What's new

The 2023: 1-Blade, 1-Week, Daily Shaving Adventure

Well, my week with the Statum blade could technically be called a fail. Not the blades fault, though. I wound up with some irritation and redness from a reaction to some soap and the cold weather that came back in and had to resort to the old electric shaver for a couple of days to keep the irritation from getting worse. I got 4 shaves out of the blade, though. Better than my luck with Feather blades at least. I'll still bin the blade tomorrow and start with something else if the face allows it. ;)

I would not call it fail. More like a call for technical considerations.

When everything is hunky-dory again, start a new week on the same day with a brand new Statum blade.

There are certainly many reasons why a week might get interrupted. Not a big deal, we have lots of weeks left this year!

As you see, we now have two down already. I plan to maybe take any blades that fail and give them another chance, in the 2nd half of the year.

Let us know how your "week" ends...
Well, long story medium...
I switched to the other, unused, edge and it felt about as rough as the edge with 4 shaves. Not terrible, but it was actually missing hairs that even the used edge wasn't. I gave myself mild irritation so I pulled out the magnification. I get criticised for going this far, but extraordinarily strange circumstances require extraordinarily nerdy solutions. There were burrs on both edges so I pulled the blade. Could I have kept using it? Yes, but the amount of extra work would equal more irritation than I want to deal with. So one of the edges was damaged out of package, not a first for me despite the love for PPI blades on here. Back to something reliable...

Well, I used my electric razor this morning, but my plan is to get a touch up in this afternoon with the new blade. Probably just a WTG pass. I'm sure I'll need one. The electric cuts close with no problems, but the hair grows back much quicker than with a blade.

Week 2: Astra "Blue" (Superior Stainless). Only tried this blade once before, didn't necessarily love it and preferred the Green SP.

Week 2: Astra "Blue" (Superior Stainless). Only tried this blade once before, didn't necessarily love it and preferred the Green SP.

The Astra Superior Stainless was one of the blades that I had in a daily rotation for the last 6-months of 2022.

As of the end of the year, I had five blades remaing from 2022. Three had one shave left to make the full 8-shaves and two have 4-shaves each left. I figured that I would keep them handy. I could use them to fill in any left over shave days if my blade of the week needs to be retired (off the record for 2023 of course).

The Superior Stainless had given me 7-fine shaves, to this point.

It will get another opportunity again in 2023, along with the Superior Platinum.

As I recall, the Stainless was sharp, not necessarily harsh, but still not as refined as the Platinum. We will see what your experience will be...

My blade last week was a Bic CP. It's still going. Gonna try for another week

Excellent, we now have confirmation from your most esteemed testimony that the BIC CP met the full 1-Week, 1-Blade challenge.

You note that after the conclusion of this week, that the blade is still in acceptable shape for more shaves, good to know.

Remember, that even if a blade is still functional after this weekly challenge, it is no longer eligible for further posts in this thread.

This thread's objective is but a single purpose. Can a blade last for 1-Week and Seven (or more) shaves, within that week only?

Please refer any further posts from that blade to one of the threads dedicated to blade longetivity.

Thank You!

You can post to this thread with any brand new DE blade, even if it is the same type of blade.

I think this is useful because it shows consistency in the blade and in the shavers, technique.

Astra "Blue" (Superior Stainless). Only tried this blade once before, didn't necessarily love it and preferred the Green SP.

As a bit of trivia. I came across a new YouTube video by GeoFatboy of Shave Nation. He was doing the video on the top ten best selling items from Shave Nation in 2022.

Counting down from #10, the Astra Superior Platinum (Green), was their #9 rated best seller. Feather Hi Stainless was the only other blade to make the top ten and it made the top three.

People are all over the place on their feelings for the Platinum but the numbers speak for themselves.

Excellent, we now have confirmation from your most esteemed testimony that the BIC CP met the full 1-Week, 1-Blade challenge.

You note that after the conclusion of this week, that the blade is still in acceptable shape for more shaves, good to know.

Remember, that even if a blade is still functional after this weekly challenge, it is no longer eligible for further posts in this thread.

