What's new

Simpsons new PLATINUM Synthetic Brushes Anyone?

I am afraid we may be heading into a mess. (No, this is not a political post. :sneaky2:)

Trying to gather impressions and reviews about the new Simpsons Platinum synthetic brushes, I found several threads after the introduction of the Platinum Grade where posters responded to questions about the new grade, some of them seemingly referring to earlier (now Sovereign grade) Simpsons synthetics without paying attention to the difference between Sovereign and Platinum.

Simpsons wrote me a few days ago that they ‘have a full range of our Simpsons handles available in sovereign and in due course will have the same available in the platinum (synthetic) range’.

First I thought that shavers might tell the two grades apart by the colour of the handle (e.g. Sovereign Chubby 2 in white faux ivory, Platinum Chubby 2 in black faux ivory), but recently the venerable faux ivory white Chubby 2 became available in Platinum too.

Can you tell the difference?

1673112234501.jpeg

1673112166781.jpeg

You have to look twice to see that the Sovereign Grade has ‘Sovereign Fibre’ written on it, while the Platinum Grade has ‘Synthetic Bristle’ written on it - ‘Synthetic Bristle’ just like my 2018 Simpsons synthetic. :confused1
No matter how much I like the brande, I don’t think Simpsons did themselves any favours with this… :001_unsur

Be that as it may, could you share with me your impressions about the NEW Simpsons PLATINUM synthetic brushes and - if I may ask - refrain from commenting about earlier Simpsons synthetic unless you make it abundantly clear that this comment refers to the earlier Simpsons synthetic?

I am afraid that in the future shavers will have a hard time telling reviews and comments about the two different synthetic fibres apart.
So we might as well help to clear the picture here, can we?

Thank you for your inputs.

B.

(pictures courtesy Simpsons)

Last edited:
I'm holding out for High Mountain Manchurian Sovereign Platinum.

It's coming.

That said, I can't tell them apart visually. I've never used any of them. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Sovereign M7 though. It was a bit confusing on the site, to see the prices and have to check for wording on which grade. I guess it's no different than Badger grading.

The first Simpson synthetic, the Chubby 2, used the Platinum fibre. It's the same Platinum that is still used today for brushes labeled "synthetic bristle". They then started offering the Platinum in a couple other handles, too (e.g. Duke 3, M7). A few years ago (around late 2019/early 2020), they introduced the Sovereign grade in their Trafalgar line of brushes. Since then, they've started to roll out the Sovereign grade in their more traditional handles. They've also started using the Platinum in more handles, like the Rover and Captain. It seems their plan is to offer both grades in the same handles, so you do need to read carefully to make sure you know what you're buying.

Anything prior to the Trafalar brushes used the same fibre that is considered "Platinum" today. I don't recall when they started using the term "Platinum", but it might have been after they introduced the "Sovereign" Trafalgar brushes so that they could distinguish the difference between the two materials. If you have a Simpson from 2018 labeled "Synthetic Bristle", it's the same as the current Platinum fibre.

Simpson seems to label things as "New" on their website anytime something has recently been added, even if it's a brush that has existed for a long time. So, if something was out of stock, it would not be on the website, but would then be labeled as "New" when it becomes available again. An example of this would be the Classic 1 2 Band Silvertip currently listed as "New" on the website, but they've made this brush in the past, so it's only new because they are now available again.

The Platinum feels softer on the face than the Sovereign grade. IMO, the Platinum feels much more luxurious, although the Sovereign brushes are really nice, too.

The first Simpson synthetic, the Chubby 2, used the Platinum fibre. It's the same Platinum that is still used today for brushes labeled "synthetic bristle". They then started offering the Platinum in a couple other handles, too (e.g. Duke 3, M7). A few years ago (around late 2019/early 2020), they introduced the Sovereign grade in their Trafalgar line of brushes. Since then, they've started to roll out the Sovereign grade in their more traditional handles. They've also started using the Platinum in more handles, like the Rover and Captain. It seems their plan is to offer both grades in the same handles, so you do need to read carefully to make sure you know what you're buying.

Anything prior to the Trafalar brushes used the same fibre that is considered "Platinum" today. I don't recall when they started using the term "Platinum", but it might have been after they introduced the "Sovereign" Trafalgar brushes so that they could distinguish the difference between the two materials. If you have a Simpson from 2018 labeled "Synthetic Bristle", it's the same as the current Platinum fibre.

