What's new

More CCW questions from the noob to you old timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks for the info.

Actually it was from watching YouTube where some say being able to hold the hammer down would be safer when reholstering. Any ND would be from my error pulling the trigger that’s for sure. I guess it all boils down to practice and training. Every little extra feature on a gun to increase perceived safety in the end can’t make up for that. I can see being over reliant on safeties, and holding down hammers etc and the one time a safety isn’t engaged or the thumb isn’t on the hammer is when I get shot in the jewels, or someone else gets shot.

And you are right, the p30 does look fat and bulbous lol, that’s why I wanted to go grip the thing, but in the end I do really want the P365x, and it’s cheaper to boot.

I feel this is a really big responsibility I am undertaking, and the old-man conservative risk aversion side of me is really going into over-drive looking into everything I can do to cover my bases.

Thanks for input guys, I’ll get the Sig and use the saved money for training and ammo.

I understand your concern in safely holstering a striker fired pistol which sits right over your junk pile my man.

But please realize, hundreds of thousands of millions? Of people are EDC’ing pistols right now? At this very moment?

Shouldn’t the news be filled with reports of them blowing their peckers off? I mean, wouldn’t that be good for the anti- crowd to know?

It’s not happening like that.

Think about this for a moment. Which sounds more risky of an accidental discharge?

1. In a heated moment, you pull your double action hammer fired HK, and shoot several rounds into a bad guy.

You are ready to re- holster, but the hammer is back in single action mode? You forget to drop the hammer with your thumb de- cocker and take your finger out of the trigger guard. When you actually go to re- holster, you put your thumb on the back of the hammer to holster like you do, but while you feel the hammer with your thumb, in that heated moment, you can’t tell or feel whether that hammer is down or cocked?

Then you holster a cocked pistol with a hammer? If your finger is in the trigger guard, and you pull that trigger?

No sir, you have to remember and train to do what with that HK!

A. Take your finger out of the trigger guard.
B. Flip the de- cocker lever with your thumb.
C. Re- holster the HK.

Now, let’s go through the exact same heated moment with your Sig P365X?

You pull your Striker fired Sig in a heated moment. And while there is a bullet in the chamber, the pistol isn’t in full c0ck. Why? Because a striker fired design, allows it to stay only partially c0cked until the trigger is purposely pulled to the rear c0cking it and firing it right when you need it and want it to fire.

So you point your Sig at the bad guy and fire several rounds? You are ready to re- holster now. So you remember to take your finger out of the trigger guard, because you trained to do that just like the HK.

However, the second your finger comes off the trigger and out of the guard? Your Sig goes back to rest? It’s not fully cocked anymore? And there is a falling block sitting between the firing pin an bullet? It isn’t capable of going off accidentally now, unless you put your finger back in there and pull the trigger?

Put your finger back in the HK and pull the trigger while the hammer is still c0cked.

The only thing you have to remember is your trigger finger with the Sig? But with the HK, you will have to remember your trigger finger AND the de- cocker?

Why be more concerned with a striker fired and think there is more risk of a discharge of forgetting to take your finger out of it’s trigger guard?

I would suggest sir, you should be just as worried of forgetting to swiping down that thumb de- cocker on the HK AND forgetting to take your finger out of its trigger guard?

Striker fired? Worry about just your finger.

Double action hammer? Worry about your finger and your thumb?

Train to NOT put your finger in either UNTIL you want to fire either.

Train to take your finger OFF after you have fired with either.

And I promise you, you will never accidentally discharge EITHER.

I have trained literally thousands of people with striker fired mostly, but quite a few hundred with hammer fired pistols. I’m telling you, the hammer fired myth of being more inherently safer then a striker fired pistol is a MYTH! A myth I tell you. :)

I have seen accidental discharges with both types. None of them were because of them were because of the pistol’s myths.

All of them were because of the idiots behind them not following their training.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I am 57 so we must be about the same age. I do like like Glocks, I even own 1. There is just something about that 1911. :thumbup1:

I agree, cuz I love my 1911.

However, his purpose of having a small compact pistol to carry in the tropical weather of Hawaii under a T-shirt.

The problem I see, is a micro sized 1911. For one, it doesn’t have a grip safety like the larger 1911’s.

2. This means, it’s cocked & locked with only a very small thumb safety.

3. These things above, plus it being very small with small controls? Is going to make it much less safe for a newbie?

A larger 1911 could be ok, because it has a grip safety also, but that will negate his smaller compact under the t/ shirt thing he is going for?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

However, his purpose of having a small compact pistol to carry in the tropical weather of Hawaii under a T-shirt.

The problem I see, is a micro sized 1911. For one, it doesn’t have a grip safety like the larger 1911’s.

3. These things above, plus it being very small with small controls? Is going to make it much less safe for a newbie?

A larger 1911 could be ok, because it has a grip safety also, but that will negate his smaller compact under the t/ shirt thing he is going for?
Good point, Rob. When I carry the micro 9 I am hyper aware because of the lack of a grip safety.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

The commander 1911 does not really show because of how thin it is, especially if you have a forward cant. @Kentos I think you want an external hammer but the Glock 43 fits everything you want besides that.

OkieStubble

Good point, Rob. When I carry the micro 9 I am hyper aware because of the lack of a grip safety.

You and me both. And we both are seasoned gun guys. Kento’s is not. To be honest with you? I think you have guts carrying a really small micro 1911 with large hands and just an itty bitty thumb safety? Now that takes balls imo.

I have fat meaty hands. I ain’t doing it.

The smallest 1911 I would carry cocked & locked? Is a Springfield EMP Ronin with a 3 inch slide and barrel? Why? Because it has a grip safety and still, a full sized thumb safety.

