What's new

Review - Swedish Swing SB

Just prior to the transition from 2022 to 2023 I got the opportunity to acquire a Swedish Swing closed comb safety razor. This razor has been on my watch and wanted list from very early on in my DE shaving journey when @Jack Goossen reached out to me and suggested I should really give this razor a try. Jack knows his stuff, so subsequently I set out to find a Swing, but they were either not available or beyond my initial price points. Jack was also very gracious and kind to gift me a Matador which kind of lessened the need for the Swing. And still the itch was scratched, so I was stoked when I got the opportunity to finally get one at a fair price from my local shaving shop.

The Swing has a bakelite handle and is - as far as I can tell - made out of solid brass (but I could easily believe that it is actually an all-stainless steel razor too) with either a nickel or chrome plating. I assume nickel by the way as this was the way back in the day I believe. I am not too familiar with bakelite in razors, so I have stored the handle away and use aftermarket handles instead. Not much is known about these razors, but searching the internet I found out that Swing razors where made between 1923 and 1952 and Swing not only made razors, but also razor blades (a few were supplied with the razor I bought). The store owner thought this particular razor was from 1923, but there is no way of telling as Swing does not have date codes like Gillette's carried. Together with the bakelite handle I am tempted to think the 1920s-1930s would be an accurate indication.

The blade gap on this razor is huge.

Without calipers I cannot tell with exact science, but an eye test next to my Timeless Ti95 makes me believe it is at least as wide as that. Blade exposure seems to be neutral, perhaps a tiny bit positive as I think I have blade feel when shaving. It shares its comfort with the Ti95 by the way, because even with these specs it is comfortable and smooth and very easy to use.

It can handle all modern DE blades - so no special fixtures or features. Alignment is rock solid and it clamps the blade very well. During shaving I get no audio feedback at all and there are times when I doubted if I really had loaded a blade or not. The shaving angle is slightly more than 30 degrees I think, but the Swing works at steeper angles as well - but less steep than my Tech for example because of the gap between blade and safety bar. Fully steep (riding the bar) I had the impression the razor was not shaving, but could be me.

One thing is for sure: do not let its comfort deceive you, because this is one effective and efficient razor. I shaved with it this morning with a fresher blade and I was at DFS/BBS-ish levels on my cheeks after the first pass already. I think only my R41 and Ti95 can achieve the same level of effectiveness, and maybe, just maybe, the Swing is even more effective than those two - I need further shaves in the books to really substantiate that conclusion. So at least this morning the Swing shaved with the comfort of a Tech and the effectiveness of a R41.

Finally I think it is a beauty to look at! I gave the razor some extra polish and buffing over the weekend, and while the scratching on the surface (which considering its age is no big surprise nor issue), I think the razor shines!

If you get the chance of spotting one of these and you want something other than a Gillette vintage razor, this one is definitely an addition to your den and collection.

Just prior to the transition from 2022 to 2023 I got the opportunity to acquire a Swedish Swing closed comb safety razor. This razor has been on my watch and wanted list from very early on in my DE shaving journey when @Jack Goossen reached out to me and suggested I should really give this razor a try. Jack knows his stuff, so subsequently I set out to find a Swing, but they were either not available or beyond my initial price points. Jack was also very gracious and kind to gift me a Matador which kind of lessened the need for the Swing. And still the itch was scratched, so I was stoked when I got the opportunity to finally get one at a fair price from my local shaving shop.

The Swing has a bakelite handle and is - as far as I can tell - made out of solid brass (but I could easily believe that it is actually an all-stainless steel razor too) with either a nickel or chrome plating. I assume nickel by the way as this was the way back in the day I believe. I am not too familiar with bakelite in razors, so I have stored the handle away and use aftermarket handles instead. Not much is known about these razors, but searching the internet I found out that Swing razors where made between 1923 and 1952 and Swing not only made razors, but also razor blades (a few were supplied with the razor I bought). The store owner thought this particular razor was from 1923, but there is no way of telling as Swing does not have date codes like Gillette's carried. Together with the bakelite handle I am tempted to think the 1920s-1930s would be an accurate indication.

Without calipers I cannot tell with exact science, but an eye test next to my Timeless Ti95 makes me believe it is at least as wide as that. Blade exposure seems to be neutral, perhaps a tiny bit positive as I think I have blade feel when shaving. It shares its comfort with the Ti95 by the way, because even with these specs it is comfortable and smooth and very easy to use.