Simpson seems to label things as "New" on their website anytime something has recently been added, even if it's a brush that has existed for a long time. So, if something was out of stock, it would not be on the website, but would then be labeled as "New" when it becomes available again. An example of this would be the Classic 1 2 Band Silvertip currently listed as "New" on the website, but they've made this brush in the past, so it's only new because they are now available again.

The Platinum feels softer on the face than the Sovereign grade. IMO, the Platinum feels much more luxurious, although the Sovereign brushes are really nice, too.
So anyone who has a Trafalgar T# synthetic brush has the "sovereign" fibers?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think the earliest Chubby 2 synthetics were labelled 'Synthetic Badger' and not 'Bristle' which is the current label. They used the same Platinum fibre, and my wonderful brush is lofted at 54mm, compared to the current 50mm which enables it to splay easily; I hear this can be difficult with the current model. To my eye the Platinum looks very different to the Sovereign with the latter having darker tips. Simpson are offering their budget Sovereign fibre in many more handle shapes now and it is all a bit confusing. Some of the latest handle colours are rather lurid for my taste and a bit 'Willie Wonka'. Here is my Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger:

20210426_082119.jpg

I own 2 Simpsons with Platinum fibers (Duke 3 and M7) and I own a T2 with their Sovereign fiber. Both grades for me needed a little break in period in order to splay the way I liked. The Sovereign fiber has some face feel to it, of which I like, but I could see someone not liking that aspect of it. I consider it their "pure" synthetic grade. The Platinum fibers has some backbone, but tips feel very soft. Harder to splay, so if you're a splayer you may have to figure it out, or change your technique. Their platinum variant absolutely seems more luxorious. I like both for what they are. I love my animal hair brushes but I could survive off of both the Simpson synthetic grades.

Regarding the pictures, I can tell the difference pretty easily, but to the untrained eye, hopefully they do their research. They are quite different.

The first Simpson synthetic, the Chubby 2, used the Platinum fibre. It's the same Platinum that is still used today for brushes labeled "synthetic bristle". They then started offering the Platinum in a couple other handles, too (e.g. Duke 3, M7). A few years ago (around late 2019/early 2020), they introduced the Sovereign grade in their Trafalgar line of brushes. It seems their plan is to offer both grades in the same handles, so you do need to read carefully to make sure you know what you're buying.

Simpson seems to label things as "New" on their website anytime something has recently been added, even if it's a brush that has existed for a long time. So, if something was out of stock, it would not be on the website, but would then be labeled as "New" when it becomes available again.

So, if I got this right, one could say:

Simpson Synthetic Badger = Synthetic Bristle (2018 Chubby 2, €67) = Platinum (2022 Chubby 2, €88) all with no change in fibres.

That is disappointing 😔, based on their website I had hoped that the ‘New Platinum’ would bring an improvement over my Synthetic Bristle Chubby from 2018, which AFAIK at that time was the only synthetic in their program.
I might have saved my €€€ plus whatever customs is going to charge me.

As much as I like the brand, the practice of showing something on their website as ‘NEW’, like the Platinum Chubby 2 in white Faux Ivory, when it anything but is (to be polite) is at least misleading. It seems I had a brush identical to the 2022 ‘New’ one already in 2018.

Regarding Simpsons expanding their two synthetic lines, the Sovereign Fibre line is already quite extensive and from the e-mail from Simpsons I take it that the Platinum line will be growing to similar dimensions.

B.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
So, if I got this right, one could say:

Simpson Synthetic Badger = Synthetic Bristle (2018 Chubby 2, €67) = Platinum (2022 Chubby 2, €88) all with no change in fibres.

That is disappointing 😔, based on their website I had hoped that the ‘New Platinum’ would bring an improvement over my Synthetic Bristle Chubby from 2018, which AFAIK at that time was the only synthetic in their program.
I might have saved my €€€ plus whatever customs is going to charge me.

As much as I like the brand, the practice of showing something on their website as ‘NEW’, like the Platinum Chubby 2 in white Faux Ivory, when it anything but is (to be polite) is at least misleading. It seems I had a brush identical to the 2022 ‘New’ one already in 2018.

Regarding Simpsons expanding their two synthetic lines, the Sovereign Fibre line is already quite extensive and from the e-mail from Simpsons I take it that the Platinum line will be growing to similar dimensions.

B.
I take your point and agree that the website could be clearer if a handle or fibre type is brand new to market. Perhaps a better description would be 'Back In Stock' after some period of unavailability. The exact same handle and fibre/hair combination may go in and out of stock several times over several years, and each time it appears it is described as 'New'. That is how I interpret it, unless it is a clearly new handle shape, colour, or fibre/hair type.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Simpsons' website does little to enhance the shoppers' experience. Descriptions are poor, and the photographs are often nearly useless.

