What's new

Packing for Travel

Was kind of wondering how I would hang the brush to dry… rubber band is a good idea!
They also sell a suction cup mount that you could get at like walmart that you could just stick on the mirror at the hotel which is what I do . They take very little space in your bag...Something like this...
61D0duekeBL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I actually use some at home too . I have a couple of brushes and some DE and SE razors stuck around the edge of my bathroom mirror to conserve counter space.. There are many different types of the mounts and pick the ones that work best size wise for you ..

I’m saving $30 by not checking a bag and reluctantly going with a guard disposable. 😩
I’m going to test my packing light and want to avoid waiting around at the baggage carousel. So carry on is the call. I like the idea of a shave stick to avoid the liquid limit. I’ll risk a small travel bottle for aftershave. I mean I’m carrying on im
Not completely uncivilized. 😎
Get the cologne solid sticks..

Here’s a new thread that everyone should read before taking a safety razor in your carry-on bag:

Even taking the razor apart might not be good enough.

Good luck.

Travel kits are all part of the fun of shaving.
Mines relatively simple I have a leather roll up which I got on eBay for £5 and threw in the washing machine to freshen it up.
Inside I have two straight razors, a slim piece of coticule stone and a slurry stone in case I need a touch up. Then I have my wash bag with a tub of soap, usually Proraso or Taylor’s a nice badger brush and my toothbrush and paste.
My strop is a 2inch wide 18 inch long piece of green English bridle leather which I got from Scrupleworks which fits flat even in my small carry on case.
In 2022 the kits been with me through several trips to London, a couple of trips to Dubai and a trip to Japan where I had a spectacular view of Mount Fuji from my hotel window. Great shaves we’re had in every place.

Checked bag, definitely. Too many hassles with carry-on luggage these days so I go minimal and hope for the best. I haven't had an issue yet. However, I did have one of my bags alarm for "explosives material" during an x-ray so they had to swab the inside of my bag. They suspected the shave soap tubs.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Checked bag, definitely. Too many hassles with carry-on luggage these days so I go minimal and hope for the best. I haven't had an issue yet. However, I did have one of my bags alarm for "explosives material" during an x-ray so they had to swab the inside of my bag. They suspected the shave soap tubs.
With packed flights these days and seemingly everyone having carry on. And my perspective is that people abuse with multiple large carry on bags I worried about having enough overhead space.

So, had a great trip to Jamaica, along w/3 nice shaves from my pre-war Tech razor, using Proraso pre-shave, shave soap, and after shave balm, and a Derby blade.

Considering swapping out the Tech to my "regular suspects" home razors collection, and swapping in an Edwin Jagger E89 or Merkur 42c. Whaddaya think?

-Z

So, had a great trip to Jamaica, along w/3 nice shaves from my pre-war Tech razor, using Proraso pre-shave, shave soap, and after shave balm, and a Derby blade.

Considering swapping out the Tech to my "regular suspects" home razors collection, and swapping in an Edwin Jagger E89 or Merkur 42c. Whaddaya think?

-Z
Always nice to bring a bit of luxury from home with you :)

TSA has a lot of good people in it but, if you fly enough you will meet those "special" TSA agents with a chip on their shoulder or just a bad attitude from a divorce/child custody hearing/bad traffic/fight with...

Fighting the "past war" is the best way to lose the next one IMHO.

The focus on a 70+ year-old grandparent going through TSA to avoid the appearance of profiling totally misses the point IMHO. Israel doesn't focus only on superficial things like your toothpaste tube being slightly oversized. Heck, I can fly with a Lithium-Ion 26650 battery and start a pretty good fire with one if I was so inclined. Israeli profiling works for air travel but, heaven forbid the USA profile risk threats for closer scrutiny when you can confiscate a half-consumed 500ml bottle of water or a half-used tube of toothpaste!

Personally, generally, I'm going to travel with a better quality disposable ~3-blade razor and a small stick of hard soap. A small dish or container of my toothpaste tube contents and a stick of deodorant and, I'm set. Going forward, I will likely travel with a relatively cheap DE EJ89 or something similar in a WWII-style travel case with some DE blades in a checked suitcase or, I'll grab a tuck at my destination for a couple of bucks (average).

Most drug stores and Walmart/Target type stores will have some DE blades for sale for a couple of bucks so, while not the best blades in the world, good enough for a 3-day weekend. A longer trip will usually have a checked bag so, DE blade problem solved.

Personally, I am most concerned with checked baggage loss and theft, either contents or the whole bag, so I generally don't pack things I value in a checked bag.

