What's new

TSA safety razor carry-on ban

I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.

I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
The thread covering the issue and the incident is here
New rules for US airport security - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-rules-for-us-airport-security.633447/

A useful thread, post #70 gives the SR incident background, which TSA are using as justification.

I am just glad you chose not to bin your brand new razor, it sounded like it was really working well for you.
Yes, thanks! Here’s a funny story: I mailed a blade to my hotel, but it didn’t arrive in time so I went to a barbershop in New Orleans and bought a tuck of what they had (Dorcos). I had these blades in my bag when I went through N.O. security and the only thing they asked me about was my bike lock.

My layover was so long at my connecting airport (I’m still there, in fact), that I left the airport for dinner. Not wanting to push my luck, I stashed the Dorcos in an airport bathroom before I left, to be claimed later. So now I’m sitting on a plane with nine blades (but no razor!).

This is a bummer. I was sincerely looking forward to mailing myself a blade or 2 the next time I had to fly somewhere long enough to require a shave but short enough to not have to check a bag, plotting out which famous person to put on the return address.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This is a bummer. I was sincerely looking forward to mailing myself a blade or 2 the next time I had to fly somewhere long enough to require a shave but short enough to not have to check a bag, plotting out which famous person to put on the return address.

Well, you can still do that. Just mail the razor too

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The way I see it is that the rules do not matter. What matters is how the particular TSA agent decides to interpret the rules, at the time you pass through security. They can choose to confiscate, or allow, anything they want, legal or not, literally making the rules up on a whim as they go along. The fact you may have taken the same razor every week for a year does not mean it cannot be confiscated this time. If you take any razor with you in carry on which you cannot bear to lose, and it is confiscated, then the fault is yours for expecting each and every TSA agent to fully understand and follow the rules, when there is plenty of evidence that they do not always do so.

Well, you can still do that. Just mail the razor too
I could, but now we're talking a few dollars instead of just a postage stamp. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there, I'm not sure when I'm likely to fly somewhere for 3-6 days anyway to be honest.

Top Bottom