It can handle all modern DE blades - so no special fixtures or features. Alignment is rock solid and it clamps the blade very well. During shaving I get no audio feedback at all and there are times when I doubted if I really had loaded a blade or not. The shaving angle is slightly more than 30 degrees I think, but the Swing works at steeper angles as well - but less steep than my Tech for example because of the gap between blade and safety bar. Fully steep (riding the bar) I had the impression the razor was not shaving, but could be me.

One thing is for sure: do not let its comfort deceive you, because this is one effective and efficient razor. I shaved with it this morning with a fresher blade and I was at DFS/BBS-ish levels on my cheeks after the first pass already. I think only my R41 and Ti95 can achieve the same level of effectiveness, and maybe, just maybe, the Swing is even more effective than those two - I need further shaves in the books to really substantiate that conclusion. So at least this morning the Swing shaved with the comfort of a Tech and the effectiveness of a R41.

Finally I think it is a beauty to look at! I gave the razor some extra polish and buffing over the weekend, and while the scratching on the surface (which considering its age is no big surprise nor issue), I think the razor shines!

If you get the chance of spotting one of these and you want something other than a Gillette vintage razor, this one is definitely an addition to your den and collection.
Excellent review of an excellent razor.
Swedish DE razors are an example of the proverbial Swedish craftsmanship.

Thanks for posting this excellent review. It is a beautiful razor and one that I had not heard of before. I think bakelite is a nice material and the head of this razor looks more rounded and modern, less purely utilitarian than the equivalent period Gillettes. It maybe reminds me of the Razorine Flatboy head a little, judging by the photos.

I congratulate you for finding one in such a nice condition.

Thanks for posting this excellent review. It is a beautiful razor and one that I had not heard of before. I think bakelite is a nice material and the head of this razor looks more rounded and modern, less purely utilitarian than the equivalent period Gillettes. It maybe reminds me of the Razorine Flatboy head a little, judging by the photos.

I congratulate you for finding one in such a nice condition.
Thank you very much sir! And a great follow up question. Excuse my photographic skills as they are limited with my Ice Age iPhone, but here are the Swing and Flatboy side by side:

and side by side in close up:

so there is (more) blade curvature with the Swing compared to the Flatboy. And yes, I like the rounded-ness of the Swing - almost art deco kind of look and feel to it.

Cheers and thanks for your feedback!

Guido.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It reminds me of the CLIX 500 razor, which I shaved with today for "Cheapie SOTD" week. You can read about it in my shave journal if you are interested. But the Swing seems like it is a bit more efficient based on your review. I usually keep and eye out for the Swing razors, but they seem to be running a bit high these days.

You can read about it in my shave journal if you are interested.
Read it this morning! Great condition of that razor too!
they seem to be running a bit high these days
Check. That’s why I left it on the shelf until the shop owner made me a personal offer as he said he recognised my BOSC nature when it comes to DE shaving. He wanted the Swing to have a good home :001_wub:.

Cheers,

Guido

Nice looking razor!

Very nice write up, Guido....and thanks to @Jack Goossen for bringing it to your attention...

It was gracious of the shop owner to offer it to you at a better price due to your love of DE shaving. That's a nice story in and of itself. Awesome.
Most certainly Kim! And I know I could have gotten it for even less (in fact I did, because I found and bought a second one in great condition), but I like to support local shop owners and entrepreneurs so a little margin is ok in my book.

And @Jack Goossen is, well, Jack, what’s there not to like about him?! 😎

Cheers,

Guido

Most certainly Kim! And I know I could have gotten it for even less (in fact I did, because I found and bought a second one in great condition), but I like to support local shop owners and entrepreneurs so a little margin is ok in my book.

And @Jack Goossen is, well, Jack, what’s there not to like about him?! 😎

Cheers,

Guido
Don't get me started 😇

Nice reactions on the review.
Still surprised how much outstanding DE gear flies under the radar.
The Swing is not the only one.
It looks like European vintage razors are the largest group, I think many of those surpass the vintage Gillettes in shaving quality. Some even outperform today's top razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Very nice review of an outstanding razor that I hold in very high esteem. The Swing resides in my Big Dogs Category.
20220817_144232~2.jpg

A few days ago I accidentally found one while I was looking around the bay for a few specific razors. It's in very good condition or at least that's what I saw from the pictures, but since it's a brass razor I have nothing to worry about. Once it arrives I will post some pictures and share my thoughts on how it performs.

Top Bottom