-Z

Or a Muhle R89 head for $25 on an existing handle! The Fatip Piccolo I have is a good razor as well but, I hear the newer ones have alignment issues.

Or a Muhle R89 head for $25 on an existing handle! The Fatip Piccolo I have is a good razor as well but, I hear the newer ones have alignment issues.

I have a R41 head when I wanna either get a close shave or donate blood. ;)

Need to investigate an R89 head. Although, really, how different would what you describe be from the Edwin Jagger DE89 I already own?

-Z

I find the Muhle razors and heads to be better finished overall. The EJ89 and Muhle R89 are twins in terms of basic manufacturing but, I prefer the Muhle handles and the superior finish for the extra ~$10 cost difference. With an R41, the $25 R89 head is an easy choice for me when I want a milder shave that is really forgiving for me with a reasonable shave gel or cream.

EJ does offer a lot more handle options if you want something a little more out of the mainstream. The heads themselves were co-developed by both.

I have a R41 head when I wanna either get a close shave or donate blood. ;)

-Z

Try some different blades and a light touch with a good cream or gel! It is pretty sensitive to differences in blades and head orientation and pressure from your hand. Mine is awesome when I have a few days of growth from a camping trip!

Your EJ89 should give you a really good close shave with the right blade for your whiskers though, I prefer the extra 'luxury' of a Muhle razor head.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When we traveled to Mexico for many years I would keep it small amount of shave gear and not the best of shave gear but very good none the less.
This is from a archived photo I took like 5 years ago, the razor is a RR old type open comb(mild range) a cheap Chinese synthetic brush and some other great shaving gear. The bowl is small and was not sure if I would need it and a Arco soap stick is all a person really needs (bugs hate Arco). I have a lot better gear for travelling but my health has changed so travelling are more fond memories for now. Personna has a good plastic tuck for disposing of spent blades also in the bottom of the tuck.
We where allowed 1 big suitcase per person and a carry on when travelling charter(Sunwing airlines usually).
travel kit (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

During the last few years I've done a lot of domestic business travel, and I only once checked a bag. After some experimentation, I settled down to a fairly simple combination of a Mach 3 packed in a Gillette travel case, travel-size can of Foamy, and a 50ml bottle of Old Spice or Tabac. I have a mini Dopp kit that holds the Gillette travel case, my Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush travel case, and a comb perfectly.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here are some ideas for travel.

I’m a straight razor user, so I have to check a bag if I go by air. If I go by car, I’ll take a nicer razor, but if by air, usually a cheap vintage razor or a small Henckels stainless. I can carry two in a bintage double coffin that will het me through 4 months, or I can carry one and a Shapton G7 0.85u hone and I’m good forever. The strop is a regular strop in a strop case. By air, it gets packed against the side of a hard sided checked case, if by car, it just lays in the back seat or trunk. I take a 15 foot piece of paracord that can attach the strop to anything, and it serves as a clothesline for drying the delicates. I can also use a 3” wide piece of kangaroo leather, it‘s so thin that it will roll up into a pill bottle.

CD9AA98D-EED9-414C-AB04-00078EE24C4F.jpeg
B72FD25F-31BE-4862-93EC-A253E5D33959.jpeg
ECDC0D3E-AE6A-4E11-B3C1-4C722C43B18B.jpeg
AFBE7496-ACF6-477C-9D21-6134F3EFF5B2.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
For brushes and lather fuel, I prefer a badger or synthetic since neither synth fibers or badger hair absorbs water. Boar bristles do, but the advantage is that you can get a boar for $5 or so. They can fit in a ventilated pill bottle or the right brush handle will fit under the side loop of a L.L. Bean medium travel bag. More on this below.

That’s Martin de Candre pushed into a D.R. Harris tube, small and a pure coconut oil soap will lather in any water. A 90g tin of soap will work too. Sample size creams and fragrances are great for some variety on trips.

Shampoo os a D.R Harris shampoo bar. A piece of Martin de Candre Marseilles soap can be used on the body and hands, and is actually plenty slick enough to shave with if you don’t mind a non-lathering product. A small alum stick does the deodorant duty and for the rare nick.

347525E9-6951-4F23-97B7-B4D39BDC0461.jpeg
A3A46DAA-E153-47D7-BAF4-570CB42CA2C5.jpeg
45CED230-AB6F-4AD0-B103-1C7C21253AB0.jpeg
EB4658DB-E7F7-4E19-97F1-9A8B85518CA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom