving the next morning felt horrible due to skin dryness.

If all goes well with tomorrow's shave, I'll definitely continue using potassium alum on a daily basis as I really enjoyed the feeling on the skin today.

I'll update how it goes tomorrow.
If all goes well, I'll use a file tool to shape a smooth block from a larger chunk.

Crystal deodorant and cheap, grocery store blocks are ammonium alum and they dry my skin so badly that even a moisturiser doesn't recover it!
I'm guessing it may have been a reaction rather than just dryness.
But I've used them as deodorant for years.

I recently got a total 1kg of large potassium alum chunks to use as deodorant as it's easier on the skin.
I'm going to try a new chunk after shaving and see if my skin reacts the same way it did to the ammonium alum.

Thankfully I don't need to use alum. I feel a cold water rinse works better for me. Alum generally doesn't work on weepers, either, so if you do get a deeper cut the cyptic pencil will be the only thing that makes it stop. I have and used alum in the past but find it doesn't provide much benefit to me these days any better than an ice cold rinse.

POTASSIUM ALUM TRIAL #1

I used the potassium alum today and there was hardly any sting! I was surprised at this as ammonium alum stung like hell.

Second surprise was that my skin didn't dry out after alum. I applied my aftershave balm and half a day later, my skin is hydrated and supple.

Next major test will be tomorrow morning. Ammonium alum dried out my skin so badly that shaving the next morning felt horrible due to skin dryness.

If all goes well with tomorrow's shave, I'll definitely continue using potassium alum on a daily basis as I really enjoyed the feeling on the skin today.

I'll update how it goes tomorrow.
If all goes well, I'll use a file tool to shape a smooth block from a larger chunk.

Nav, it's encouraging to hear that a POTASSIUM alum block worked for you. I remember when you initially tried the AMMONIUM based one and it wasn't pretty-kinda like how my face felt the 1st and last time I used magic shave except your skin didn't melt off the first layer.

The LAFE's DEODORANT Stone pic I posted is only POTASSIUM alum; I'm on my 2nd one in about 8years or so and haven't had any issues with using it for both purposes.

marty

Reactions: nav
Nav, it's encouraging to hear that a POTASSIUM alum block worked for you. I remember when you initially tried the AMMONIUM based one and it wasn't pretty-kinda like how my face felt the 1st and last time I used magic shave except your skin didn't melt off the first layer.

The LAFE's DEODORANT Stone pic I posted is only POTASSIUM alum; I'm on my 2nd one in about 8years or so and haven't had any issues with using it for both purposes.

marty

I used lafe's as deodorant many years ago. I didn't know about the difference between potassium and ammonium back then so I didn't think to try it after shaving.

Where I live, I got 1kg of potassium alum chunks (about 200g each) for $4.
I use it daily as a deodorant but if my shave goes all well tomorrow, I'll be using alum after shaving permanently!

I'll have to smooth them out though as the chunks are raggedy sharp!

Top Bottom