This thread's objective is but a single purpose. Can a blade last for 1-Week and Seven (or more) shaves, within that week only?

Please refer any further posts from that blade to one of the threads dedicated to blade longetivity.

Thank You!

You can post to this thread with any brand new DE blade, even if it is the same type of blade.

I think this is useful because it shows consistency in the blade and in the shavers, technique.
Got it. I'll keep playing. This week will be Derby Extra. I start my weeks on Sundays but haven't had my Monday shave yet

Got it. I'll keep playing. This week will be Derby Extra. I start my weeks on Sundays but haven't had my Monday shave yet

Excellent! It will be interesting how the Derby Extra works out for you.

The Extra has a most universal reputation as a smooth blade but also as a very dull blade.

My understanding is that they did make some changes in the blade around 2017 and improved the sharpness. I believe that all blades manufactured after this point have the logo artwork arranged vertically on the tuck label, as in the photo below.

proxy.php

I haven't encountered any sharpness issues with these blades. However, zip did have to pull this blade last year after several shaves.

I will be using the Extra and the Premium again in this year's challenge. Curious to see how long it will last for you?

Excellent! It will be interesting how the Derby Extra works out for you.

The Extra has a most universal reputation as a smooth blade but also as a very dull blade.

My understanding is that they did make some changes in the blade around 2017 and improved the sharpness. I believe that all blades manufactured after this point have the logo artwork arranged vertically on the tuck label, as in the photo below.

proxy.php

I haven't encountered any sharpness issues with these blades. However, zip did have to pull this blade last year after several shaves.

I will be using the Extra and the Premium again in this year's challenge. Curious to see how long it will last for you?
I believe it's the opposite re: the packaging. I have a brand new 200 pack. I've heard lots about these blades but in use they have been smooth and sharp for me even against a very rough beard. This is my test blade and usual daily driver. I sometimes wonder if people just used them without knowing their rep leads to a different result. I'll let you know how the week goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_010937739.jpg
    IMG_20230110_010937739.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 3
I believe it's the opposite re: the packaging. I have a brand new 200 pack. I've heard lots about these blades but in use they have been smooth and sharp for me even against a very rough beard. This is my test blade and usual daily driver. I sometimes wonder if people just used them without knowing their rep leads to a different result. I'll let you know how the week goes.

See my photo. They are the original Derby Extras, which can be bought in individual tucks or as an entire sleeve as in the photo. The Extras are commonly referred to as the "Green's".

From what I gather, to further confuse everyone, they have now made these same Extras available on a larger bulk sleeve consisting of 200-blades. They are packaged in a blue sleeve .

proxy.php

The individual tucks have a horizontal orientation but now come with a blue background.

The above photo is from the Amazon listing with the following description:

Derby Extra Double Razor Blades, 200 Count

Continuing to confuse us. The description also describes them as having 5 packs total, with 5-blades in an individual pack and each packet having 40-blades, which would mean 8-tucks of 5-blades each.

Features & details​

• Each individual package is sealed and contains 5 blades
  • Each blade is individually wax paper wrapped
  • Each packet includes 40 sealed packages of 5 derby extra blades which is a total of 200 double edge blades
  • Item Package Dimension: 5.0" L x 4.0" W x 3.0" H
Though this clearly is not the large sleeve shown in the photo.

Feather has two different package colors for their Hi Stainless blades. The black pack contains 5-blades and the yellow pack contains 10-blades. The blades themselves are the same in either package.

Dorco does the same kind of thing. Only they have a cardboard package for the ST300 and a plastic package for the ST301's. In each case, the blades are the same.

But to still further confuse us, we now have the Green's available in a more environmentally friendly, plastic free version.

proxy.php

Which you now have to look for more carefully. Because this is the style box that they use for the Derby Professional version, which are half-blades for barbershops.

proxy.php

So there we are...

See my photo. They are the original Derby Extras, which can be bought in individual tucks or as an entire sleeve as in the photo. The Extras are commonly referred to as the "Green's".

From what I gather, to further confuse everyone, they have now made these same Extras available on a larger bulk sleeve consisting of 200-blades. They are packaged in a blue sleeve .

proxy.php

The individual tucks have a horizontal orientation but now come with a blue background.