People have been saying this for years, so Mr Watterson must be aware of it. Strange that the photographs on the website are so poor, as the photos Simpsons upload to social media are outstanding.

I am afraid we may be heading into a mess. (No, this is not a political post. :sneaky2:)

Trying to gather impressions and reviews about the new Simpsons Platinum synthetic brushes, I found several threads after the introduction of the Platinum Grade where posters responded to questions about the new grade, some of them seemingly referring to earlier (now Sovereign grade) Simpsons synthetics without paying attention to the difference between Sovereign and Platinum.

Simpsons wrote me a few days ago that they ‘have a full range of our Simpsons handles available in sovereign and in due course will have the same available in the platinum (synthetic) range’.

First I thought that shavers might tell the two grades apart by the colour of the handle (e.g. Sovereign Chubby 2 in white faux ivory, Platinum Chubby 2 in black faux ivory), but recently the venerable faux ivory white Chubby 2 became available in Platinum too.

Can you tell the difference?

View attachment 1584333

View attachment 1584331

You have to look twice to see that the Sovereign Grade has ‘Sovereign Fibre’ written on it, while the Platinum Grade has ‘Synthetic Bristle’ written on it - ‘Synthetic Bristle’ just like my 2018 Simpsons synthetic. :confused1
No matter how much I like the brande, I don’t think Simpsons did themselves any favours with this… :001_unsur

Be that as it may, could you share with me your impressions about the NEW Simpsons PLATINUM synthetic brushes and - if I may ask - refrain from commenting about earlier Simpsons synthetic unless you make it abundantly clear that this comment refers to the earlier Simpsons synthetic?

I am afraid that in the future shavers will have a hard time telling reviews and comments about the two different synthetic fibres apart.
So we might as well help to clear the picture here, can we?

Thank you for your inputs.

B.

(pictures courtesy Simpsons)
Honestly I can tell a difference between the two pictures. The Chubby with the sovereign grade fibers to me looks more obviously synthetic while the Chubby with the platinum grade looks more like natural badger. I have brushes with both grades and both are very good. The sovereign grade has more backbone than the platinum but the tips of the platinum grade are softer

The Chubby with the sovereign grade fibers to me looks more obviously synthetic while the Chubby with the platinum grade looks more like natural badger.
+1 - I found that too. And the knot appears to fan out less for the Platinum brush, but maybe you also see that as obviously synthetic vs more like natural badger.

Guido

Sounds like my employer. The payroll department doesn’t communicate with the timesheet department.
Simpsons' website does little to enhance the shoppers' experience. Descriptions are poor, and the photographs are often nearly useless.

People have been saying this for years, so Mr Watterson must be aware of it. Strange that the photographs on the website are so poor, as the photos Simpsons upload to social media are outstanding.

AP Shave Co. claims to have recently sourced the same synthetic fibre that Simpson's uses in both grades of their synthetic knots. They offer them in UHD and normal knots, in fan and bulb shapes. They call them "titanium" and "independent."

Titanium = Simpson's Platinum
Independent = Simpson's Sovereign

Someone at Simpson's is probably going to lose their job over it.

Sourcing the fibre is not the same thing as sourcing the knots. It remains to be seen if they are equal quality to Simpson's offerings. They are certainly far cheaper, at least for the Platinum look alike.

Sourcing the fibre is not the same thing as sourcing the knots.
I asked Andrew some questions about these and there are several variants of shape and density. It is possible this is the difference between a Chubby and a Duke(I don't know), but the knot shapes appear to be different so maybe that's how it was possible to get the knots made without stepping on Simpson's toes? I am actually looking forward to getting a standard one because it is more of a hybrid like Simpson's badgers, unlike the recent synthetics that are approaching Euro-bulb.

I asked Andrew some questions about these and there are several variants of shape and density. It is possible this is the difference between a Chubby and a Duke(I don't know), but the knot shapes appear to be different so maybe that's how it was possible to get the knots made without stepping on Simpson's toes? I am actually looking forward to getting a standard one because it is more of a hybrid like Simpson's badgers, unlike the recent synthetics that are approaching Euro-bulb.
That was my understanding as well, that Simpson's doesn't order pre-made knots, they order the fibre in multi-kilogram bundles and make the knots themselves.

Top Bottom