What's new

End of the Casual Purchases - Bang

Well . . . crud.

I was planning to get in a purchase on the BST today. Then the SigFem came home in a cab, stopped from driving home with a blown transmission

Good thing I already had a good supply of soap and blades. Sigh

:frown:

- John

Well . . . crud.

I was planning to get in a purchase on the BST today. Then the SigFem came home in a cab, stopped from driving home with a blown transmission

Good thing I already had a good supply of soap and blades. Sigh

:frown:

- John

That's a bummer! :eek: And it's not like the good old days anymore when you could swap that thing out with your buddies on a Sunday over a case of beer...cars is complikated nowadays! :tongue:

Ah, the good old days when cars were simple.

I remember taking the engine right out of a Citroen 2CV I had years ago by hand, on my own with no lifting gear!

I had to fit a new clutch and it was the easiest to get it out onto a bench. Mind you, the 2CV has a 602cc horizontally opposed twin cylinder engine along the lines of the BMW Boxer bike engine! Great cars. You could remove almost all the bodywork with the wheelbrace, the supplied wrench to take the wheels off!

Ah, the good old days when cars were simple.

I remember taking the engine right out of a Citroen 2CV I had years ago by hand, on my own with no lifting gear!

I had to fit a new clutch and it was the easiest to get it out onto a bench. Mind you, the 2CV has a 602cc horizontally opposed twin cylinder engine along the lines of the BMW Boxer bike engine! Great cars. You could remove almost all the bodywork with the wheelbrace, the supplied wrench to take the wheels off!

Love the rubber band things that they used for the seats.

I'm sorry about the car, but it least it wasn't something more serious like an accident.

+1.

One day I said bye to Mrs. Chip in the driveway, five minutes later she called and told me I had to come get her because she was upside down. I was less than a kilometer ahead of her on the road when it happened. Thankfully the police never asked exactly how I ended up with my truck facing the wrong direction on the side of the road or commented on my illegal U-turn as I left.

Anyway, I'm sure this goes without saying but it's better to be without the money than without the wife.

+1.

One day I said bye to Mrs. Chip in the driveway, five minutes later she called and told me I had to come get her because she was upside down. I was less than a kilometer ahead of her on the road when it happened. Thankfully the police never asked exactly how I ended up with my truck facing the wrong direction on the side of the road or commented on my illegal U-turn as I left.

Must be something about the place, Chip. A couple of years ago, the SigFem and rodent took off on a cross-Canada road trip. Three days later, I get a call at work in the middle of the day. Using my amazing mental abilities, I look at the call display, pick up the phone, sigh and say "ok, what's happened?"

She gurgles for a second and then says "I've flipped the car over".

I sighed and --knowing what the answer was going to be but I had to try-- "you know, they (This was a rental) will just give you another car".

She hesitates for a minute and then says "I don't want to drive anymore".

The only good things about this were that I found out I can still drive 23 hours at a stretch and that she was only in Virden. If this was you or me or a lot of people I know, we would have been well into Ontario three days into the trip.

I'm sorry about the car, but it least it wasn't something more serious like an accident.

Anyway, I'm sure this goes without saying but it's better to be without the money than without the wife.

+1 or 2. She is back driving now and there are no long term injuries. The mystery of how she flipped a car on a straight, level, dry, highway remains but we can't know everything, can we :001_rolle

Last edited:
Another "glad it was just the car" vote!

My boss in my last job watched in his rear view mirror as his wife's car flipped right behind him. I can't imagine that. Happily, she survived.

(Still, even with the right perspective, I'll commiserate with you on the "no more casual purchase" pain...:frown:)

Must be something about the place, Chip. A couple of years ago, the SigFem and rodent took off on a cross-Canada road trip. Three days later, I get a call at work in the middle of the day. Using my amazing mental abilities, I look at the call display, pick up the phone, sigh and say "ok, what's happened?"

She gurgles for a second and then says "I've flipped the car over".

I sighed and --knowing what the answer was going to be but I had to try-- "you know, they (This was a rental) will just give you another car".

She hesitates for a minute and then says "I don't want to drive anymore".

The only good things about this were that I found out I can still drive 23 hours at a stretch and that she was only in Virden. If this was you or me or a lot of people I know, we would have been well into Ontario three days into the trip.

+1 or 2. She is back driving now and there are no long term injuries. The mystery of how she flipped a car on a straight, level, dry, highway remains but we can't know everything, can we :001_rolle

To Mrs. Chip's credit, it was on an exit in the middle of winter after freezing rain, and four people went off in the same spot within an hour of her car getting towed out. Though we've agreed she's not allowed to do any more vehicular acrobatics and I won't try to fold half-tons in half with a motorcycle. :biggrin:

Top Bottom