The above photo is from the Amazon listing with the following description:

Derby Extra Double Razor Blades, 200 Count

Continuing to confuse us. The description also describes them as having 5 packs total, with 5-blades in an individual pack and each packet having 40-blades, which would mean 8-tucks of 5-blades each.

Features & details​

• Each individual package is sealed and contains 5 blades
  • Each blade is individually wax paper wrapped
  • Each packet includes 40 sealed packages of 5 derby extra blades which is a total of 200 double edge blades
  • Item Package Dimension: 5.0" L x 4.0" W x 3.0" H
Though this clearly is not the large sleeve shown in the photo.

Feather has two different package colors for their Hi Stainless blades. The black pack contains 5-blades and the yellow pack contains 10-blades. The blades themselves are the same in either package.

Dorco does the same kind of thing. Only they have a cardboard package for the ST300 and a plastic package for the ST301's. In each case, the blades are the same.

But to still further confuse us, we now have the Green's available in a more environmentally friendly, plastic free version.

proxy.php

Which you now have to look for more carefully. Because this is the style box that they use for the Derby Professional version, which are half-blades for barbershops.

proxy.php

So there we are...
Post '16 greens have horizontal labels and 5 per tuck. I've had them all. The 100 or 200 pack, green or blue says new blade technology. All have been good to me. Can't wait to try the USTA. Also available in full and half blades.

Post '16 greens have horizontal labels and 5 per tuck. I've had them all.

I don't believe this to be the case. The earlier photo I posted on the Green's is from the current Amazon listing. If you order from Amazon, these are the blades you get.

Traditionally, razor blade tucks have had a horizontal orientation. Every single other blade I have in my collection has a horizontal orientation.

The reason Derby changed to the vertical orientation is so people could know that these are the newer revised blades.

I don't believe this to be the case. The earlier photo I posted on the Green's is from the current Amazon listing. If you order from Amazon, these are the blades you get.

Traditionally, razor blade tucks have had a horizontal orientation. Every single other blade I have in my collection has a horizontal orientation.

The reason Derby changed to the vertical orientation is so people could know that these are the newer revised blades.
My friend, I've personally had them. My pics are from my stock. I ran out greens of both orientation. See that red new on the eco friendly? It's on the side of the blue sleeve you can't see in the pic but absent on the vertical greens. Feather has vertical tucks so who knows what Derby was going after before. Google knows but we will have to agree to disagree.

My friend, I've personally had them. My pics are from my stock. I ran out greens of both orientation. See that red new on the eco friendly? It's on the side of the blue sleeve you can't see in the pic but absent on the vertical greens. Feather has vertical tucks so who knows what Derby was going after before. Google knows but we will have to agree to disagree.

I have Derby blades too. They look like the ones I posted.

When you do a Google search these are the package you see pictured.

However, The "New" is not on either mine nor is it on any of these others.

Now we know that the blue package is a new package and color.

Is it possible that after 5-years, they are again returning to the horizontal label orientation?

This might be my take?

I can tell you that for the last few years, the label orientation has been vertical.

I see your photos. I think they have changed again and you do have the latest version.

In looking, I found yet another's package.

proxy.php

Have no idea if this is new or very old? I have seen a red package from back in 2013.

The razor blade industry is impossibly difficult to keep up with. One day they are owned by one company and the next day, another. Same with manufacturing, one country to another to another...

Well, today should be shave #5 on the Astra SS "blue" blade, but I don't think I hate myself enough yet to try it. It feels dull and rough- honestly, it felt that way from the first day and never got any better. Think I'll toss it and play again with something else on Sunday.

Well, today should be shave #5 on the Astra SS "blue" blade, but I don't think I hate myself enough yet to try it. It feels dull and rough- honestly, it felt that way from the first day and never got any better. Think I'll toss it and play again with something else on Sunday.

It's funny. Many like the Blue Stainless better than the Green Platinum. The reason being, they feel it is sharper? Go figure?

Well, you tried! See you next week...

Top Bottom