The Kimber Micro 9 and the Sig 938? Uh huh, my balls aren’t that big and I’m not ashamed to admit it. :)

All good answers, previously.

If you were looking at Glock, I would suggest "The Gadget", or the Striker Control Device. I believe Langdon Tactical has taken over production and there is a fellow on ebay whose product is pretty indistinguishable from the original. I probably would not suggest it for most folks, but if you contemplate reholstering on the move, I do see it as worthwhile (I have them mounted).

I have a Sig P250, which IMO, is about the slickest of the DA offerings made, and mine has minimal pre and post travel. Being DAO, it is (IMO/IME) far better than the DA/SA set up, and still not as fast/accurate as SA or striker.

SA, or your 1911. I picked up my first 1911 in over 20 years a few weeks ago. Absolutely no need for it. Its heavy, low capacity, higher bore axis and heavy. Much like the P7M8, its main attraction is that it makes a superlative club if you run out of ammo and someone is still within arms reach. Otherwise, its just heavy. Another analogy would be that a 1911 is like a Harley- overpriced and underpowered, but daaaang, you can make'm purty if you spend some money!

As far as carry, the gun matters less than the holster. I carry a g34 occasionally and I'm very average height/weight (and that's in shorts & Hawaiian shirt).

Two guys whose handling & draw vids are available on youtube, who I can recommend unreservedly, are/were Paul Gomez and Todd Green.

I am 57 so we must be about the same age. I do like like Glocks, I even own 1. There is just something about that 1911. :thumbup1:
yeah 59 :) had one of the first ones(glock) on order the local shop teased me in a nice way about the plastic toy and how junk 9mm was etc...

also my brother correction not 911 meant to say 1911 but the Porsche brain jumped in and posted 911 :) hahahahhaha

I think with so many custom tuned and custom parts and so on for the 911 to me they have some nostalgia and do have unique builds

funny I never watched Miami Vice until the series was over ? Just was not around in a way I could watch it BUT of course had to get a galco miami classic rig and wanted a Bren 10 but the 1911 in those was a good fit also

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A good drill for maintaining the proper placement of the trigger finger is to have the gun in a low ready position with the TRIGGER FINGER ALONG THE FRAME above the trigger guard. Raise the gun to the target, placing the trigger finger on the trigger as the sights come on target and fire a single shot. Immediately, take the trigger finger off the trigger and place it along the side of the frame and lower the gun back to the ready position. Repeat multiple times. Of course, this can be done as a dry fire exercise.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How convenient is it, to hop from one island to the next to find a gun rental? Ive never been to Hawaii? I sure would like to? :)

You have to take a commuter flight so not as nice as driving a couple hours to a neighboring town.
Hawaii is ok. Local People are for the most part friendly, the local culture is very tolerant of different races, and most value mutual respect very highly. It can also be a very backwater, old boy network, politically corrupt state as well.

Absolutely fabulous place to vacation though, just leave your sidearm at home cause ain’t no reciprocity here.

Very enamored with hi capacity 9mm “get off me“ guns like Springfield Hellcat and S&W Shield. Personally, I didn’t like the ergonomics of the Sig365 and they have had their share of problems even if they are one of the most popular choices. The only effective firearm is the one you have with you. Both these are 100% reliable and accurate enough for anything you are likely to need for immediate self defense and will ride in your pocket. I use a $5 uncle Mike’s pocket holster when I carry that is shaped like your pocket to keep the gun upright. Even as a lifelong shooter, “cocked and locked” freaks me out for carry, too, and I would never try that in a pocket. We can do really stupid stuff fast in an adrenaline dump, so practice, practice, practice drawing quickly WITHOUT putting your ding in the trigger guard for whatever you choose. Make sure whatever you choose is 100% reliable and put several hundred rounds of any type of ammo you will ever shoot thru it to verify cycling. The Hellcat had one flaw- if the trigger was pressed off center it could catch in a rare occurrence. A Apex trigger solved that. I’m also a big fan of snub nose, ported hammerless wheel guns (.357 as I’m not recoil sensitive) for pocket carry as well. Even if you miss, they will be blind and deaf! If you don’t know what you want, many ranges allow you to rent firearms. Several ranges offer packages where you can shoot as many as you want for one rental fee. Like shaving, YMMV. I have somewhat of a complex as I WANT to love Glocks because they are such fantastic guns, but…they are like trying to hold and point a brick for me. Holsters are going to be a big “try and sell” exercise for the most part.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
yeah 59 :) had one of the first ones(glock) on order the local shop teased me in a nice way about the plastic toy and how junk 9mm was etc...

also my brother correction not 911 meant to say 1911 but the Porsche brain jumped in and posted 911 :) hahahahhaha

I think with so many custom tuned and custom parts and so on for the 911 to me they have some nostalgia and do have unique builds

funny I never watched Miami Vice until the series was over ? Just was not around in a way I could watch it BUT of course had to get a galco miami classic rig and wanted a Bren 10 but the 1911 in those was a good fit also
Not to hijack this thread too much more. I was 19 and broke when Miami Vice came out but man I sure dreamed about owning a Bren 10 and a Daytona Spyder.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
How convenient is it, to hop from one island to the next to find a gun rental? Ive never been to Hawaii? I sure would like to? :)

I have no clue, but I would certainly do some island hopping to be able to shoot with her. 🙂 She used to post some wonderful snorkeling videos as well. 🔥🔥🔥

From what I understand She is the daughter of the owner/the owner of Xring. I think she was instrumental in convincing the dad to build the indoor range. It’s where I plan on taking my CCW course.

Nice! My appreciation of her attractiveness aside, X-Ring looks like a nice place. I didn't check out their prices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom